7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 11:50 AM by Intel Corporation

06.2016 and the "nuc is a brick" problem is still "available?

biene.maja

Hello,

I have a nuc NUC5i7RYH since end of 2015. It was built up with recommend parts (2TB SSD, 256GB M.2, 16GB RAM) only. I'm using Linux only - currently my NUC starts with Linux Mint 17.3. Well it was not a problem for me to start the NUC via "wake on USB", but as soon as I need to hard reset the NUC (long power button press does not work, so i unplug the power supply) the nuc becomes a brick. The onliest working trick is to open this tiny thing to doing the CMOS hack (remove CMOS battery for 5-10 min).

Well to save the time and to do not things, that you should not do with a computer (dismantle it too many times) I have an idea and hope for help by Intel.

@Intel:

#1 it could become a good year 2016 for me, if you send me a CMOS-patch-cable with a button on it, that I can push to "unplug" the CMOS! Really, this is a serious wish/desire! You can ask me for my post address to ship it.

#2: its is timewasting what you do with customer, because of not fixing this issue for years!

Thx

• 1. Re: 06.2016 and the "nuc is a brick" problem is still "available?
          N.Scott.Pearson

Are you running on the latest BIOS?

If you hold the power button for longer than 4 seconds, it will power off the unit. This is a hardware feature of the PCH (chipset) component and cannot be overridden by software or firmware. If it doesn't work, then the button is physically broken. If this is the case, I suggest that you contact (call directly) Intel Customer Support and make arrangements for a warranty replacement (you have a 3 year warranty)...

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 06.2016 and the "nuc is a brick" problem is still "available?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Sven:

N. Scott Pearson, thank you very much for your comments above.

And yes, as N. Scott Pearson mentioned, the NUC should go off when pressing and holding the power key longer than 4 seconds.

So, it seems to be a problem with the NUC itself.

Since you do have 3 years of warranty on it, we can always replace it for you.

In regard to the CMOS-patch-cable request, that part is not available, otherwise we would be more than glad to send it to you.

If you are interested in the replacement, in order to do that, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, online support or phone support, here is the link to do that, you just need to select the type of product you are interested in replacing and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 06.2016 and the "nuc is a brick" problem is still "available?
              biene.maja

Hello N. Scott Pearson and Alberta,

thank you for your reply. It seems to be, that I didn't wait enough, but I won't try it now, because the nuc is currently working as espected ;-) I will update this feed, as soon as I ran in this "issue" again. I changed my linux setting to "never suspend", because the shutdown works. It's only the suspend mode, that "bricks the nuc" - I love this wording, but not the problem behind it :-P

@All in this forum:

The nuc is the best computer I bought for a very, very long time! Really and I'm not paid for this message. Low consuming and much power. It is silent and a really good working (not gaming) machine. I use this for all my development stuff (JEE&Spring, PHP and lots of linux scripting). So don't misunderstand my first post: the problem nerves (as soon as you run more than once into it), but the workaround works!

Sven

• 4. Re: 06.2016 and the "nuc is a brick" problem is still "available?
                Intel Corporation

Hello Sven:

We are glad to hear that finally the NUC is working again and that you were able to find the solution using the "never suspend" Linux® setting.

Thank you very much for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

If by any chance you need our assistance regarding any other problem, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Alberto

• 5. Re: 06.2016 and the "nuc is a brick" problem is still "available?
                  biene.maja

Hello,

well today I ran in the problem again. A really longpress of powerbutton does not stops the nuc. There was a hanging "umount", which finally breaks the shutdown process - linux mint couldn't stop its last deamons and the cpu-usage was 100%. Well this is not an issue to the nuc, but it bricked the nuc. I had to unplug the power to get this tiny thing quiet ;-)

@All, who has this problem - the nuc can/must be opened from bottom:

1) loosen the 4 black screws and open the metall carefully

2) loosen the silver-colored screw at the M.2 (if installed) and remove the M.2

3) no lift the 2 black screws (one is under the M.2 and the other on the other side of the board)

4) remove the board carefully (attention, there are two cables between board and the aluminium cover)

5) remove the cable of the CMOS-battery

6) wait for some minutes (I always wait more than 5 minutes)

7) plug the nuc together

The next thing, I'll do, is to build my own switch to disconnect the CMOS from board, WITHOUT unplugging the nuc again ;-)

PS to N.Scott.Pearson: The button seems to be okay, because the nuc started after doing the listed steps, by pressing this power button. The nuc does it ones and after the first shutdown I have to use "wake on usb", to get it running.

• 6. Re: 06.2016 and the "nuc is a brick" problem is still "available?
                    N.Scott.Pearson

I say again, if you press down the power button and hold it for a full 4 seconds, the NUC will completely power off. It is a hardware feature, not software, and cannot be masked or disabled. If you hold down the power button for a full 4 seconds and the system does not power off, there is a hardware problem (likely with the power button itself)...

...S

• 7. Re: 06.2016 and the "nuc is a brick" problem is still "available?
                      Intel Corporation

Hello biene.maja:

It is great to hear that you were able to do those other troubleshoot steps in order to make the NUC work properly.

As it was mentioned by N. Scott Pearson, if the NUC does not go off after you press and hold the power key for more than 4 seconds, most of the times that will indicate it is a hardware problem and needs to be replaced.

So, the NUC has 3 years of warranty, and in case you are interested in replacing it, we can always do that for you, just use the link provided above to get in contact with us directly.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto