5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 1:04 PM by AU_yzy0050

Need help with SD image instructions

mrpentagon

Hey guys,

Been having a difficult time getting my galileo gen 2 up and running.

I simply need a yocto image with a standard build toolset (gcc, ..) and the ability to install deb/rpm/(smart?)/(ipk?) packages if possible. I will be needing to create my own packages containing go binaries that I plan to cross-compile using gccgo.

Questions:
      1. Does such a yocto image exist, or do I need to build it using `bitbake`?  I am under the impression that you need to bitbake your own image if you want the smart package manager or to have deb/rpm support. Is this true?

2. What is the best yocto image to use for this purpose? Any recommendations? I'd rather not build my own image if possible.

3. When I burn the SD image ./iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-galileo-20160606.direct which I downloaded using the instructions below, the galileo won't boot (or at least, I don't see it getting a DHCP lease from my router like it has in the past with a different image).

Are these the correct instructions?

IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software

I got the download link for the .direct image mentioned above from IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Download | Intel® Software , specifically https://software.intel.com/galileo-image/latest

I am on ubuntu and using a 32gb SD card. I follow the instructions to create a single FAT partition on the SD card and then write the image to the partition (e.g. /dev/sdb1) using dd. Instead of manually creating the FAT partition and formatting said partition, I have also tried using the SDFormatter application for OSX, which didn't seem to affect my results.

This is what my SD looks like, for reference.

Disk /dev/sdb: 31.1 GB, 31104958464 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3781 cylinders, total 60751872 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

/dev/sdb1            8192    60751871    30371840    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Can anyone assist? Really appreciate the help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Need help with SD image instructions
          FGT

Hi mrpentagon,

mrpentagon wrote:

Hey guys,

Been having a difficult time getting my galileo gen 2 up and running.

I simply need a yocto image with a standard build toolset (gcc, ..) and the ability to install deb/rpm/(smart?)/(ipk?) packages if possible.

The yocto image provided by Intel includes de standard build toolset. I don't know about "...deb/rpm/..." ... if you are referring to Linux debian packages I think you won't be able to install them directly in yocto... it's a different (and non-compatible AFAIK) Linux distribution.

1. Does such a yocto image exist, or do I need to build it using `bitbake`? I am under the impression that you need to bitbake your own image if you want the smart package manager or to have deb/rpm support. Is this true?

I've not used the smart package, but I found a specific thread on that: install packages from smart repository

2. What is the best yocto image to use for this purpose? Any recommendations? I'd rather not build my own image if possible.

I've not made it... but I think it's worth trying with the official-Intel provided yocto image, so you don't have to build your own.

I think that you are having too much trouble with the yocto image (you are using the right one, I think) so as to open a specific thread on that. Once you have the yocto image in an "up&runnung" SD, then I suggest you move on the package issue/s.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Need help with SD image instructions
            xbolshe

Hi,

about:

I will be needing to create my own packages containing go binaries that I plan to cross-compile using gccgo.

I'm not sure that it is possible.

GO requires to have MMX support (as you may check in GO sources go/asm_386.s at master · golang/go · GitHub  ):

gobad.png

But Galileo's Quark CPU does not support MMX.

nommx.png

BR,

xbolshe

• 3. Re: Need help with SD image instructions
              AU_yzy0050

Hi, xbolshe

I just came cross your reply.

You mentioned that Go is not supported by Galileo as Go requires MMX.

I am wondering if this is truth or I can have other options for Galileo to support Go.

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Need help with SD image instructions
                xbolshe

Hi

GO386=387: use x87 for floating point operations; should support all x86 chips (Pentium MMX or later).

A string about MMX support you may find in a source code:

go/asm_386.s at master · golang/go · GitHub

• 5. Re: Need help with SD image instructions
                  AU_yzy0050

xbolshe, yes, you are right.

I cross compiled a simple program to test it. It did not work on this chip.

I appreciate your reply.