11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 5:38 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.

Mparis666

I have a NUC6i5SYK and a Working 128GB SDXC card inserted. It works fine. I purchased a Kingston 256GB SDXC U3 UHC-I which workes perfectly in a USB adapter, and in several other machines SDXC card slots. My intent was to expand data capacity as a D: drive. This causes many issues, and ultimately will not mount, even if visible as a drive. I have confirmed this to be hardware/driver issue by testing the card on other platforms and even loaded a Linux Mint version that showed the drive, but did not allow the folder to be opened (same symptoms as under Windows 10).

I would hate to think I wasted money on this SD card, purchased specifically for this funtion on my NUC.

Please Advise.

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Mark:

I understand the reason why you purchased the 256GB SDXC U3 UHC-I memory card, and actually that is a pretty good idea, is just the NUC was not design to do that, the SDXC card works as an external additional memory, and it is intended for storage purposes only, it will not work to expand the capacity of the D: drive.

As an option, in order not to waste your money, you can always verify with the place of purchase to check if they maybe can do a refund for the SDXC card or if maybe they can replace it for a different component that you might need.

I hope they can assist you in doing that.

Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
            hegenious

alberto, you must have misread.

He does not want to expand a disk drive. he just wants to expand the NUC's storage capacity with 256GB by inserting a card he bought and mounting it as a (D: or whatever letter) drive. That is, he wants to use the card where it was intended for.

However, the NUC does not allow him this perfectly normal operation. The folder doesn't open for writing.

Mparis666, did you try and get rid of the U3 stuff that comes with the card? I suspect that to be in the way and personally, I always kick it and do a fresh format. See if that works?

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
              Mparis666

Hegenious,

You are correct, Alberto misunderstood. As to your idea, I U3 is the speed rating of the card, there is no software, as the U3 you are referring to is for older USB drives. Sorry for the confusion.

I have formatted the partition several times as NTFS, and exFAT. I have even split the partition in half, leaving each partition less than 128GB, all to no avail.

As mentioned,  the card works correctly on two other Windows 10 Professional machines with built-in  SDXC slots. It has to be a driver related issue...

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
                Intel Corporation

Hello Mark:

Let me apologize if I misunderstood your inquiry.

Just to make sure, you said that the card works correctly on 2 other devices with Windows 10 Pro, are those devices Intel® NUCs?

Because according to our information, when you connect the SDXC directly to the Intel® NUC6i5SYK NUC, the NUC has hardware limitation and it will only supports SDXC cards with sizes of: 32GB, 64GB and 128GB, that is the way it was design.

It might be a driver related issue, but there is no driver directly from Intel® that enables the support for 256GB SDCX cards.

Alberto

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
                  Mparis666

Alberto,

I was unable to find a specification specifically limiting the SDXC slot to 128GB maximum. Neither of the other two machines tested were Intel NUCs. I have only the one. The SDXC specification allows for cards exceeding 128GB, and because I couldn't find that limit specified anywhere, I assumed is correctly supported the specification, including 256GB & 512GB. The next question is; will/can the hardware support larger SDXC cards than 128GB? If so, it is a software/driver issue and may be corrected in the future. Otherwise, it is a hardware limitation and will not be changed. My main reason for thinking it is a driver issue is the fact that the 256GB card is visible in BIOS/UEFI, si I suspect it is just a coding issue for the driver and may be corrected relatively soon, as the larger (256GB & 512GB) cards become more common and widely used...

I guess that was the main question I was asking initially, is this something that is even listed as a known issue, and is it being worked on?

Thanks,

Mark Paris

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Mark:

In regard to your inquiry, the size limitation of the SDXC card is not listed as a known issue, that is why there is no official site or document from Intel®, but based on previous cases we had it is considered a hardware limitation.

In this case, we will do more research in order to try to find a document released by Intel® where you can confirm that.

Also, there are some reports stating that the size limitation for the SDXC card could be related Windows ® 10, but again, we will try to find the proper documentation where you can see that statement.

As soon I as get the official information I will post it on this thread so you can verify it.

Alberto

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
                      Mparis666

Alberto,

As previously mentioned, I have confirmed that the card works correctly on two different machines both running Windows 10 Pro X64... Both load a Microsoft SD card driver in device manager and that the device is both readable and writable on both of these systems. Should I open a format support case for this issue?

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
                        rguevara

Hi Mark,

I am really sorry to hear that you are having issues with one of our products.

We have tested some SD cards from different vendors and here is the list of what we know works okay: Tested Peripherals for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY

I have reported up to engineering that the SD card Kingston 256GB SDXC U3 UHC-I that you have is not working on NUC6i5SYK. I cannot promise anything else at this point as there could be incompatible peripherals but I will get back to you if I get any additional information.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
                          Mparis666

Ronny G,

Thank you for your reply! Considering the fact that UEFI can see it, I suspect it is a driver issue. SDXC is a standard, as such, it should work all the way up to the maximum spec limit of 1TB, though there are no practical examples available as yet. I hope this issue can be resolved, as I was using a USB adapter as a workaround in the short term. I appreciate any information or updates you provide on this issue, as 256Gb & even 512Gb are widely available and becoming practical in cost.

Mark Paris

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
                            Intel Corporation

Hello Mparis666:

Thank you very much for that information.

Just to let you know we also are still investigation and doing further research on this type of situation.

If we get a possible solution to fix this, I will post it on this thread as soon as possible.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYK SDXC Issues.
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Mparis666:

I just wanted to let you know we are still doing some research in order to find out a possible fixed for this issue.

As soon as I get any information about this, I will post it on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto