Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7352 Discussions

4 new computers all giving Bluetooth OBEX and Device Monitor errors

WWayn1
New Contributor I

Purchase 6 brand new laptops: 4 x Lenovo T450's and 2 x HP ProBook 650's

All with Windows 7 Pro oem. Did the basic initial install from the pre-loaded OS environment and then the usual MS Updates. Somewhere during the rounds of MS Updates, 3 of the 4 Lenovo's and one of the HP's all began displaying the following errors, both randomly and on reboot:

"Bluetooth OBEX Service"

UI[8]=Bluetooth OBEX Service stopped working and was closed

UI[9]=A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available

"Bluetooth Device Monitor"

UI[2]=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\devmonsrv.exe

UI[5]=Check online for a solution (recommended)

UI[6]=Check for a solution later (recommended)

UI[7]=Close

UI[8]=Bluetooth Device Monitor stopped working and was closed

UI[9]=A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

UI[10]=&Close

These are all fresh installs. The only other thing installed was MS Office on a few, and McAfee Enterprise Antivirus (Identical version used on several hundred other laptops).

Tried to uninstall the Bluetooth Driver on the Lenovo's but it refuses, rolling-back. Tried to install latest BT INtel driver - also refuses with a bombout and rollback.

What is going on here? Has a recent MS KB Broken INtel BT???

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are glad to inform that the new version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows 7*, that fixes the compatibility issue with the Microsoft KB 3161608/3172605 is already available and can be downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26191 Here.

- Note that you have to remove these Windows updates and any existing Bluetooth* drivers before installing this new driver.

- This release only applies to the current generation of wireless adapters:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Additional details, including the instructions to install it can be found in the following link:

A solution for additional adapters will come a few weeks later.

Regards,

Jonathan

View solution in original post

31 Replies
SB16
Beginner

T550, Intel Bluetooth 7265 here.

I have the same issue since getting a whole bunch of Win7 updates yesterday.

Bluetooth audio suddenly stopped working. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but they all fail and then the installation rolls back.

(The actual drivers seem to work, but the services don't.)

Here's an MSI log from the Lenovo driver package (which is repackaged Intel driver):

MSI (s) (30:EC) [23:11:30:353]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=InstallOBEXService,ActionType=3106,Source=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\,Target="C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\obexsrv.exe" -service,)

CustomAction InstallOBEXService returned actual error code -1073741819 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

MSI (s) (30:EC) [23:11:30:649]: Note: 1: 1722 2: InstallOBEXService 3: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\ 4: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\obexsrv.exe" -service

MSI (s) (30:EC) [23:11:30:649]: Transforming table Error.

Error 1722. Es liegt ein Problem mit dem Windows Installer-Paket vor. Ein als Teil des Setups ausgeführtes Programm wurde nicht erwartungsgemäß beendet. Setzen Sie sich mit dem Support oder dem Hersteller des Pakets in Verbindung. Aktion InstallOBEXService, Pfad: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\, Befehl: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\obexsrv.exe" -service

(Translation: There is a problem with the Windows Installer Package. A part of the setup has quit unexpectedly. Contact support or vendor. [...])

So now I have a non-working Bluetooth stack.

0 Kudos
WWayn1
New Contributor I

I get the same error message you have translated on the Lenovo's and the HP using both oem and Intel drivers

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Desertsweeper and tomcat_

Could you please inform which Intel® Wireless Adapter is installed in each computer so we can look into that?

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
SB16
Beginner

Hi Aleki,

Thanks for your support.

I have the Intel(R) Wireless-N 7265.

HW ID: VID 8087, PID 0A2A

Regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
WWayn1
New Contributor I

Hi Aleki. Here are the details:

HP ProBook 650 with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 (Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 + High Speed Adapter

Driver v2.6.23.40059

Lenovo T450 with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (NGW)

Out of the box driver is v17.1.1411.502 (But part of the prep stage is Lenovo Update that installs v18.40)

I have cracked out another identical T450 and am in the process of troubleshooting to see which KB breaks the BT...

0 Kudos
WWayn1
New Contributor I

Sorry Aleki, correction, Lenovo Update installs BT v19.0.1601.582

After performing the following steps )done previously on the other 4 laptops with this error) I can report that the laptop is completely stable with no errors:

Open laptop, upgrade RAM to 8GB, install 500GB SSD Drive

Clone original Hard Disk to SSD

Boot Laptop and do initial steps to get to Windows, turn Windows Update OFF (for now)

Now manually install:

KB3020369-x64 (Service Stacking Update)

KB3138612-x54 (New Windows Update version)

KB947821-v34-x64 (Readiness Tool)

KB3125574-v4-x64 (Windows Update Rollup)

Dot Net 4.61

Then uninstall all Lenovo Bloatware

Disable Defragmentation

"Hide" Recovery partition by removing drive-letter

Then install McAfee Enterprise and manually update to latest signatures.

Now connect to Internet for the first time and update Lenovo drivers using "Lenovo Update" incl BIOS

This updates the BlueTooth driver to v19.0.1601.582

Update Adobe AIR to v22

Update Adobe Reader v11 to latest patch

Install TeamViewer Host v10

Windows is now completely stable, the error does not appear on multiple reboots or waiting for 30 minutes.

Now I start with MS windows and Apps updates via "Windows Update"...Zzzzz Waiting for the list of updates to appear. Will then install one-by-one until the error appears...

0 Kudos
WWayn1
New Contributor I

Two hours later and Windows Update gives an error "Failed - try again". Is it only me who is starting to suspect MS has crippled Windows 7 Update to push users to Windows 10....??? Updating Windows 7 using Windows Update is the bane of my technical life...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Desertsweeper and tomcat_,

We have recently released a new Bluetooth* Driver version: 19.00.1621. You can find it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26065/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technology-for-Windows-7- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows* 7

Could you please try this version and let us know if the issue persists.

Best Regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
WWayn1
New Contributor I

Aleki, the problem is that it is not possible to uninstall or install a newer version of the driver once the problem presents. As tomcat_. pointed out, any attempt to install newer version or uninstall older version bombs out and roll's back:

"There is a problem with the Windows Installer Package. A part of the setup has quit unexpectedly. Contact support or vendor"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Desertsweeper and tomcat_,

This last piece of information suggests that this issue may be caused by Windows*, however, we are going to investigate as well. In order to do so, we need some more information, could you please collect the logs from this tool:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility and send to us here?

We recommend that to contact Microsoft* for additional support as well.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
SB16
Beginner

Aleki,

Here's the info from System Support Utiliy: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vw56kjrjvw3t8x/intel_system_info.xml?dl=0 Dropbox - intel_system_info.xml

(I'm not sure what you can read from it... since I have no Bluetooth driver installed currently, it doesn't show the device sensibly...)

I have tried the drivers you mentioned above (19.00.1621), but also 18.16.1, and 17.1.1501.05 (provided by Lenovo).

All show the same problem, even though they worked just one week ago (I think I had 18.16.1 installed before it all broke).

Regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

tomcat_

Thank you for the logs, we are going to take a look at the information provided. It may be that we need to engage additional resources and due to this, it make take sometime. We will keep you posted here. Please let us know if you have any additional information to provide.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Desertsweeper,

Please, as soon as you can, send us the logs from the tool provided previously so we can analyze it. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
MGole1
Beginner

I have the same Problem with Windows 7 x64 on Sony Vaio from 2012!

The error appeared after I installed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608

I installed because I have the issue with the Windows Update!

At start of my computer or if I try to start manual this error acccour:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\obexsrv.exe

Das Zeitlimit (30000 ms) wurde beim Verbindungsversuch mit dem Dienst Bluetooth OBEX Service erreicht. In English: The driver didn't answer after 30000ms!

PS: Uninstalled this Update and the Intel Bluetooth driver works fine again! I installed it again and the same issue occured!

0 Kudos
TH_1
Beginner

Just registered to thank you for this post. After much previous hickups in making BT work on my Win7 Sony Vaio installation, it was broke this afternoon when I tried to use it. Services couldn't start. Was indeed caused by that MS update.

I bet it was planned by MS. It almost made me go "**** it, i'll install Win 10"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Desertsweeper,

We are receiving confirmation from other users that removing KB3161608 the driver installation works without errors. Could you please be so kind and test this solution and let ua know as soon as you can?

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
WWayn1
New Contributor I

Sorry for my late reply, have been unable to respond earlier. Yes after I uninstalled KB3161608 the problem ceased and I was also then able to install the latest version of the BT Driver from Lenovo Update. The puzzling thing is that I then tried to re-install the same KB and the problem did not re-appear...remember that my units are all fresh builds which may make a difference. I suspect that it is the order of installation that makes the difference in my case.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Desertsweeper and tomcat_

Thanks for confirming that the issue has been resolved when you uninstalled the KB. We will inform Microsoft* about it. Should you need our assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
MGole1
Beginner

Problem is my Sony Vaio doesn't get any support more and I had some bad expierence when I updated the driver from not of their official support site...so I have not the possibility to test with a newer driver if KB3161608 works right with an updated driver.

Glad I am still helped you.

0 Kudos
SB16
Beginner

The issue is not completely resolved though. I don't require the optional KB3161608, but there is something in it that breaks Intel Bluetooth, and that should be resolved before another required update breaks it for everyone.

I have reinstalled KB3161608, and my Bluetooth stack failed immediately (i.e. driver still works, but services don't - and I cannot use Bluetooth audio at all).

Here are relevant event log entries:

0 Kudos