14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 1:52 PM by Electrumpet

Edison not readable by computer

GRice

Whenever I plug in my Edison, I get a warning saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." It also does not appear in Finder.

This error started to occur shortly after I updated the firmware to the most recent version using the Configuration Tool, which I downloaded from Intel's website. I can run the Edison Configuration Tool and see the Edison when it is plugged in, but I am unable to use SSH or the screen command in the terminal.

I have the image of the last firmware that worked properly, backed up on my computer. Is there any way to manually load the old firmware onto the device? Otherwise, might anybody know the source of my problem and how to solve it?

• 1. Re: Edison not readable by computer
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Grice,

Which OS version are you using? I would like to test it myself to see if I get the same issue.
          If you want to test with the previous image, here’s the link to download it: http://iotdk.intel.com/src/3.0/edison/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315.zip. Use the flashall.sh method to upload the image to your board, here are the instructions https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154 (instead of downloading the latest image use the one I just provided). This way we’ll determine if the issue is software or hardware related.

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: Edison not readable by computer
            GRice

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I'm running OS X El Capitan 10.11.5. I successfully installed the old image to the board, but the Edison is still not readable by my computer.  Do you have any other ideas as to why the Edison won't appear?

• 3. Re: Edison not readable by computer
              Intel Corporation

Hi GRice,

Are you still getting the same message when connecting the board, “The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer”? I ran the Configuration Tool on my Mac computer and didn’t had any issue, so I’m wondering if maybe you’re having some conflict with the drivers. I would suggest you to remove all Edison-related drivers from your system and then try to run the Setup Tool again. Now, make sure to use the external power supply of your Edison board and if you’re working with a Laptop connect your AC adapter.  

Regards,
              -Pablo

• 4. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                Intel Corporation

Hi GRice,

Do you have updates on this case?

Regards,
                -Pablo

• 5. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                  Electrumpet

Hi,

I have the same problem although I can ssh to my edison and do whatever I like basically but each time I reboot I get the message: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.". Also the Edison does not show up as a drive in the Finder (MacOsX 10.9.5 (Mavericks)). If I click initialise in the menu that appears I am guided to 'disk utility' where the Edison shows up as a disk but is not accessible:

rebootMessage.tiffedisonAsDisk.tiff

The suggestion is to repair the disk but I don't know if that is wise and what kind of format and raid type to use...

Best, Hans.

• 6. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Hans,

Did you already try to flash the Edison board? Your board is getting recognized by the OS because you're getting the “disk not readable message”, so I believe it is possible to flash the Edison.

Check these instructions https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154. Let us know if this solves the issue. Personally, I wouldn't recommend to repair the disk.

Regards,

Pablo

• 7. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                      Electrumpet

Hi thanks, but that was not the solution although I got some more information it seems. This warning shows up a few times when I run ./flashall.sh  :

dfu-util: Device has DFU interface, but has no DFU functional descriptor

This seems to have been a problem on OSX 10.9.5 almost two years ago. I see a solution involving changing the flashall script but that seems to alter a different flashall script then the current one: Discuss Tutorial: Loading Debian (Ubilinux) on the Edison - learn.sparkfun.com

Is there a more easy workaround nowadays?

Best, Hans.

• 8. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Hans,

At this moment, I don´t have a different workaround. And the thing with the link you shared is that it is applicable to the Ubilinux (Debian-based) image, which is different to the image found on the Intel site. As far as I know, this workaround hasn´t been tested with the Yocto image, so it might not work.

Regards,
                        -Pablo

• 9. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                          Electrumpet

Hi Pablo,

Away busy with other things for a week... If I would flash the Edison from a Linux or Windows computer would/should it then show up as a drive in de OSX finder?

Best, Hans.

• 10. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                            Intel Corporation

Hi Hans,

If the board is not damaged, flashing it on a Windows/Linux computer should make it usable in other system. Have you tried this yet? Did you get different results?

Regards,
                            -Pablo

• 11. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                              Electrumpet

Hi Pablo,

Tried it on a mac computer booted with Xubuntu. But the problem seems to be similar. I get the texts:

Using U-booot target: edison-blankcdc

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

dfu-util: Cannot open DFU device 8087:0a99

Timed out while waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

DEBUG: lsusb

....... etcetera

I use ./flashall.sh

Should I use an external power supply when flashing? I now use the breakout board with only the two micro USB cables connected to the computer.

I also found this post:

No Edison Drive After Failed Flash |Intel Communities

But the method described there as solution does not work either.

Best, Hans.

• 12. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                                PabloM_Intel

Hi Hans,

I think a better idea would be to open a ticket following this link https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US. We will be able to further help you with your issue.

How long ago did you buy the board? If the board is still under warranty period and we determine the board is damage we should be able to help you with a replacement. Please open a ticket in the link above and attach the proof of purchase.

Regards,

-Pablo

• 13. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                                  ObjSal

I have the same issue, I got the "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." error after updating to the latest firmware till this date.

• 14. Re: Edison not readable by computer
                                    Electrumpet

Hi ObjSal,

I resolved my issue using a windows computer (for now at least).

There was a quirk though. I re-initialised the disk first with the flash tool light (or so I thought) but there was not much action since the flash tool discovered my existing MAC configuration of the Edison and was fine with it. Then I tried to use the phone flash application to flash the Yocto image which always failed on the MAC. That went wrong exactly the same as it always did on the MAC (or Linux). Because of this failure I had to re-initialise the disk again but now the Windows flash tool light had to do a lot of actions and downloaded, installed and updated quite a few utilities. The initialising process succeeded and after this I was also able to flash the Yocto image with the phone flash application. When I plugged the board in my mac it was recognised as a disk ('NO NAME'). So I guess this means that I can now use my Edison on the MAC again.

Hope this helps.

Best, Hans.