7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 6:08 PM by Intel Corporation

webcam stopped working

tlandim

So I am using a webcam connected to my Edison, it was working fine however suddenly it stopped working

I tried the following commands, and got the respectively errors:

ls -l /dev/video0

ls: cannot access /dev/video0: No such file or directory

lsusb

unable to initialize libusb: -99

modprobe uvcvideo

modprobe: ERROR: /iotdk/noel/newpull/devkit-build-tools/workdir/build_edison/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/kmod/18+gitAUTOINC+ae58de0fcb-r0/git/libkmod/libkmod-module.c:186 kmod_module_parse_depline() ctx=0x8586008 path=/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/kernel/drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-vmalloc.ko error=No such file or directory

modprobe: ERROR: /iotdk/noel/newpull/devkit-build-tools/workdir/build_edison/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/kmod/18+gitAUTOINC+ae58de0fcb-r0/git/libkmod/libkmod-module.c:186 kmod_module_parse_depline() ctx=0x8586008 path=/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/kernel/drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-vmalloc.ko error=No such file or directory

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'uvcvideo': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

What I understood is that appearently the USB is not recognizing the webcam anymore.

Does anyone have an idea??

• 1. Re: webcam stopped working
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi tlandim,

I’m wondering if maybe by mistake you moved the SW1 switch and deactivate the USB host mode (the switch should be facing the standard USB port). Did you already check this? You might also try to power on the board with the switch set as USB device mode (facing the micro USB ports) and once the board has finished the booting process, move the switch to activate Host mode.
          Also, for how long were you able to use this webcam? Was this the first time that you were using it with your Edison board?

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: webcam stopped working
            tlandim

Yes I checked the SW1 switch and it was in the correct position. I was using the webcam for the last 3 months.

I know the webcam is not the problem because I tested it on a computer and it worked. Also I tried to connect my Edison board (with the correct position of the microswitch) on my computer, however didn't appear the driver "Edison".

I am thinking the problem may be in the hardware.

• 3. Re: webcam stopped working
              Intel Corporation

Hi tlandim,

It does seems like a hardware issue, so we would like to know the source of it.
              Do you see any LED activity when you connect the board?
              Do you remember connecting something that triggered this behavior? Or maybe a voltage drop at some point that could have caused the issue.
              How have you been powering up the board? Are you using the power supply or just the micro USB cable?
              Could you please try to connect any other USB device (other than the webcam)? This is just to make sure that every device is showing the same behavior.
              What do you get in your Device manager when connecting the Edison?

Regards,
              -Pablo

• 4. Re: webcam stopped working
                Intel Corporation

Hi tlandim,

Do you have updates on this case?

Regards,
                -Pablo

• 5. Re: webcam stopped working
                  tlandim

Hi,

Sorry for taking too long to give you a response.

Yes there is LED activity.

No, I didn't connect anything that could result in this behavior.

I am powering my board using a power supply.

I tried with different devices and the behavior was the same.

I got that something was connected when I checked the Device Manager, however the computer didn't mount a new driver named Edison.

Regards,

Tiago.

• 6. Re: webcam stopped working
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Tiago,

Have you considered an issue with the Edison drivers? If not, I would suggest you to remove all Edison-related drivers from your system and then try to run the Setup Tool again, if you are working under Windows try to install the drivers manually just to see if you get a different result.
                    If that doesn’t solve the issue, I would suggest you to open a ticket following this link https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US? so that we can handle your issue as a warranty case.

Regards,
                    -Pablo

• 7. Re: webcam stopped working
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Tiago,

Do you have updates on this case? Did you open the email ticket?

Regards,
                      -Pablo