12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 1:20 PM by Intel Corporation

power usage in Intel edsion

IoT_srinivas

Hi ,

I want to measure power consumption on Edison board and other devices/interface(Wi-Fi ,BT and connected Sensors) .

Is there any way to measure the power on Edison.

• 1. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

You can connect 256 different devices to the I2C bus (0-255). What do you mean with using the I2C bus continuously, are you talking about the repeated start condition http://www.i2c-bus.org/repeated-start-condition/ .?

There’s information on the I2C in the Edison module hardware guide http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005808.html
          You can also see information on the I2C here http://www.i-programmer.info/programming/hardware/9124-exploring-edison-i2c-bus.html

What devices do you have connected and how are they connected when you ran the i2cdetect –l command? You can see more information on i2cdetect and it’s various options here http://linux.die.net/man/8/i2cdetect

-Sergio

• 2. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
            IoT_srinivas

Hi Sergio ,

Here is the my code snippiest.I want to use I2C on Linux.

When i connect the I2C bus.I was getting same log(prevision thread) .I was unable to detect the I2C BUS.

I connected SDA and SCL line on Intel  Edison Arduion expansion board.

Could you please provide the how to configure I2C and  read the data from I2C.

Kindly share producer to I2C sensor(HTS221).

/******* Sensor code *************/

#include <Wire.h>

#include <Arduino.h>

#include <HTS221.h>

// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board

void setup() {

//Initiate the Wire library and join the I2C bus

Wire.begin();

smeHumidity.begin();

Serial.begin(115200);

}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever

void loop() {

double data = 0;

data = smeHumidity.readHumidity();

Serial.print("Humidity   : ");

Serial.print(data);

Serial.println(" %");

data = smeHumidity.readTemperature();

Serial.print("Temperature: ");

Serial.print(data);

Serial.println(" celsius");

//ledRedLight(LOW);

delay(100);

//ledRedLight(HIGH);       // turn the LED on

delay(500);              // wait for a second

}

• 3. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
              Flo1991

First thing I would like to correct is the number of possible devices.

I2C uses 7 address bits and some are reserved, so it is not possible to connect 256 devices (refering to normal I2C, an extended address range with 10 address bits is possible).

Furthermore there are some bus limitations (range, current, capacitance).

To sum it up you should be able to use up to around 5-10 devices on one bus without additional hardware (bus expanders etc...).

For more information read: Mouser Electronics - Be back soon...

For an arduino example using I2C see:

Arduino - MasterWriter

For a first example try to read device ID register, called "WHO_AM_I" for HTS221.h

(see http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/4d/9a/9c/ad/25/07/42/34/DM00116291.pdf/files/DM00116…  page 18)

Flo1991

• 4. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
                IoT_srinivas

Hi Flo1991 ,

I have all these details along with me.

I want to use I2C on Linux.When i connect the I2C bus.I was getting same log(prevision thread) .I was unable to detect the I2C BUS.

I connected SDA and SCL line on Intel  Edison Arduion expansion board.

Could you please provide the how to configure I2C and  read the data from I2C.

• 5. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
                  HarryF

Hi

Getting started with any new device/protocol is always tough because you never know if you should blame the software or the hardware or the master or the slave.

I always try and do the smallest possible thing first - get that working and then move on to something more advanced.

In this way you can move from something simple to something more difficult and be sure you know what is working and so focus on the new elements.

I would suggest you try working with a single simple I2C device first.

I would also recommend using the mini-break out board there is so much less to get between you and the Edison.

My final advice is to ignore the Linux SYSFS commands - in my experience they miss devices, give the wrong information and occasionally make the system hang.

Have a look at

Exploring Edison - I2C Bus

and

Exploring Edison - I2C Measuring Temperature And Humidity http://www.i-programmer.info/programming/hardware/9137-exploring-edison-i2c-measuring-temperature-and-humidity.html

I really would recommend trying to get the example working before trying the more sophisticated device you want to work with.

• 6. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
                    IoT_srinivas

Hi ,

I want to compile/install the third party driver along  with Intel Edison.

I have driver for HTS221.

We are using this link .meta-intel-edison - Layer for the Intel Edison Development Platform

I was able to compile and install the image successfully.

Steps :

Prepare your workspace:

$ mkdir my_Edison_Workspace

2- Get this layer:

$ git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel-edison

3- Make things easier with 'make':

$ ln -s meta-intel-edison/utils/Makefile.mk Makefile

4- Download all the needed dependencies:

$ make setup

5- Build Intel Edison Yocto distribution:

$ make edison-image

6- Flash the board:

$ make flash

• 7. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
                      IoT_srinivas

Hi ,

Please clarify the  doubt on I2c bus

we can connect 5 to devices in one i2c bus and overall eight i2c buses. we can connect 40 to 80 devices .

Please provide the details about i2c extended address range with Edison and  Bus expandera details.( make,model number,where to buy).

• 8. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
                        Intel Corporation

We haven’t tested any i2c bus expanders on the Edison, so we can’t recommend any specific products. If you’re looking to use a bus expander on the Edison, I’d recommend to look for the I2C specifications of both the board and the bus expander you’re planning to use to make sure they’re compatible so they’ll be able to fit the needs of your project.

You can look at http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/p82b715.pdf , for example, as a reference on bus expanders

-Sergio

• 9. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
                          IoT_srinivas

Hi Sergio,

With out any extra i2c hardware .How many devices can we connect.Can we connect Max 256 ? or some thing else .

Did you get a change to tested Maximum devises on I2C.

How many I2C devices can support in Edison.

• 10. Re: I2C BUS for Intel Edison.
                            Intel Corporation

We haven’t tried to connect so many devices to the I2c line but, in practice, you’d have to take into consideration several things. The end results will vary depending on the different scenarios, sensors and external circuitry added.

Some I2C devices have onboard pullup resistors. If you take the total pull up resistance of the circuit, you can obtain the current that would go through the Edison pins. Make sure this current doesn’t exceed the maximum current the Edison hardware can permit.

The bus length is also related. If the bus is too large, because of many devices used, there are capacitive loading effects that might alter the way the circuit works. Also, some devices can't support the full range of I2C addresses, which will limit the amount of sensors in your project.

This means, that there’s not a specific number of devices you can simply connect to the bus. It depends very much on the design of the circuit, the sensors used and how you implement your project.

-Sergio

• 11. Re: power usage in Intel edsion
                              IoT_srinivas

Hi ,

I want to measure power consumption on Edison board and other devices/interface(Wi-Fi ,BT and connected Sensors) .

Is there any way to measure the power on Edison.

Any update on this ? I want use similar to powertop in ubuntu.

• 12. Re: power usage in Intel edsion
                                Intel Corporation

Hi IoT_srinivas,

This question is not related to the original subject of the thread. Please create a new thread with a detailed explanation of your question.

-Sergio