10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 9:43 AM by Intel Corporation

Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI

Cosmicphotoguy

The USB 3.0 port on the front panel of my NUC DN2820FYKH only connects to the USB 2.0 EHCI root hub and not to the USB 3.0 xHCI root hub as expected. Running Windows 10 and all drivers are installed and current.  Enabling or disabling Legacy USB in the BIOS makes not difference.  The BIOS is the latest available from Intel.

Please help, I need a USB 3.0 port.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Cosmicphotoguy,

To better understanding, when you installed the OS did you install it on UEFI or legacy?
          Also, could you explain to me what kind of device are you connecting to that port? Is it a USB2.0 hub, or USB 3.0 hub? Have you already load defaults settings on the BIOS?

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
            Cosmicphotoguy

Hi Hellen,

I don't know how the OS was installed.  I received the NUC with Windows 8.1 PRO pre-installed, and then upgraded to Windows 10.

I am trying to connect a USB 3.0 astronomy camera directly to the port.  No hub involved.

I have installed the 0053 BIOS, and enabled the USB ports in the BIOS settings.  Enabling or disabling Legacy USB makes no difference.  There are no other USB settings I can find in the BIOS.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
              Intel Corporation

Hi Cosmicphotoguy,

Let’s try doing this,
              First I recommend you to Load default settings on the BIOS, and then I suggest you to install all Windows® 10 updates, and install the latest Chipset driver to your Intel® NUC
              Intel® Chipset Device Software for Windows 7*/8*/8.1/10* for Intel® NUC
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25094/Chipset-Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-10-for-Intel-NUC?product=78953

Regards,
              Hellen.

• 4. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
                Cosmicphotoguy

I made all the updates but ran into an issue when I reset the BIOS defaults.  Couldn't boot anymore, as the NUC couldn't seem to find the boot drive.  Anyway, I ran a Windows 10 "Reset" install, and now have my NUC back in operation.  As a result of the Reset install, I no longer have an EHCI controller in my device list, and all USB connections are through the xHCI controller/root hub.  Is that the way it should be?  My goal has been to isolate my video speed astronomy camera on the USB 3.0 root hub/xHCI controller, and run everything else USB on the USB 2.0 root hub/EHCI controller to avoid conflicts that cause dropped camera frames.  Unfortunately now EHCI has gone away and everything needs to run through the single xHCI root hub/controller.  Can I accomplish my goal here?

• 5. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Cosmicphotoguy,

Yes it is, because you load default settings on the BIOS, it activates xHCI; according to what I understand if you are trying to split the USB controller, using EHCI and Xchi at the same time, it is only possible to run one controller at the time.

Regards,
                  Hellen.

• 6. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Cosmicphotoguy,

I would like to know if the information provided helps you.

Regards,
                    Hellen.

• 7. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
                      venik212

Hellen,

What does enabling/disabling xHCl do?  It was suggested to me to disable xHCl on my NUC5i5RYK, but with no explanation of what it does.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
                        N.Scott.Pearson

My understanding is that disabling xHCI essentially turns all of your USB 3.0 ports into (much slower) USB 2.0 ports. Who told you to do this and what was the context for this being suggested?

• 9. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
                          venik212

I was perusing this forum because my NUC5i5RYK, which (after very serious childhood illness due to a bug in the BIOS, which was eventually fixed by Intel and then worked perfectly) started taking a LONG time to boot, and I was trying to discover why.  I have one wireless receiver plugged into one of the USB ports, to allow me to use a wireless keyboard.  The other USB ports are currently not being used. 

The sluggish boot is still with me, but disabling the xHCl did seem to shorten it slightly.

(Linux/Mint 18 with Cinnamon 3, 16 gb of RAM, 250 gb Samsung SSD.  Bios 359.)

• 10. Re: Cannot make USB 3.0 port connect to xHCI instead of EHCI
                            Intel Corporation

Hi,

xHCI mode can be set to Smart Auto, Auto, Enabled and Disabled.
                            Disabled turns off USB 3.0 entirely and makes all the ports USB 2.0.

XHCI Mode = Disabled
                            The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port

XHCI Mode = Enabled
                            The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 3.0 port

XHCI Mode = Auto
                            The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
                            If you reboot the OS, the on-board USB 3.0 port again function like a 2.0 port during this reboot BIOS phase before OS USB 3.0 driver load.

XHCI Mode = Smart Auto
                            The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
                            If you reboot the OS, during this reboot BIOS phase, BIOS is "Smart" enough to avoid downgrade the USB 3.0 port back to 2.0 functionality before OS USB 3.0 driver load. So Smart Auto is faster than Auto on 2nd boot onward, but Enabled is fastest once you are sure the OS has the USB 3.0 driver installed, because it avoid the switching.
                            Making the on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port is mainly to support OS installation or to support OS that does not have build-in USB 3.0 driver, so that the USB keyboard would still work if the user plug-in a USB keyboard or any other USB devices into the USB 3.0 ports before the OS is installed with the USB 3.0 driver come with the motherboard.

It is strange that disabling xHCI makes your system boot faster; do you see this problem with Windows? I’m asking because I can see that you are using Linux Mint or I’m wrong?

Regards,

Ivan.