4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2016 7:16 PM by Intel Corporation

5.1 and 7.1 audio won't work Intel NUC5i3RYH

zeus268

I need some help folks. I've been scanning the forums and searching for an answer but can't find anything.

I just picked up an Intel NUC5i3RYH. I have hooked it up to my 7.1 Channel Receiver (Sony STR-DN1010) to use as an HTPC. It is hooked up with an HDMI cable using a Display port adaptor to the NUC. I'm not receiving any digital sound in 5.1 or 7.1 audio, only 2 channel. I've tried many things including using the mini-HDMI to HDMI cable that came with the NUC, have tried switching HDMI cables, tried switching HDMI ports on my receiver and nothing seems to work.

Before getting the NUC, I've had my Surface Book hooked up to my receiver with the same HDMI cable using the Display Port Adaptor with no issue. 7.1 audio works well with no troubles.

I really need some new suggestions.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel HD Graphics driver and Realtek drivers on this NUC with no success

• 1. Re: 5.1 and 7.1 audio won't work Intel NUC5i3RYH
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello zeus268,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Just to make sure, did you try the latest Beta driver released, you can download it here:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26099/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210

Make sure you are using straight connection, example mini HDMI from the unit to the receiver.

Select HDMI audio as your default playback device from the Windows* Sound control panel:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound.
          2. Click Sound. The Playback tab lists the audio playback devices for your computer.
          3. Right-click on the device for HDMI audio, and select Set as Default Device.
          4. Right-click and select Test. If you hear a test tone, click OK.

Reseat the cable on both ends.

Regards,

Ivan
          • 2. Re: 5.1 and 7.1 audio won't work Intel NUC5i3RYH
            zeus268

Thanks for the advice Ivan but this did not work. I still only have 2 channel audio from my PC to my receiver. I've tried with mini hdmi to hdmi and hdmi via a Display Port adapter to the NUC.

I've tried messing with the setting of Realtek audio AND Intel HD audio settings. All drivers, bios and updates have been performed.

I'm going crazy over this. When I plug in my Surface Book with the same HDMI cord using the same Display Port adapter to my Receiver I get full Surround sound with no issues. I'm running Windows 10 on the Surface Book just like this NUC.

So I'm thinking that if the Receiver works, the Surface Book works and the cords that I'm using works, the issue must be with this damn NUC.

I bought this to use as an HTPC. It's altogether useless now without full surround sound....

Can anyone help?

Untitled.jpg

• 3. Re: 5.1 and 7.1 audio won't work Intel NUC5i3RYH
              Intel Corporation

Please make sure your operating system is fully updated.

The first, and easiest, thing to try is to let the units reset and try handshaking again by turning them off, unplugging them from the power, and powering them up again in order.  Leave all the HDMI cables connected during his process.

Plug the TV back into the power and turn it on.
              Plug the surround-sound receiver back into the power and turn it on.
              Plug the source device back into the power and let it go through its startup routine.

If that does not work try uninstalling the graphics driver and to reinstall it, please see Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver

You can download the driver here:
              Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Is your HDMI high quality cable?

To verify you have one of these, look along the cabling itself for the printed text which says “High Speed HDMI Cable.” If it is not there, you may not be using a cable that is required to work with your device.

Best regards,

Ivan

• 4. Re: 5.1 and 7.1 audio won't work Intel NUC5i3RYH
                Intel Corporation

Hello zeus268:

I just wanted to check if the previous information submitted on this thread was helpful for you and if you need any further assistance?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto