Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

Help: XTU (6.0.2.8) is crashing into blue screen

idata
Employee

Problem:

Every time when I try to start XTU, my Windows 10 Pro crash with a blue screen. Faulting module is always iocbios2.sys.

Environment:

CPU: i7-6820HK

Actions taken:

(none solve the problem)

I removed XTU, reboot my machine, and reinstall XTU.

I navigate to the XTU installation folder - Drivers - IocDriver, and run InstallDriver.exe. Reboot.

On admin-console run "sfc /scannow". Reboot.

Expected result:

I like to use XTU and need support to resolve the crash.

What can I do? Could you please help?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Schiroky:

Could you please provide me with your DxDiag report?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amy,

thanks for your support. Please find the file here:

www.schiroky.com/forum/dxdiag.txt

Regards,

Claus Schiroky

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ami,

I just did some additional research. I checked my event viewer and was able to find the following logs:

Application:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\XtuService.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\XtuService.exe.Config" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

System:

The Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility Service service failed to start due to the following error:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I'll concentrate on this now. On anohter machine I installed the new version 6.1.2.8 today and I'll compare the conent of the config file today. Before I'll remove my installation and install the new version. I'll update you later with the results. Let me know if you have any additional information about the logs.

Regards,

Claus Schiroky

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello again,

It is a pity that nobody helped to solve the issue. I was able to get rid of the issue now.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/103897 Schiroky, I apologize for the delay.

Were you able to fix the issue? I have been trying to replicate this in our system but unfortunately I haven't been able to.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amy,

Yes, I was able to solve the issue. But if you want to reproduce the problem, in my environment I just had to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2015. After a reboot I had the problem.

Regards,

Claus

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue.

Thank you for sharing that information on how to reproduce the scenario.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos