Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Bluetooth Problems with OS 7

BRobi3
Beginner

Over the past month I have been getting more and more Bluetooth errors : - Bluetooth OBEX Service has stopped Working , Bluetooth Device monitor Stopped working and Bluetooth Media Service Stopped working . I have tried to repair + un-install the Bluetooth driver :- Patch version 17.1.1406.0472 Size 40.4 MB . However every time I try to repair or un-install all I get is this ." There is a problem with this Windows Installer package a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected . Contact your support personnel or package vendor " You then press Ok to clear the message . One thing I did notice is that I only get this Bluetooth Error only with the computer in connected to the internet .

I am new to this site so not sure how I start a new topic regarding this problem but the nearer we get to July the more bluetooth errors I get as I got over 70 today .Any one got any thoughts on how I should go forward as I cannot delete the original bluetooth driver Patch version 17.1.1406.0472 . I did update to the new Bluetooth Drivers however its clear that without removing the old version 17.1.1406.0472 I am still going to get problems . If you require to see screen shots or logs to understand my problem please let me know but at over 70 years of age I am still learning about computers .

These are the errors that I am getting :-

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\devmonsrv.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: devmonsrv.exe

Application Version: 17.0.1405.446

Application Timestamp: 53328911

Fault Module Name: StackHash_e98d

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: ffffffff

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: e98d

Additional Information 2: e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53

Additional Information 3: 6eab

Additional Information 4: 6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 241630331

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\obexsrv.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: obexsrv.exe

Application Version: 17.0.1405.446

Application Timestamp: 533288e5

Fault Module Name: StackHash_e98d

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: ffffffff

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: e98d

Additional Information 2: e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53

Additional Information 3: 6eab

Additional Information 4: 6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 228677443

Cheers

Roy

I hope I am in the correct group for this topic .

Message was edited by: Brian Robinson

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Roy,

As we understand, your system is giving errors from the Bluetooth driver. There are different reasons why this may happen and we will be glad to help you resolve it.

Normally you can remove the Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® (patch version 17.0.1428.1) using the "Uninstall programs" tool in Windows*. Please keep in mind that if this is not possible and the installer gives and error, it may be due to OS problems, software corruption, viruses, etc.

In such case, we would advise to contact https://support.microsoft.com/en-us Microsoft Support, or the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support.

For further assistance, please let us know the following information:

- OS version (including 32 or 64 bits).

- Wireless Adapter model.

- Computer make and model.

JB

0 Kudos
BRobi3
Beginner

Many Thanks JB for your reply as my IT skills are very limited , The update from my end is after many attempts to remove this Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® (patch version 17.0.1428.1) I found a small program on-line that removed and use that but even this tool I had the same message " here is a problem with this Windows Installer package a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected . Contact your support personnel or package vendor " Yes I think your right that my copy of Windows 7 Pro is

corrupt . However again after many attempts I did install the intel driver update program and with that tool I was able to down load new drivers but when I went to install the new drivers I got the same error message " There is a problem with this Windows Installer package a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected . Contact your support personnel or package vendor "

But just when I thought all was lost a few hours later I found that the new drivers had installed them self which is very odd any way for the past 24 hours there has been no more bluetooth errors . If the error returns I will be back but I have a deep feeling that this is M/S pushing people over to windows 10 . I have no intention in moving over to 10 at my age as it took me a long time to get use to 7 .As for the computer its a Dell / Alienware 17 inch with pre installed windows 7 Pro , 64 Bit ,

Wireless adapter AC 7620 .

0 Kudos
MGole1
Beginner

Have you installed the optional update (June 22): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608 ! This update caused on my Sony Vaio or other and Lenovo notebook that devmonsrv.exe and obexsrv.exe doesn't work anymore. If you have installed this update, just uninstall and try if the bluetooth stacks work again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Roy,

We are glad to know you made progress and that your Bluetooth* connection is working now.

What Fegr mentioned is also a valid point, we have had some reports about this update triggering Bluetooth* errors and systems not allowing to install/uninstall BT software. Removing the update seems to help in these cases.

0 Kudos
COrn
Beginner

I have an Asus N550JV that has an Intel AC-7260 wireless/Bluetooth card that I added last year and has performed flawlessly until a few days ago. . I attempted to uninstall and then to repair the Bluetooth software but still encountered the same message as previously stated. I did a complete system rebuild, twice, and was still having the same problem. I have extensive PC support experience but this one had me stumped until I read Fegr's post and it was the correct solution to my problem as well. The MS update "June 2019 Roll-up" seems to be the problem. I uninstalled it and was able to get the system up and running in the time it took me to uninstall/reinstall the Bluetooth Software; then the ProSet/Wireless software. Remember to do it in that order or it will not install the Bluetooth software.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE OF THESE PROBLEMS, DO NOT INSTALL THIS!!!!!!

KB316108 update package fixes the issues that are documented in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

0 Kudos
BRobi3
Beginner

Many Thanks guys for your replys my bluetooth problem has been on going for over a year , If the computer went into sleep mode you would loose your wireless connection and you would need to reset it , This would happen maybe once every few days so I could live with this .The other problem I had was my auto backup stopped working about April of this year and when you tried to back up you just got a message telling you " Contact your support personnel or package vendor " So I was starting to think that my O/S system was corrupt " Windows 7 Pro service pack 1 " This was pre installed by Dell plus they did give me a backup copy on drive E .

But the blue tooth errors seem to get very bad over the last week with about 70 errors in one day but it was impossible to repair or remove the blue tooth driver Patch version 17.1.1406.0472 in the end I found a tool to remove it " Advanced Uninstaller12" even with this tool it still came up with the error " There is a problem with this Windows Installer package a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected . Contact your support personnel or package vendor " After 3 attempts it removed the BT patch 17.1.1406.0472 but even after down loading all the new drivers from the intel site it would not let me install them then about 4 or 5 hours later just like magic my blue tooth mouse started to work again and I checked and found that all the new intel drivers had installed them self .

The main thing is the lap top is running again many thanks again for all the feed back and help but I will stick with windows 7 for as long as I can in the same way I did with 98 and XP .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the update. We know this information will be very helpful for other users facing this kind of issue.

JB
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem with non-functional Bluetooth after installing KB316108. Unfortunately, I really need KB316108 as it contains KB3161647, which I can't get any other way! Windows Update is maxing out my CPU and apparently the fix is to install KB316108. Very frustrating, having to choose between maxed out CPU or functional Bluetooth.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bluetooth_broken,

We already replied to the new thread you created:

/thread/104414 https://communities.intel.com/thread/104414

At this time, we do not have a way to have KB3161608 installed and Bluetooth* working at the same time. We expect this to be resolved in the near future, however, we do not have a specific time for this.

JB
0 Kudos