3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 4:35 PM by Intel Corporation

An odd question

PaulMP

Hi,

I know this is quite a silly question,

but I want to remove the back cover of old Pentium Pro 200Mhz 1Mb cache version CPU to make it look like this:

L0403xxddddgd.jpg

It looks beautiful. I would design and make a plexi cover to protect the die(s) and wiring.

Is it possible to remove the back cover of a non "Engineering Sample" variant without damaging it?

562351_pentiumpro1m3_jpg.jpg

Intel_Pentium_Pro_200_(1M)_B.jpg

I would greatly appreciate any help or guidance!

Thank you,

Paul

• 1. Re: An odd question
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello PaulMP:

In reference to your inquiry, regardless of the model of the processor, Intel® does not recommend to remove the back cover of the processor, because besides that it will avoid the warranty on it, it can damage the processor, since it was design to work with that specific cover.

You have the option to try that, but in that case it will be at your own risk, Intel® cannot guarantee the proper functionality of the processor if you do that.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: An odd question
            PaulMP

Dear Alberto,

My cpu is twenty years old and it's already broken.
            I just want to know if there is a way to remove the back cover of that specific CPU, to use it as an ornament.
            It would be nice to not damage the wiring and/or the dies in the process.

Thank you,

Paul

• 3. Re: An odd question
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello PaulMP:

I see, in that case, yes, you can always try that and use it as an ornament.

In regard to the part of an specific way to do it, since Intel® does not recommend to do that, there is no documentation or manuals of how to remove it without damaging the wiring and/or the dies in the processor.

Let me apologize about that.

As an option you can always look for some suggestions on the Internet, you might be able to find some useful documents.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto