9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 3:55 PM by Intel Corporation

Error compiling for board Intel® Edison

robot1

I am new to intel edison and I am using Arduino 1.6.9 on linux ubuntu.

My board setup is intel edison and port is set to '/dev/ttyACM1'.

ttyACM0 is connected to arduino uno.

when I try to verify the Blink example code, it shows:

fork/exec /home/user/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/i586-poky-linux-g++: no such file or directory

Error compiling for board Intel® Edison.

I do not have Intel i586 Board package. I only have i686 which is for edison.Do I need to redirect the location? If so where should I redirect it?

• 1. Re: Error compiling for board Intel® Edison
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi robot1,

I just tried to reproduce your issue, however, I didn’t encounter any compilation problem when trying to verify the Blink example. I did get some warnings when downloading/installing the Edison package from the Arduino IDE Board Manager, so I’m thinking that your issue has something to do with this. Could you please try to remove and install again the Edison package from the IDE? Also, try closing the Arduino IDE software, then disconnect your Arduino UNO, open the IDE again and try to verify once more, I remember having some issues in the past regarding ACM ports.

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: Error compiling for board Intel® Edison
            robot1

Hi Pablo,

I did exactly what you told me to do but it is still not working. However, on Arduino 1.5.3-intel.1.0.3 works fine. But I need to use latest version of arduino for my project.  Here are the links I downloaded Arduino IDE

Arduino 1.5.3-intel1.0.3: Drivers & Software

Arduino 1.6.9: Arduino - Software

Arduin 1.5.3: Arduino - Donate

First I tried Arduin 1.6.9, when to Boards Manager and Installed intel i686 Boards by intel ver 1.6.7+1.0 and I got flowing error.(I did not installed any other things including Galieo)

fork/exec /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/i586-poky-linux-g++: no such file or directory

I was trying to find the i586-poky-linux-g++ file (which I have no clue why it says i586) but I couldn't find it.

After, I downloaded Arduino 1.5.3-Intel1.0.3. Example program Blink worked fine on this but I couldn't run my mesh program(RF24 mesh library can not be imported. other RF24 and RF24 Network works fine ). mesh program works fine one Arduino Uno so I assumed that Its not a program issue.

Thank you for your help

regards,

Jihoo

P.S.

I did followed 'IoT - Get Started with the Intel(R) Edison Development Board on Linux* | Intel® Software ' very carefully and did everything they told me to do before I worked on IDE.

My Goal is to run Intel edison on most recent version of Arduino IDE.

my command line for running arduino on terminal is gksudo ./arduino or sudo ./arduino.

• 3. Re: Error compiling for board Intel® Edison
              Intel Corporation

Hi robot1,

I want to run some more tests with the latest IDE. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
              -Pablo

• 4. Re: Error compiling for board Intel® Edison
                Intel Corporation

Hi robot1,

I’m wondering if this issue could be related to the current Edison image that you’re using. I would suggest you to download the latest image available from the Downloads site https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/edison/downloads. If this already the case, please try with the previous image, http://iotdk.intel.com/src/3.0/edison/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315.zip. If you’re unsure on how to upload the previous image to your Edison, follow these instructions: https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154 and ignore the first step where it says to download and extract the latest Yocto image, just use the one I provided above (3.0).
                I just want to make sure that the image is not causing the problem with the Arduino IDE, so go ahead and test the latest IDE (1.6.9).

Regards,
                -Pablo

• 5. Re: Error compiling for board Intel® Edison
                  robot1

Hi Pablo,

Thank you for you reply.

So I tried what you mentioned and it did not work.

But before I forgot to tell you one issue I have that might be causing a problem.

When I install intel i686 Board package from boards manager, it shows 'Error running post install script'.

and It shows

fork/exec /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/i586-poky-linux-g++: no such file or directory

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/sbin/vipw links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/sbin/vipw.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/sbin/vigr links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/sbin/vigr.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/bin/login links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/bin/login.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/bin/su links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/bin/su.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/sbin/chpasswd links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/sbin/chpasswd.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/newgrp links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/newgrp.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/passwd links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/passwd.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/chfn links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/chfn.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/groups links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/groups.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/chsh links to an absolute path /opt/poky-edison/1.6.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/chsh.shadow

Warning: file /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/etc/ld.so.cache links to an absolute path /etc/ld.so.cache

Setting it up.../tmp/tmp.l4N99jrega/relocate_sdk.sh /root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/relocate_sdk.sh

SDK could not be set up. Relocate script failed. Abort!

find: invalid mode ‘+111’

I ignored that and compiled/vitrify and  that is when my problem shows up.

fork/exec /home/user/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/sysroots/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/i586-poky-linux-g++: no such file or directory

I tried to google it and solve +111 problem and I found people saying to change +111 to /111 on /root/arduino-1.x.x/hardware/tools/install_script.sh

find: invalid mode ‘+111’

But my install_script.sh is not there. my location for install_script.sh is at

/root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/sketchUploader/1.6.2+1.0/x86/bin/install_script.sh

and

/root/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/install_script.sh

so I changed +111 to  /111 inside both file and still not work.

To summarize my problem

1. Installing intel i686 Board package from boards manager, it shows 'Error running post install script'.

2. Ignoring the error and compiling shows problem I previously mentioned

3.changing +111 to /111 does not work , shows same problem as 2

Thank you for your help

regards,

robot1

• 6. Re: Error compiling for board Intel® Edison
                    Intel Corporation

Hi robot1,

Did you try with both images, 3.0 and 3.5? Also, besides Arduino IDE 1.6.9 and 1.5.3, have you tried with previous IDE versions (e.g: 1.6.8, 1.6.7)?
                    At some point you mentioned that you were able to compile successfully with IDE 1.5.3, but that you needed to use IDE 1.6.9. Could you please tell me the reason? If we are not able to solve the issue with the latest IDE we might try to add the necessary libraries to an older version so that you can work with that (assuming that this is the reason why you can’t use older versions).

Regards,
                    -Pablo

• 7. Re: Error compiling for board Intel® Edison
                      Intel Corporation

Hi robot1, 

Do you have updates on this case? 

Regards, 
                      -Pablo

• 8. Re: Error compiling for board Intel® Edison
                        robot1

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes I have tried with both 3.0 and 3.5.I tried Arduino 1.6.9, 1.6.7, 1.6.0, 1.5.3 and 1.5.0.

I need to use it because of RF24 Libraries. I am trying to use RF24,RF24Network and RF24Mesh. site: Arduino: Using the full potential of NRF24L01 radio modules

For now I am just using arduino uno and mini. But it will be great if I can use intel edison.

Problem is I cannot add those Libraries in some reason.

This is the board that I am using: Romeo for intel edison

Thank you so much for your reply.

• 9. Re: Error compiling for board Intel® Edison
                          Intel Corporation

Hi robot1,

I understand that this library is not Edison compatible due to its architecture, it seems that the library was designed just for the Arduino. However, reading some other threads I found this option, http://tmrh20.github.io/RF24/index.html, which is apparently an improved NRF24L01 and it is stated that supports Edison and Galileo, so you can give it a try when you have the time.
                          You can also contact the Romeo support team, they might have some helpful input regarding this issue too.

Regards,
                          -Pablo