8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 10:23 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i5RYH encountering WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

hBar

I purchased a NUC5i5RYH and set it up over this past weekend.  The first day everything went smoothly, and I really loved my little NUC.  I installed two DDR3L ram modules (Crucial CT2K8G3S160BM, the currently available variant of an Intel approved module) and a Samsung 850 Pro SSD.  I followed the provided instructions when installing these components and additionally took appropriate precautions when installing this hardware to avoid potential damage due to ESD (grounding myself to the chassis and such).   I connected a monitor via a mDP to DVI adapter, and plugged in my new NUC with its included FSP power supply.  Finally, I installed Windows 8 Pro on the computer.  So far, so good; the computer was meeting or exceeding all of my expectations.

The next day I looked at the Intel download center to see what drivers and such needed to be installed.  I updated the BIOS to Version 0358, since I might later install Linux and would want my system to wake from sleep.  I then installed the Intel wireless driver for Windows 8 64-bit (v. 17.16.0) and Norton Security and Backup.  A few minutes later I encountered my first blue screen caused by "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR".  I would encounter this at least 5 more times in the next two days.  I have preserved Windows kernel memory dumps for some of these events, and of course small memory dumps are retained for all blue screen events.  I haven't yet, however, tried doing any debugging with these files.  I feel that I should mention that I purchased the less capable Broadwell-based NUC to avoid these issues (Skylake and Broadwell-based models were virtually the same price).

I have a NUC that frequently crashes, and seems likely to fail completely sooner rather than later.

What should I do now?

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYH encountering WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, hBar:

I would like to gather some information in order to address this matter, so please download the Download Intel® System Support Utility, and attach it, with this report I will be able to confirm some of that information.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYH encountering WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
            hBar

The requested file is now attached to my original post.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYH encountering WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for the report.

hBar, at this stage my recommendation is to contact our phone support in order to check the replacement options for your NUC.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYH encountering WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
                Intel Corporation

hBar:

I just wanted to check if you were able to get your unit replaced, also to check if the new one is working fine.

Hope I can hear from you.

Regards,
                Esteban C

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYH encountering WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
                  hBar

Hi Esteban,

I just wanted to let you know that I decided not to use Intel's Warranty Center to replace my NUC, as I was well within Amazon's return period and I have some serious concerns about Intel's replacement process (enumerated below).  If Intel wants the unit for failure analysis, I do have information which may be helpful, such as Windows kernel memory dump files, and I can also provide you with the unit's serial number so that you can hopefully retrieve it from Amazon. 

I decided to go through Amazon for the following reasons:

1. Intel doesn't seem to replace the power supply (which it calls a power adapter) with the rest of the kit.  A defective power supply could produce a hardware fault leading to a "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" and the link between said problems might not be obvious.  Since I lack the equipment necessary to properly test even the mean voltage, much less the magnitude of the ripple and noise, of the FSP power supply under load I don't feel comfortable continuing to use said power supply.
                  2. Since Intel instructs me to keep the power supply, mounting bracket, and such, I assume that Intel will send a refurbished unit to replace the defective one.  I understand that this is a standard practice for you industry, and in principal I am fine with this so long as there is adequate quality control in place.  Unfortunately this is often not the case, and I have had bad experiences with such processes in the past.  In one instance, I went through five replacements from a reputable company before getting one that worked properly.  I have found that the subcontractors often used to refurbish equipment don't always have acceptable quality control, and since I can get a new unit I want one.
                  3. I have read that if I get the unit replaced by Intel, I would have to cover shipping charges.  That simply isn't acceptable for a unit which failed after less than a full day of use, especially since Amazon's policies don't require me to pay anything for return shipping.

Once again, please let me know if Intel's engineers and/or developers would like said memory dumps, as I am certainly willing to provide them.

• 6. Re: NUC5i5RYH encountering WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
                    Intel Corporation

Hello, hBar:

I would like to thank you for the willingness to assist us to get this fixed, I am aware that a BIOS release for our NUCs has fixed this matter, so please make sure you get that BIOS updated as soon as the unit is received to make sure it is going to work fine (if going to receive another from your vendor).

About the feedback for our warranty process, we are certainly grateful for your comments and they will be reviewed by the team in charge, as soon as I answer this thread, I will be sending it to the mentioned team. All feedback from Intel's customers is important to keep improving the support provided.

As of now, I believe we can give a closure to this case, would it be ok if I set one of the comments in here as "Correct answer"? If any additional inquiries about this are present, you can "re-open" the post.

Regards,

Amy.

• 7. Re: NUC5i5RYH encountering WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
                      Lokutos

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hello, hBar:

I would like to thank you for the willingness to assist us to get this fixed, I am aware that a BIOS release for our NUCs has fixed this matter, so please make sure you get that BIOS updated as soon as the unit is received to make sure it is going to work fine (if going to receive another from your vendor).

Since I also have a NUC5, could you please elaborate the BIOS version needed to fix this issue? I am not aware of any known problems with the NUC5i3/5 units or any BIOS updated needed. The original post was not about the NUC6. Also the original post mentioned having upgraded to the latest BIOS available (0358).

• 8. Re: NUC5i5RYH encountering WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
                        Intel Corporation

Hello, All:

Please disregard my previous sentence since I was referring to the Products (Formerly Swift Canyon) family, the information posted before does not apply to Products (Formerly Rock Canyon) and the other NUC5 families. If you have a unit facing this error, please contact us in order to check the replacement options for the unit in conflict. See here for the contact information Contact Support. 

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Amy.