4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 5:54 AM by mark_kram

Sleep mode current consumption problem

mark_kram

Hi, I have a problem with current consumption in sleep mode. Generally in sleep mode the D2000 board consumes 22mA and in deep sleep 17mA (when using the Power example code).

Problem descrition:

I have two D2000 boards. Couple days ago I was trying to run Power example code on the firs of them. And all was great (I mean the MCU goes sleep and takes below 1mA) so I tried to use this sleep mode in my application. When the development part was finished I wanted to test how it works, but when measuring the power consumption it turned out that in sleep mode it was consuming ~21-22mA and in deep sleep 17mA. I thought that I might commit some simple mistake and I flashed the board again by "Power" example code. But the board consumes still 21-22mA in sleep mode and 17mA in deep sleep mode (board was flashed many times of course). So the next step I took the new one board and flash it by "Power" example and the board was  consuming below 1mA, after that I flash it (this new board) with my application and it was working properly I mean in sleepmode it consuming below 1mA. After two or three days of development and tests (the board was flashed many times) this new board has started to consume 21mA in sleep mode and 17mA deep sleep (with both programs my and Power example). Currently both of the boards are consuming 21mA in sleep mode and 17mA in deep sleep mode.

My question is what can be the reason of this situation?

• 1. Re: Sleep mode current consumption problem
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

So, the issue is basically that the board consumption the first time it’s flashed is around 1mA, and being flashed more than once leads to higher power consumption in sleep and deep sleep modes. This question seems to be somewhat related to your other thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/103835? If the factory reset is successful then the board would then be consuming the 1mA needed for your application. We posted a suggestion in your other thread on how to do a factory reset, give it a try and let us know your results.

-Sergio

• 2. Re: Sleep mode current consumption problem
            mark_kram

Hi Alvarado,

thanks for your respone. The problem is that a new board consumes below 1mA no matter if it is flashed with Power example or my program. But after many flashing operations sudenly it starts to consume mentioned 21mA and 16mA. I have already tested it on my two boards (now I'm working on third one but I'm afraid it will probably not take long).

• 3. Re: Sleep mode current consumption problem
              Intel_Alvarado

We’ll do some tests to try and get the Quark to factory mode. We want to see if the behavior you get can be corrected after flashing while the board is in factory mode. We’ll post a reply for you here https://communities.intel.com/thread/103835 soon.

-Sergio

• 4. Re: Sleep mode current consumption problem
                mark_kram

Dear all, the problem seems to be solved. I have made today a thermal picture of the two boards: the good one and that, which takes over 21mA in sleep mode. In the thermal picture of the older board (this one which takes 21mA in sleep mode) we observed that only one element was "red/warm" (had higher temperature than other elements of the board) it was the element named Q4. On the good board this element wasn't so "red/warm". We removed it and put there a new one. After this operation the board starts to takes below 1mA in the sleep mode. So the reason of this high current consumption was the damaged/broken transistor Q4.

Thank all of you who has been helping me resolving this issue, yours ideas and support were very important.

1 of 1 people found this helpful