5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 10:18 AM by Intel Corporation

2 skull canyon questions: 32 GB ram & update bios

leonardz

1 I purchased 2 16GB ram sticks in a matched pair : see below

when i install centos 7 (a linux variant) everything worked and it came up with 16 GB ram I rebooted and BIOS only saw 16 GB so linux reflected what bios saw.

i shutdown after a couple of hours of working and swappped memery sticks, being sure they were both reseated properly.

Now the system doesn't even POST: there is a flashing powerlight but no screen display:

3 fast flashes, rest for 4 seconds, repeat. Any ideas?

ram purchased:

HX424S14IBK2/32Kingston HyperX Impact SODIMM - 32GB Kit (2x16GB) - DDR4 2400MHz - 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) - DDR4 SDRAM - 2400 MHz DDR4-2400/PC4-19200 - 1.20 V - Non-ECC - Unbuffered - 260-pin - SoDIMM

2 it is running bios 0033. I downloaded the .bio flash version 37 to 2 different usb sticks, both vfat format, one 4 GB , the other 32. When I hit f7 in bios it cannot see the usb key in either case? IS there a trick to it? like only 1 usb port works?

Thanks for any help

• 1. Re: 2 skull canyon questions: 32 GB ram & update bios
          N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, it sounds like you have either a bad DIMM or a bad DIMM socket. Disconnect all peripherals (SSD, HDD (if present) and USB (other than Keyboard and mouse)). Test with only one DIMM installed. Try it in both DIMM sockets. Switch to the other DIMM and try it in both sockets as well.

• If the two DIMMs both work when installed in one of the DIMM sockets but neither work when installed in the other socket, then this other socket is bad (not working or damaged). In this case, you should contact Intel Customer Support directly (not here, this is a user-to-user support community) and set up to have your NUC replaced.
          • If one DIMM works in both of the sockets but the other DIMM doesn't, then this other DIMM is bad and should be replaced.
          • If both DIMMs, when used alone, work fine in either socket, but you then have problems when both DIMMs are installed, you can try changing the DRAM configuration to manual and locking the configuration used. In this case, I suggest that you worry about getting it working at 2133 before worrying about 2400 (your problem may be because it is trying to run them at 2400).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: 2 skull canyon questions: 32 GB ram & update bios
            N.Scott.Pearson

Oops, I forgot to respond to the second question. First, make sure you are using a USB 2.0 flash stick (I have seen compatibility issues with some USB 3.0 flash sticks). Next, go to a Windows PC and reformat the flash stick with FAT32 file system. Place the .BIO file (and only the .BIO file) onto the flash stick.

Could the DRAM issue be cause by a down-rev BIOS? Unlikely, but worth upgrading the BIOS to see...

Hope this helps as well,

...S

• 3. Re: 2 skull canyon questions: 32 GB ram & update bios
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, All:

N.Scott.Pearson, thank you for your collaboration.

leonardZ, I noticed that you marked the last reply as correct answer, were you able to fix that? 

Let me know findings.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: 2 skull canyon questions: 32 GB ram & update bios
                leonardz

Thanks for the followup

1) For some reason my NUC could not see the USB key in a back USB port. Once i plugged it into the left fron port all was good the upgrade went smoothly. I am now at bios version 0037.

2) Yes there was one defective dimm and I am in the process of rmaing the dimms and getting new ones.

Thanks agian to Scott for his help as well.

• 5. Re: 2 skull canyon questions: 32 GB ram & update bios
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

leonardZ, thank you for reporting this, I am glad to hear that you were able to fix this.

N.Scott.Pearson, thank again for all your help.

Regards,
                  Amy.