7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 2:42 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYK Configuration Manager OSD Issue

W4050

I've recently purchased a number of NUC6i5SYK machines, which have been configured with Samsung SM951 NVME SSDs and 2x 4GB 2133 RAM.

I'm having issues using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch, 1602) to image these devices. The OSD fails at the point where it attempts to make the partition that it will be installing to as active, and therefore cannot continue.

I've tried adding the chipset drivers (downloadable from Download Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® NUC ) to the boot image used, but this hasn't helped at all. I've also tried using a SATA M.2 drive in one of them, which did work successfully, so it's something to do with the NVME drive. Installing Windows from a USB memory stick to a machine using the NVME drive also appears to work quite happily, so I don't think that the SSDs are faulty.

I already use a number of NUC5i5RYH machines, which are configured using the same drives (working in NVME mode) and they can be reimaged from Configuration Manager without issues.

Any ideas how I might solve this issue?

Andy

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYK Configuration Manager OSD Issue
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi W4050,

Could you please let me know which OS are you using?
          What kind of error are you getting?
          Have you tried doing this image, with other third party software?

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYK Configuration Manager OSD Issue
            W4050

Hi Hellen,

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise x64 build 1511.

We have managed to work around the issue at the moment by generating bootable media from SCCM, however I'd prefer to be able to perform the re-imaging by network booting rather than having to plug a USB memory stick into the machine (these are used for display screens and so tend to be in difficult-to-access spaces).

I have tried forcing the machines to PXE boot in UEFI mode by disabling legacy network boot, and in this instance the machine boots off the network, briefly shows a message along the lines of 'Succeed to download NBP file.', then the machine returns me to the boot options menu. Trying again results in the same thing. Obviously the SCCM PE environment doesn't even start to boot, so I have no logs to look at.

We have other machines in the organisation that have successfully performed a UEFI PXE boot (and end up with a working OS using a UEFI partitioning scheme on the disk) from SCCM, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why these NUCs won't UEFI PXE boot successfully.

Any suggestions welcome!

Many thanks

Andy

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYK Configuration Manager OSD Issue
              Intel Corporation

Hi W4050,

Would you mind send me the PXE server configuration steps, every detail that could help me to replicate this, to see if there is something I could do for you.

Regards,
              Hellen.

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYK Configuration Manager OSD Issue
                W4050

Hi Hellen,

Essentially I've followed the instructions at Boot Images and Distribution Point Configuration For OSD In SCCM 2012 R2 to get PXE boot support up and running on SCCM 2012 R2.

Using this setup, we've successfully imaged both BIOS boot and UEFI boot machines by PXE booting them (e.g. I imaged a Lenovo Yoga 260 yesterday which has UEFI PXE booted and imaged successfully, as well as a number of Lenovo M900 SFF machines, Microsoft Surface Pro 3s, 4s and Surface Books etc, all of which UEFI PXE booted successfully, and a number of legacy machines which BIOS boot mode PXE boot and image successfully, e.g. Lenovo M93p desktops and M92p desktops).

When I attempt to image the NUCs, by default it boots in BIOS mode and tries to image the machine, but of course doesn't have support for booting from the NVMe SSDs in that mode. Forcing the machines to boot into UEFI mode by unticking the legacy boot checkbox in the BIOS and then trying to PXE boot them gives me the message mentioned above, then returns me to the boot menu.

As the current setup does appear to work for UEFI PXE booted machines, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why the NUCs won't image in the same way!

Let me know if you need screen shots of the current SCCM configuration etc.

Andy

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYK Configuration Manager OSD Issue
                  W4050

I should also add that I'm still using the '10240' build boot images as the '10586' build boot images had issues, so I've not updated to those yet.

Andy

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYK Configuration Manager OSD Issue
                    Intel Corporation

Hi W4050,

Thanks for this information, I’m going to try to replicate this, I will follow the steps mentioned above, if there is something else any specific detail please let me know.

I let you know the outcome.

Regards,
                    Hellen.

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYK Configuration Manager OSD Issue
                      Intel Corporation

Hi W4050,

I apologize for the time it takes; I would like to know if you are still having issues with the PXE and de Intel® NUC6i5SYK.

Regards,
                      Hellen.