13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 11:58 AM by Intel Corporation

No POST with DQ77KB

Nick2015

Hello,

I have a problem with my new DQ77KB. There is no POST, no beep and the screen (via HDMI) stays empty.

CPU is a i5-3470s, which should work with this mainboard.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
          Gize2

Similar problem:  https://communities.intel.com/message/178179

Latest BIOS here:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25261/BIOS-Update-KBQ7710H-86A-

Other than that, make sure your power supply is the correct voltage for the mainboard.

Also, you could try unplugging both the PC and the monitor from the wall, waiting 20-30 seconds, then plug them back in and start up.  Every once in awhile, digital connections have some bad hair days when trying to communicate.

Lastly, you could try disconnecting the motherboard from power (make sure the standby LED is off), and remove all RAM, connect the power back to the mainboard and start it up.  You should have some memory beeps (three), and that will at least let you know your board is semi-OK.  I don't see a PC speaker on that mainboard, so I suppose it's routed through the 3.5" green line out header.

• 2. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
            Nick2015

Thank you. It is the same issue as here described:

DQ77KB no video no post no beeps

Power supply ist the correct voltage -> 19 V (180 Watt)

CPU fan is rotating, power LED is on but there is no POST. Is it possible to make a BIOS update despite the fact that there is no POST?

I disconnected the motherboard from power an removed RAM. I started the computer up and I heard signals, which told me that there is a RAM issue.

I will try the 20-30 seconds unplugging test.

EDIT: Display cable test did not help. When I plug an USB stick to the motherboard it remains without light.

• 3. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
              Gize2

I disconnected the motherboard from power an removed RAM. I started the computer up and I heard signals, which told me that there is a RAM issue.

It should beep if there is no RAM present, that's a good thing.  Maybe try a different piece of RAM that is compatible with that mainboard?

When I plug an USB stick to the motherboard it remains without light.

So, do your keyboard lights show up (Num Lock, Caps Lock, etc.)?

Is it possible to make a BIOS update despite the fact that there is no POST?

You may not be seeing the POST sequence, since the problem may be strictly a video output one -- there is some chatter in the BIOS release notes relating to that:  https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25261/eng/KB_0058_ReleaseNotes.pdf

If you have a hard drive that has Windows or something on it, attach it to the mainboard, it would also be handy if you could plug in an LED into the HDD LED header on the mainboard.  Start it up and see if the LED blinks (HDD access), or if you can hear the HDD chattering after 20 or so seconds (however long it takes for the board to attempt to boot from it).

Assuming you have HDD access (boot), you can assume the board is functional, and your problem is strictly video, and possibly solved by BIOS upgrade.

You have to recover the BIOS like this:  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005630.html

The big caveat with that is, since you have no video output, you will not see any of the messages that tell you when it's safe to shut down.  If you attempt a BIOS recovery with no video, I'd wait 10-15 minutes or so before shutting the computer down.  Half-done BIOS updates are a sure way to brick a mainboard.

• 4. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                Nick2015

Thank you.

You are right. The motherboard beeps three times when RAM is removed. I tried other Ram units, but still I have the same problem.

When I plug a keyboard to the motherboard, there are nor lights. Num Lock, Caps Lock do not show up lights.

Also I installed another HDD but the same issue remains. I can hear that HDD does not load Windows.

• 5. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                  Gize2

Sounds pretty funky.

What's the AA number on the board?  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005624.html

Even when it's powered on, and you hit Num Lock, the keyboard light for it doesn't come on?

There are no bent pins in the processor socket?

The motherboard is properly grounded?  (*not* sitting on an anti-static bag).

The power supply you're using is an external one?

If you have a USB flash drive with an activity LED on it, you could try the USB BIOS recovery procedure *without* adding the BIOS file to the flash drive.  That way, there's no harm no foul on checking each USB port for activity.  If the USB flash drive access LED lights, you should be good to go for a BIOS recovery.

• 6. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                    Gize2

Also, if you move the BIOS configuration jumper one spot over to 'configure', does anything happen after it's turned on? 

Move the jumper when the motherboard is off as well.

• 7. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                      Nick2015

What's the AA number on the board? http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005624.html

The AA number is G81483-501.

Even when it's powered on, and you hit Num Lock, the keyboard light for it doesn't come on?

When it is powered on and I hit Num Lock the keyboard light does not come on.

There are no bent pins in the processor socket?

There are no bent pins in the socket.

The motherboard is properly grounded? (*not* sitting on an anti-static bag).

Yes, it is properly grounded.

The power supply you're using is an external one?

The power supply I am using is an external one.

If you have a USB flash drive with an activity LED on it, you could try the USB BIOS recovery procedure *without* adding the BIOS file to the flash drive. That way, there's no harm no foul on checking each USB port for activity. If the USB flash drive access LED lights, you should be good to go for a BIOS recovery.

When I plug an USB flash drive to the motherboard the light of the USB flash drive does not come on, too. I also tried to "make" recovery procedure with an empty USB flash drive. The issue still remains.

Also, if you move the BIOS configuration jumper one spot over to 'configure', does anything happen after it's turned on?

Nothing happens, when I move the BIOS configuration jumper one spot over. Still the same problem. No beep, no POST, empty screen, power LED is on the whole time, CPU fan is rotating, when the board is powered on.

• 8. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                        Gize2

You could try removing the CMOS battery for 10-20 minutes if you haven't already.

G81483-501 comes with BIOS 0051 by default according to this:  http://qdms.intel.com/dm/i.aspx/FC9E4181-F673-402A-9583-2385DE8A64FC/PCN112376-00.pdf   So, that BIOS definitely supports your CPU, haha.

I guess at this point, the only thing I find strange is that you get RAM beeps without RAM installed.  What are the model / part #'s of the RAM you've tested?

Other than that, you're pretty much at the point where unless you have a different supported CPU or power supply on hand to test with, you should seek an RMA, assuming your board is covered under warranty.

• 9. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                          Nick2015

You could try removing the CMOS battery for 10-20 minutes if you haven't already.

I did, but it did not fix the issue.

I guess at this point, the only thing I find strange is that you get RAM beeps without RAM installed. What are the model / part #'s of the RAM you've tested?

I tested:

4 GB

HMT451S6BFR8A - PB N0 AA

8 GB

KVR16S11/8

and 1 GB

EBJ11UE6BASA-AE-E

Other than that, you're pretty much at the point where unless you have a different supported CPU or power supply on hand to test with, you should seek an RMA, assuming your board is covered under warranty.

I don't have another supported CPU, but I tested another power supply without success.

Thank you.

• 10. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                            Gize2

I tested:

4 GB

HMT451S6BFR8A - PB N0 AA

8 GB

KVR16S11/8

and 1 GB

EBJ11UE6BASA-AE-E

I'll state the obvious in that all of those RAM modules should work.

I'm guessing there are no extra devices plugged into the mainboard?  (PCIe, Mini PCIe, USB, etc.)

It's too bad you don't have another CPU to try, it's always the last thing I suspect.  A simple thing like dirty CPU contact pads can create some goofy errors.

There haven't been too many Intel boards that I couldn't make functional, but every once in awhile I would see one, and it sounds like you've got one.

If I think of something else, I'll post it up, but I'm pretty much out of ideas for this one.

Sorry I couldn't help more.  Good luck

• 11. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                              Intel Corporation
                              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to Gize2, for all the information provided and the troubleshoot steps recommended.

To Nick2015, at this point you basically tried all the troubleshoot steps that we recommend, and based on that it seems to be a problem with the board.

Since you do not have the option to use a different processor on this board, or to use your processor on a different board, the best thing to do wil be to replace the board.

As an option, if there is a PC repair store close to you, they might be able to swap parts for you, to make sure if the problem is the board or processor.

The board and processor have 3 years of warranty, so, if you purchased the board less than 3 years ago we can replace it for you.

If you are interested in the replacement, in order to do that, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, online support or phone support, here is the link to do that, you just need to select the type of product you are interested in replacing and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 12. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                                Nick2015

I'm guessing there are no extra devices plugged into the mainboard? (PCIe, Mini PCIe, USB, etc.)

You are right. There are no extra devices plugged into the mainboard.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck

I have to thank you again and I think that your information can help other people in order to fix issues.

@Alberto

Thank you. I will try to get a replacement.

• 13. Re: No POST with DQ77KB
                                  Intel Corporation
                                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Nick2015:

Thank you very much for that information.

Once you get in contact with us directly we will provide all the details about the replacement process.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto