3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2016 10:18 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH sudden crash/restart problem "BIOS unsuccessful POST attempts"

Denizen

Hi All

I bought a NUC6i5SYH on Friday. I immediately updated the bios to version 44 (and loaded and saved BIOS defaults), then fitted it with a Samsung 950 PRO M.2 and 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX memory, and installed Win 10 Pro. The only other hardware attached is a keyboard and mouse plugged into separate USB sockets. I haven't made any changes to BIOS settings.

In the last 48 hours I've had three sudden, hard restarts while in Windows (one of which occurred during Windows installation). Each time this happened, when restarting, the message "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)" was displayed.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this before I send it back?

Denizen

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH sudden crash/restart problem "BIOS unsuccessful POST attempts"
          N.Scott.Pearson

Usually, when you see the "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)" message, the problem is in the DRAM subsystem. I would try running for a day or two with only one of the DIMMs installed and see if the problem repeats. If nothing happens, move the DIMM to the other socket and run for a day or two. If nothing happens, switch to the other DIMM and go through the same process. If the problem repeats - but with only one of the DIMMs - you have a bad DIMM and should get it replaced.

So, this is my "just saying" section. Based purely upon my observations in this forum (and I am here almost every day), it seems like there are way too many problems being reported when HyperX memory is in use. Of course, there are also way too many problems being reported when Samsung NVMe drives are in use. Complicating things is the fact that HyperX memory and Samsung NVMe drives are very often combined, so you don't know whether to point the hairy finger at the memory or the drive or at the NUC itself. All I can say is that I have never seen any issues like this with any of the many NUCs that I have tested - and I have tested with every single model ever produced at one time or another - but (at least since I retired), I don't use HyperX memory and I don't have any NVMe drives...

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH sudden crash/restart problem "BIOS unsuccessful POST attempts"
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, @All:

Denizen, please follow the suggestion mentioned above and let us know if the issue persists.

Regards,

Amy.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH sudden crash/restart problem "BIOS unsuccessful POST attempts"
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hey, Denizen:

Just wanted to check, were you able to get this fixed with the recommendations above?

Please let us know.

Regards,
              Esteban C