1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 6:59 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK Freezes

Berton

NUC freezes consistently when running CPU at 40% for approx. 10 minutes,   Windows 10 Pro fresh install with the current BIOS and Drivers, tried a second unit with the same result,  any thoughts  ?   or wait for a BIOS or driver update ?

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, Berton:

I would like to gather some information in order to address this matter, so please download the Download Intel® System Support Utility, and attach it, with this report I will be able to confirm some of that information.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
            Berton

Here is the Scan

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
              Intel Corporation

Berton, thank you for the report.

What apps/tasks are you running when you get the freezing?

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                Berton

the program is a security monitor program monitoring 14 cameras, I have included the link below.

Download Blue Iris

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                  Intel Corporation
                  • Is there any chance you can run the NUC with one memory stick?
                  • Please download and run the Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, once done attach the report.
                  • Try setting the cooling to max in your BIOS configuration.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                    Berton

Attached is the test results,  I had previously had one memory stick in the NUC,  I replaced with two 8 gig sticks with the same result,  the program has always run on other computers with no issues

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                      Intel Corporation

Thank you for the file.

Could you please share with the system configuration of those computers?

Press F9 in your BIOS configuration, and try one more time.

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                        edzx82

I have the same problem playing videos.  CPU usage will hover around 35-40%.  The NUC6i7KYK will randomly freeze during video playback with the latest version of VLC media player.  I'm playing h.265 video with AAC audio.  I've also tested with Plex Media Player, and Media Player Classic, and they're all experiencing the same issue.  I RMAed the NUC6i7KYK, and currently waiting for a replacement to test again.

Attached is my SSU log.

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                          Berton

I have 3 of the NUC6i7KYK, I have one still in the box and the other two freeze after 5 to 15 minutes.  the third unit will likely do the same, I have responded to a lot of questions but still no answer to my initial question (do I wait for driver or BIOS updates),  my hunch is will need to wait for drivers or Bios updates, unless there is a hardware defect in all 3 units I have.

If anyone has experience with a stable NUC of this type (never froze or any issues), please let me know your hardware configuration and I will purchase and try the same.

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                            Berton

Amy

I manage over 1000 intel computers/CPU's, mostly i7,  I have no issues with freezes,  I purchase 3 of these and they are not able to remain stable (Freeze after 5 to 10 minutes),  only install windows 10pro and one program as described

If you can tell me a configuration of this NUC that will work then I will purchase another to your specification.

Thank you

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                              Intel Corporation

Berton, I apologize if my questions are causing you an inconvenience. The reason why I am gathering all these pieces of information is because in order to try to replicate this we need all the possible scenarios, however; I am not going to lie the replication process for this case is going to be complicated due to the hardware you have, by that I mean the cameras configuration. Based on your description this is definitely an isolated situation, but in order to address this with possible drivers or BIOS updates we need the questions to be answered.

edzx82, thank you for joining the thread. I noticed that your issue is different from the one reported here, so my recommendation is to create a new thread and this is because we would like to isolate each case and address them in a different manner based on the issue being reported. 

Regards,

Amy.

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                                edzx82

Amy,

I believe it's the same issue. 

Berton stated that "NUC freezes consistently when running CPU at 40% for approx. 10 minutes,   Windows 10 Pro fresh install with the current BIOS and Drivers, tried a second unit with the same result,  any thoughts  ?   or wait for a BIOS or driver update ?"

When I consistently run the CPU around 35-40% or higher, with a fresh Windows 10 Pro install, with latest BIOS and Drivers, it freezes.

And it seems to do so regardless of application.  I've tried several media player applications, and even video encoding with Handbrake will cause the freezing.  And the NUC will randomly restart when I run Prime 95 to stress test the system too.  Pretty much all applications I've used that take a lot of constant CPU usage seems to crash the NUC.

Regards,

Edward

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                                  Noxxle

I just ran prime 95 for 15 minutes, no issues. CPU was maxed the entire time.

Maybe it's related to your SSD? Lots of reports of issues with the Samsung 950. I'm using Crucial's MX200.

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYK Freezes
                                    edzx82

Maybe you can try Prime 95 for an extended period of time. It crashes randomly. The last time I ran it, it took 6 hours before the system restarted unexpectedly.

1 2 Previous Next