Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Warning: RST 9.5.6.1001 and DPC Latency

idata
Employee

Long story short: I had been using Rapid Storage Technology 9.5.4 for quite a while, and then (unwisely) reconfigured a number of things on my Windows 7 64-bit system at the same time, including upgrading to RST 9.5.6.1001. A few days later, I then noticed stuttering in iTunes, and eventually got to the point of using the tool "dpclat" to measure my DPC Latency: it declared it unacceptable due to bursts. After a number of failed experiments, I reinstalled RST 9.5.4, and the stuttering is gone. iTunes is solid, and "dpclat" reports no high latencies.

Obligatory irrelevant system info: Intel Core i7 Extreme 965, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P, 12 GB Corsair, four Seagate 7200.11 1.5 TB drives, two eVGA GeForce GTX 260, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

You're not the only one with this problem. I don't know what the difference between the 9.5.4 and 9.5.6 drivers is but whatever Intel have done it's introduced terrible DPC latency problems in 9.5.6 resulting in bad video & audio stutter. Back to 9.5.4 the problem goes away.

Taken me hours of diagnostics, fiddling & reboots to pin it down to the driver. (using dpclat & xperf)

Similar system to yours: Intel Core i7 , Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, 3 GB Corsair, four Western Digital Raptor 36Gb drives (Raid 5), ATI 1900 PCI-e video, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi (software version). Windows 7 (64bit) Ultimate

Message was edited by: Bobins

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Bobins for confirming my observation, at least for your config. From the amount of attention I was being given in the main RST 9.5.6 thread, I was beginning to think I was imagining the whole thing 🙂

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't know if it's just me, and gigabyte boards, but I always get DPC latency issues if I'm using the default Vista/7 power plan..

EP35-DS4 (BIOS F6) - Win7 x64

and EP45-UD3 (BIOS F9) - running Vista x64

I don't know if it's cosmetic or what.. but the minute I change Vista/7 to "High performance", suddently DPC latency disappears.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Ozz.

I currntly run my system in "High Performance" mode all the time and I've tried disabling all the bios "power saving" options one-by-one.

The only thing that made a difference was going back from 9.5.6 to the 9.4.6 drivers.

I suspect that something Intel is doing to improve the SSD compatibility of the software is moving it away from supporting some combinations of motherboard and mechanical drives. (a SATA 1 support isue perhaps?)

0 Kudos