Please try uninstalling current driver version installed, use this method;
- Open the Device Manager.
- Find the Intel Graphics Driver.
- Right click Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
- Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
- Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
Once done try with this version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26078/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88… and use this method for the installation How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &... .
I have a couple of questions:
1. I am a little confused as to the driver version you indicated that I should download. My current version from Dell is 220.127.116.1154. You pointed to a 15.40.xx.xxxx series of drivers unless I went to the wrong place but according to the specs it seems to be the correct spot. I have a Windows 10 64-bit system with an Intel i7-6700HQ processor (which is a 6th Gen processor) and the Intel HD 530 Graphics.
2. Should I be using drivers from Dell and not Intel? Does Dell customize these drivers and change the version number?
1. Yes, that is the correct driver version according to your graphics controller, you can even try with the Beta version Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40].
2. Normally, computer manufacturers customize drivers according to each computer model, this could include the driver version but I cannot confirm that since I can only comment on the Intel® HD Graphics version.
Intel uses the following schema to define the driver versions.
See here for more information; Understanding The Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number.
I believe you are correct as far as Dell customizing the original Intel driver. I did report this to Dell and hopefully with the next release of the driver this will be fixed. In the meantime what I ended up doing was disabling the service since it appears to refer to protecting digital copyrighted content which is something I don't currently access. So I will wait until a newer driver is released and see if it is fixed.