1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2016 6:05 AM by Intel Corporation

xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count

Tas3086A

XTU version 6.1.2.8 on i7-4790k:

In this version my active core count peaks at 2, using the previous XTU version it peaked at 4 for the same programs.

Any idea why this changed, and is it correct?  My performance criteria is based on active core count.

• 1. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
          parsec

Can you define for me what the Active Core Count parameter actually is? IMO, it is worthless, and is simply wrong with every version of IXTU I've used. Or at least the definition of this parameter is unknown to me. I simply do not display it in IXTU, as it is meaningless for my use of IXTU.

I'm running an IXTU Memory Stress test as I type this, on a Broadwell-E i7-6800K processor. That is a six core, 12 thread processor. A third party monitoring program shows all six cores operating at ~90% at minimum, and up to 100%. The Active Core Count reading was 3 during the stress test, the possible range, 1 - 6.

At idle, with Active Core Count reading of 1, I see the core and thread usage varying between 0 and single digit usage percentages, on more than one core. Since I have CPU power saving options enabled, in reality at idle the cores are in the C6 C State 80% - 90% of the time.

If IXTU is really only using one half of the cores of a processor during its stress testing, or allowing one or more cores to transition out of the C0 state, then I can understand why it is not highly respected by the over clocking community as a stress testing application.

I would love to know what Intel defines as an Active Core, in the Active Core Count parameter. I have never seen any other monitoring program, or stress testing program, that has an Active Core Count value displayed.

• 2. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
            Tas3086A

My concern is that my core multipliers are set based on cores that are active. The multipliers are "active count" based.  My presumption is that when set, the processor handles everything.  But if the xtu "active core count" measurement somehow interferes, then I may be in big trouble.

ps.  This is the first time that the XTU command line method of setting tuning parameters seems to be working as designed.  It is great being able to change chipset performance characterizes under (my) programmatic control.

ie:         "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\xtucli" -t -id 29         -v 45   

and       "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\xtucli" -i tuning

when the cores get hot, turn the speed down a notch. when cool, up them up a bit, # cores active... adjust accordingly,  .... etc.... lots of fun...  Are there any other apps that let you do this kind of stuff?

• 3. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello, Tas3086A:

I would like to gather some information in order to address this matter, so please download the Download Intel® System Support Utility, and attach it, with this report I will be able to confirm some of that information.

Regards,

Amy.

• 5. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                FrankeFrankesson

I have the same problem with my 5820K, used to peak at 6 cores now only 3.

ASUS X99-A Mobo with BIOS ver. 3101

• 6. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                  Intel Corporation

Tas3086A, I noticed that you have several posts in community in regard to your issue; has any of the answers helped you? If that it not the case, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience and I like request a screenshot of the peaks you mentioned in your first post.

Regards,
                  Amy.

• 7. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                    FrankeFrankesson

Still broken in 6.1.2.11. Active core count never goes above 3 on my 6 core system 5820k. Prime95 12 threads or BOINC 12 jobs running. should trigger 6 cores CPU is at 100%.

Running on Windows 10 64 bit ver. 1607.

• 8. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                      Tas3086A

I tried 6.1.2.11 and the Active Core Count is not correct.  Should be 4 but shows up as 2 in both monitors.

The good news is that the multiplier parameters for each active core setting seem to be working just fine, and the XTU_CLI command line is still working correctly too.   I sent in all the doc that they requested, but seems odd that they can not see the problem themselves.

• 9. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                        Intel Corporation

Tas3086A

Could you please let me know XTU version that showed the correct Active Core Count?

Regards,

Amy.

• 10. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                          Tas3086A

6.0.2.8 the active core count was correct, and the profiles worked, but the CLI options did not.

6.1.2.8 and 6.1.2.11 the active core counters appear to be half of what they should be, profiles can not be created or modified, but CLI options are working perfectly. I hope that this helps.

• 11. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                            Intel Corporation

Thank you for that information.

Let's try updating the following;

BIOS; ASRock > Z97 Extreme6 version 2.70.

Intel Management Engine driver;  ASRock > Z97 Extreme6 

For testing purposes, can you disable Hyper Threading in your BIOS configuration?

Regards,

Amy.

• 12. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                              Tas3086A

Hyper threading disabled.  Active Core Count now goes to 4 on my system.  Seems that this resolves the problem.

Does this mean that there is a problem is with the Asrock BIOS, or because the counter worked in previous versions of ITU, do you think the problem is on your side?

Good find, in either respect.  Should I run with hyper threading turned off?

• 13. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                                Intel Corporation

It could be both, but I want to confirm something first;have you used a different tool to check the Active Core Count? Try a third-party tool with Hyper Threading on.

You can have Hyper Threading off.

Regards,

Amy.

• 14. Re: xtu bug 6.1.2.8 active core count
                                  Tas3086A

With Hyper Threading enabled, windows task manager shows 4 cores, 8 logical processors, all 8 running at 86-96% utilization under stress.  Stress test completed in 14 minutes.

With Hyper Threading disabled, windows task manager shows 4 cores, 4 logical processors all 4 running at 96-98% utilization under stress.  Stress test completed in 16.5 minutes.

I believe that my I7-4790K should have and use 8 logical processors within its 4 cores.

Is there another free utility that you would consider accurate for displaying the active core count? Intel's definition of simultaneously active cores may be different than other vendors !

I appreciate your quick reply's to my concerns, Thanks.

1 2 3 Previous Next