1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 12:05 PM by jtcb

NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop

Quantum_Mechanic

Greetings..!

My NUCi7KYK is stuck in a boot loop where it will show the post screen with F2, F7, and F10 options, hang there for about 5 seconds, then it will reboot and go to the post screen for about 3 seconds, then the "F" options disappear and the phrase "Preparing Automatic Repair" will show up. This will stay up for about 10 seconds and then the process will start over again. I was not using the computer when this issue started. It was idling and I was away from my desk for several hours. I came back to see this issue. I have 32gB of Gskill Ripjaws DDR4 2800 memory (part number F4-2800C 18D-32GRS) which Intel approved the 16gB version of the same memory here: System Memory for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK . Also a Samsung 950 PRO 512 gB M2 drive. As far as troubleshooting goes, I first unplugged everything from the NUC except mouse, keyboard, and monitor and tried to reboot. No luck. I then tried a different mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Again no luck. I then switched my monitor from the Display Port output to HDMI. without success. I removed one stick of memory, keeping the memory in the lower slot as recommended. Fail. I then switched them memory stick with the one I had removed. Fail. I moved the SSD to the other slot. Again, no luck. I verified I have appropriate power from the wall outlet with a DVOM and plugged the NUC into another outlet just to be sure. I then updated the BIOS to the latest version and tried a bios recovery. Something odd I have noticed is in the opening screen of the UEFI BIOS in the System Information box, the fields for Manufacturer, Product Name, and Version are all blank but the serial number is populated with the correct info. I have submitted a web ticket but so far have gotten no response. Anyone out there seen anything like this or maybe know how I can get this resolved? Any info is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
          N.Scott.Pearson

The "Preparing Automatic Repair" message is from the O/S, not the BIOS - and this means that you likely have a corrupted O/S install and may need to reinstall the O/S.. To verify, try booting from a Linux Live USB key or something like that and see if this will work (use F10 to select this key). You could also try booting from MemTest86+ USB key and test the memory in the process...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
            Quantum_Mechanic

Thanks for the info Scott..!

The problem is the operating system cannot repair itself because the unit will reboot before it can go through diagnostics. This unit is my main work station so I had to purchase a second NUC from a local retailer to keep working. An unfortunate expense but necessary to minimize downtime since my NUC decided Friday evening when tech supports has gone home for the weekend is the perfect time to go down. To see if I had another hardware issue, I took the memory and SSD out of the failed unit and placed it in the new unit and upon initial boot, it went to the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen, spent about 15 seconds there, then changed to the dialog "Diagnosing", then the O.S. repaired itself and the new unit has been running flawlessly for 2 days now. In the event log all I can see is "Unexpected reboot" for an error. Out of curiosity, I re-installed the memory and SSD into the old unit and tried to boot with the new power supply. The unit will post and go to the Windows screen then after a few seconds will drop out and go back into the boot loop. Although I did not boot into and run Memtest, I am convinced it is a hardware issue at this time but I am fearful as to why it failed in the first place.

I have read through some of your previous posts regarding the Gen 6 NUCs and found that you aren't a particularly big fan of the Samsung 950 PRO SSD. This is the SSD I was planning to run so I have loaded Samsung Magician and confirmed I have the latest firmware to (hopefully) reduce the possibility that this was the cause of my failure. All drivers and BIOS are up to date and it is currently running without issue. Should I consider getting a different SSD? I travel and will be going abroad for a year starting in September and I can't have a reliability issue since an RMA from where I will be going is not an option. Once my RMA with this unit is complete, I will have a backup unit but this one lasted barely over a month and I would like to do everything I can to make this new unit last as long as possible. I do use a Razer Core external graphics dock with an Nvidia 980 GTX discrete graphics card connected via Thunderbolt 3 to run multiple monitors (4) and it too has been operating flawlessly until this issue. I guess I am worried that I have a lot of new technology all playing together for the first time and they may not like one another just yet...

BTW I did try to boot into Ubuntu 16.04 Linux from a flash drive and it just hung for a short time and rebooted.

I LOVE the speed of this little computer. It is not quite desktop fast (compared to another i7 but it is at least as good as most - if not all - i5 processors that have not been overclocked) but it is close enough that you hardly notice a difference. It's PC Mark score was within 2% of my i7 Ivy bridge desktop and that's pretty darn fast. I just want it to be reliable and stable. Any suggestions would help and be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your reply and your insight.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Quantum_Mechanic,

It looks that you have a defective unit and it needs to be replaced, I suggest you to contact Intel support and get a replacement for the unit, you can submit a warranty replacement here:
              https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US

Regards,

Ivan

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                Quantum_Mechanic

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for your contact. In the information listed above, did you see something I could do different in the future to prevent this?

Thank you for your time.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Quantum_Mechanic:

You did nothing wrong, and all the troubleshoot steps you tried are the ones that we recommend.

If the SSD works fine on a different Intel® NUC6i7KYK NUC, that means the SSD is working fine, and you can use it with the NUC.

Additionally let me give you a link for tested peripherals, for this NUC, just so you can check it, there are many different products that are not on that list that will work with the NUC as well:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020804.html

Please use the following link if you need to get in contact directly with us through chat, email, online support or phone support, just select Intel® NUC and you will get the option to contact us:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                    ELEOW

I am experiencing similar problem. Except that for mine, no OS has even been installed yet.

LED is On (blue solid colour) but nothing appears on the HDMI monitor. After about 10 seconds, LED flashes then becomes solid colour again (seems to be rebooting). This cycle repeats indefinitely.

I have confirmed that the HDMI cable and monitor, mouse and keyboard are working with another computer. I have removed and replaced the memory and ssd and ensured that they are inserted correctly and also tried different slots.

I have also performed a BIOS recovery with KY0041.BIO. But still no display, so I have no idea if it is updating, failed or whatever. This time the LED stays on. I waited 30 minutes and then shut it down.

SSD: Samsung V-NAND 950PRO M2 512GB (MZ-V5P512BW)

Memory: 2 x 16GB DDR4 Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8213

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Quantum_Mechanic :

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance or the problem was resolved?

To ELEOW:

The problem could be related to a hardware problem with the NUC itself.

Did you try the display port?

Did you test it without the SSD connected to it, we should get the BIOS or an error message?

Did the NUC work fine before?

Did you test it with just one memory stick?

If the problem persists after that, for further assistance, please submit your inquiry on a new thread in order for us to help you with the specific problem the NUC might have.

Regards

Alberto

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                        ELEOW

Hi Alberto,

In reply to your questions:

Did you try the display port?

I did not try the display port. Only the HDMI. Okay, maybe I will try to find a mDP cable and try that.

Did you test it without the SSD connected to it, we should get the BIOS or an error message?

Yes I tried without the SSD. Still nothing is shown on my monitor. But LED blinks

Did the NUC work fine before?

Nope. I have never gotten it to show up anything on my screen even once.

Did you test it with just one memory stick?

Yes I tried with each of the memory sticks in turn. Same problem.

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                          Intel Corporation

Hello ELEOW:

Thank you very much for that information.

Perfect, if you have the option to use the display port, that will be very useful in order to isolate a possible problem with the HDMI port.

Now, if the problem persists after that, the problem could be related to the NUC itself, and in that case a replacement will be needed, the NUC has 3 years of warranty and to replace it you can verify with the place of purchase to check if they can do that for you, or we can always replace it.

If you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select processor on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                            ELEOW

Nope mDP didn't work either.

Thanks Alberto. Actually I have already contacted Intel support. My case number is #01786343. I bought it from Amazon and it seems I can only get a return rather than an exchange. So I asked Intel support to forward it to a local rep and to contact me for more options. But so far, no news from them.

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                              Intel Corporation

Hello ELEOW:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

Perfect, an agent from your local support will get in contact with you to provide further assistance.

Regards

Alberto

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                                jtcb

Hello all,

I am experiencing very similar issue except I have a NUC6i5SYH. In addition, the NUC keeps on waking up itself after I set it to sleep whenever I go to bed. I went through all the diagnostics as suggested by Intel Corporation. In fact, I have swapped the SSD and ram to a NUC6i3SYH that I built for my dad. Both work fine in them. I also swapped the SSD and ram in NUC6i3SYH into my NUC6i5SYH. The issue happened.

Should I go ahead and open a ticket or wait for advice here?

Thanks.

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                                  ELEOW

Hi Alberto, disappointingly, Intel local support never did get back to me. But I did an exchange through Amazon.

With the new unit, I was experiencing exact same problem. Figured it had to be the new DDR4 ram or SSD after all. Managed to test on another set of DDR4 ram and finally.. I get power on all my attached devices and i see the boot screen!

Turns out even with a solid blue LED, the memory could still be the one that is faulty.

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYK Stuck In a Boot Loop
                                    ELEOW

Could it possibly be Wake-on-Lan? Did u try disabling all network connections and then putting it to sleep?

1 2 Previous Next