4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 6:22 PM by Intel Corporation

Busybox upgrade fails

CurtisR

Hi, I am trying to install a new version of busybox that has certain applets needed for my software. I am following the tutorial here busybox: configure full version · IntelOpenDesign/MakerNode Wiki · GitHub . I have used this method in the past with one of the first edison yocto images but with the latest version I get very odd errors. I go through the whole install without any errors and when I run the busybox command I can see the new version and applets installed. My issue happens whenever I restart my edison. Upon reboot I get this output to the console.

root@edison:~/busybox/_install/sbin# reboot

root@edison:~/busybox/_install/sbin# [ 2889.819403] intel_scu_watchdog_evo: watchdog_stop

[ 2889.824287] intel_scu_watchdog_evo: Closed, without starting timer

[ 2889.841046] intel_scu_watchdog_evo: watchdog device is busy

[ 2890.148541] intel_scu_watchdog_evo: watchdog device is busy

[ 2890.154317] intel_scu_watchdog_evo: watchdog device is busy

The edison just keeps spitting out the watchdog is busy to console. The edison never reboots and upon a power cycle I get this error.

Starting kernel ...

[    0.735279] pca953x 1-0020: failed reading register

[    0.740403] pca953x 1-0021: failed reading register

[    0.745511] pca953x 1-0022: failed reading register

[    0.750556] pca953x 1-0023: failed reading register

[    1.607591] snd_soc_sst_platform: Enter:sst_soc_probe

[    2.092736] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: Error reading battery profile from battid frmwrk

[    2.100982] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: Battery Over heat exception

can't run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory

Please press Enter to activate this console.

Any ideas as to what the issue is here? Why would installing busybox on the new image give me trouble.

Thanks,

Curtis

• 1. Re: Busybox upgrade fails
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Curtis,

Which Image version do you have on your board? I would like to replicate your environment, please run the uname -a command and let me know the output.
          I saw the guide you are following and it seems that it was tested on Galileo but not on Edison. Which changes did you do on the menuconfig while installing the package?

The latest release has already busybox installed, but it has the 1.22 version, is there a specific reason you need the 1.23 version?

Regards,
          Charlie

• 2. Re: Busybox upgrade fails
            CurtisR

Hi Charlie,

I'm on kernel 3.10.98.

root@localhost:~# uname -a

Linux localhost 3.10.98-poky-edison+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 6 14:32:08 PDT 2016 i686 GNU/Linux

Yes, the guide was created for the Galileo, but it has worked for me on a previous image. I did not make any changes in menuconfig, I just wanted the default configuration of busybox.

I did not need to upgrade versions, I just needed a specific applet installed. The version of busybox that is standard on the image only has about half the applets as the default busybox configuration. The specific applet I needed was setsid which was not included on the Edison image.

On a side note, I noticed the setsid binary in "/usr/bin" so I went ahead and downloaded the busybox binary and placed it into "/bin". It allows busybox and all my programs to see the setsid applet. This works as a quick fix, but I may need other busybox applications.

Thanks for your help,

Curtis

• 3. Re: Busybox upgrade fails
              Intel Corporation

Hi Curtis,

I am using the same release version you have and I’m able to use setsid withouth doing any changes.
              If you would like to use the full applications for bussybox you will need to build busybox from scratch https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/, there have been some changes in the latest image versions that may be affecting the installation you were used to run. 

Regards,
              Charlie 

• 4. Re: Busybox upgrade fails
                Intel Corporation

Hi Curtis,

I would like to know if you have tried to install again busybox from scratch and if you have tried to change some of the features in the menuconfig or image.

Regards,
                Charlie