1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 4:11 AM by PandaBanda

loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data

ruter999

Hello Guys,

I'm facing exactly the same problem on my Intel Edison as you can find Re: IOT analytics not displaying the chart. Unfortunately without answer. I can't find any follow up of the topic as well so… I would like to ask “ I have sent about temperature values to the IOT cloud. but when i try to display chart it says "NO data to show".

Really have no idea where the problem is. I checked in two browsers: Chrome and Safari. both of them without data.  Pictures in attachment. Any ideas how to solve this issue ?

Regards,

1.png2.png3.png

• 1. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

Have you started the agent with systemctl start iotkit-agent? Are you using the latest iotkit-agent version, you can check Section 3 of https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-agent to upgrade.

-Sergio

• 2. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
            Intel Corporation

Do you still need assistance with this thread, do you still see the no data to show error?

-Sergio

• 3. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
              ruter999

Dear Sergio,

Sorry for so late answer. Im in Ethiopia and unfortunately without internet access in last days.

I done “systemctl start iotkit-agent”. Unlucky that didn’t give any effect. Then I try to upgrade iotkit-agent from github.com

When I tried to go through the section 3 I got list of errors (included in attachment) and it looked like, during process all iotkit-agent datas which was preinstalled on my Edison were removed.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 16.22.36.png

So I decided to go through the instruction in step number 2 https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-agent and make attempt to install new iotkit-agent.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 16.42.11.png

I get series of warning amongst the installation however the process was successful. I can right now communicate with dashboard and make my dat visualisation (cheers !) nevertheless there is a few inconvenience which I still facing:

• first of all to communicate with iotkit-agent i need to “cd” to the directory where I installed iotkit - in my case -> cd ./iotkit-admin
              • secondly, to launch any command I need to add ./ and the trailing .js (ex. “./iotkit-agent.js” test in case of “iotkit-agent test”)
              • and last but not least, I can send the data to dashboard manually, using “./iotkit-agent.js observation <comp_name>  <value>” but when I try to collect data from my sensor using arduino… the iotkit is still not working

I am adding my example software below. I connected parallely LCD screen to check the communication and LCD properly read and print data from sensor.

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 01.16.19.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 01.17.32.png

Of course now is the problem with software. I suspect that maybe under this library he somehow don't recognize the IoTkit-admin in to the new path. Unfortunately, I am completely beginner user and I can base only on this dedicated libraries attached to Arduino. Right now I don’t even know where look for the solution. Maybe I should add another question to the forum.

Best regards,

• 4. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                Intel Corporation

Hi,

I believe the first two of the three inconveniences you experience are considered normal behavior of the iotkit-agent. In fact the same command you’re using is described in section 2.1 of the guide https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-agent . As for the third note, have you already started the agent with ./start-agent.sh?

In the guide there’s also a section that mentions “We have an Arduino library which can send this message to the agent, and you can write your own in other languages.” The Arduino library is https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-samples/tree/master/arduino .
                Have you already seen this link?

-Sergio

• 5. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                  ruter999

Dear Sergio,

First of all… it is working !

I agree totally that first two obstacles are normal after new installation and it is not a problem. I maintained about it because I was afraid that somehow the new path may harm the communication and program operation with Arduino.

Anyway I gave up this first two issues and focus on third following your advise:

• I connected the hardware (measurement sensor and LCD screen) to my Arduino Edison to measure temperature and humidity (this was the main idea of the project)
                  • Then I connected Arduino to the laptop - power and transfer USB sockets.
                  • I log in to my cloud dashboard by the browser
                  • By the terminal I connected to Arduino and then switched path to cd ./iotkit-agent
                  • I started iotkit ./start-agent.sh
                  • I opened Arduino 1.6.9 software for programming
                  • then I have compiled and uploaded software to Arduino Edison (the same software as in my previous post above)
                  • and …. nothing happen. The LCD screen was working, printing the humidity and temp data in every 10 seconds as I assumed in the software but the cloud didn’t received any data.
                  • then I decided to proceeded to your second advise and try example program for iotkit library. I done it before but anyway I had no other idea and nothing to lose
                  • however I didn’t turn off my Arduino so the previously software still worked in background (showing humidity and temp on LCD but without uploading to the cloud)
                  • I opened iotKitMetricsExample form the library
                  • according to the instruction, before you will upload the software you should register sensor used in program
                  • I moved to the console and tried register first one by typing “./iotkit-admin.js register uptime temperature.v1.0”
                  • How big was my surprise, when after metadata updated I received continues information that Edison decided to start submitting the data to the dashboard which I demand from him in previous program. The print screen below:

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 21.04.35.png

Cheers ! however it is quite strange.

After this attempt I tried to launch my program several times in different configuration. That what I observed:

• when I launch the program, Edison starts sending data only when I try to force him to communicate with the cloud. Usually when I am using command “./iotkit-admin.js register <any name> <any catalog.id>” (not mater what will be result of the operation) or sometimes when I just type “./iotkit-admin.js test” … if the program is uploaded and working in the background, Edison will start sending the data automatically and immediately after he finish requested command.
                  • There is one exception. Once in several attempts it is not working at all. Then you need to do hard rest and try agin.
                  • ./start-agent.sh - It does not influence the operation of the program. You can type it or not.

Where is my god now ? it could be the problem with the software ? or maybe my Ethiopian internet connection it is unstable ?

More printscreen's :

1. Program does not want to launch at all:

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 22.16.50.png

2. The same program and configuration after hard reset. It is start working automatically after "register" command, even if he get metadata error:

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 22.31.48.png

• 6. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                    Intel Corporation

You say that once in several attempts it’s not working. Do you see any relation between the times it doesn’t and the changes in testing environment, are any of the testing variables altered? Is there any way you can confirm that this is caused by an unstable internet connection?

-Sergio

• 7. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                      Intel Corporation

Do you still need help with this thread, were you able to figure out why you sometimes need to do a hard reset to make it work?

-Sergio

• 8. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                        ruter999

Dear Sergio,

I didn't have occasion to play with my Edioson since that time ... however after first attempt (the same set up as 2 weeks ago) I get ERROR... meh... it is not looking  optimistic for me :]  I will check today one more time all solution, step by step, reinstall iotkit and update you.

Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 15.00.42.png

• 9. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                          ruter999

Dear Sergio,

Oooook. It is working now perfectly. I done the following:

1. Removed all catalog "iotkit-agent" form my main path on the Edison [rm -r catalog]

2. Removed all data about my device from the website dashboard [ www.dashboard.us.enableiot.com ]

3. Done step by step whole paragraph 2 installation [ 2. Installing using npm - https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-agent   - important: I done all steps including device name and device id change from default  to "MyDeviceName" and "12103434ab35" and  I typed: ./start-agent.sh command.]

4. Switch to the dashboard website: Device -> Add new device

5. Fill the gabs -> ID, Getaway (if you not change it should be the same as ID), MyDeviceName and then click save.

4. Come back to the terminal:

4.1 cd ./iotkit-agent - move to the iotkit agent path

4.2 ./iotkit-admin.js activate <activation_code> <- you can get activation code from Dashboard > Account > Activation code > refresh > show > copy/past   - activate my device   

4.2 ./iotkit-admin register <comp_name> <catalogid> - register my sensors

5. Download IoT-kit library from "https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-samples"

6. Open Arduino Software and go to: Sketch -> Include library -> Add zip. library -> add zip. file library from arduino folder

7. Restart Arduino Software (close and open)

8. Come back to the terminal and type: reboot or hard reset

9. Log in to Intel Edison:

9.1 cd ./iotkit-agent

9.2 systemctl start iotkit-agent

9.3 ./start-agent.sh

10. Upload software from Arduino to the Intel Edison

11. Enjoy my live data stream in the dashboard chart section

Maybe it is to much in details and for sure I do not need to do all of this steps but that is the final solution what I done, and only one which work for me without any obstacles. Now I don't get ant information in the terminal as before. Everything is working in background and all data I can observe in my dashboard. Thank you very much indeed for your support and assist .

I am adding the software which I use in the program. It is simply and it is working so maybe will be useful for somebody in the future. Keep in mind that you need HDC sensor for this program.

Software: 

#include <Wire.h> /* be sure that you install all of following libraries */

#include <Adafruit_HDC1000.h> /* this software use Adafruit_HDC1000 sensor for humidity and temperature measurement. Be sure that you have the sensor */

#include <Ethernet.h>

#include <IoTkit.h>

#include <aJSON.h>

Adafruit_HDC1000 hdc;

IoTkit iotkit;

void setup () {

Serial.begin(9600);

iotkit.begin();

if (!hdc.begin(0x43)){   /* important: your sensor can work on different adress, clear the data "0x43" and leave the bracket empty or try 0x41, 0x42, 0x44 */

Serial.println("cant find hdc");

while (1);

}

}

void loop (){

iotkit.send("temp", hdc.readTemperature());

iotkit.send("humidity", hdc.readHumidity());

sleep(10);

}

Best regards,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                            Intel Corporation

Thank you for posting these steps, they’ll surely be helpful to other members of the community. I’m glad you were able to resolve this issue. If you ever encounter any issues with your Edison Platform don’t hesitate to ask, we’d be happy to help.

-Sergio

• 11. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                              Zeenat

Hi

I am facing similar problem. I have iotkit-admin -V of 1.7.0.

I have followed all the steps of storing data in cloud. The procedure was very much successful but suddenly, after burning the code in Intel Edison, the number of observations have increased but no data is showing in graphs with the message " no data selected". Kindly tell why this is happening

• 12. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                                Intel Corporation

Specifically, which steps have you followed, the ones posted by @ruter999 or some other guide?

-Sergio

• 13. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                                  Chris9050

I'm having the exact same issue.  Dashboard updates the number of observations, but when try to view the data in My Charts it says "No data to show".  I've tried everything from deleting the device, following the above steps, and even updated the iotkit-agent to 1.8.2.  The /tmp/agent.log shows no errors:

{"n":"H13A20040B5A8A6","v":"26.23","on":1469731800000,"level":"info","message":"Submitting: ","timestamp":"2016-07-28T18:50:02.884Z"}

{"response":"none detail","status":0,"level":"info","message":"Response received: ","timestamp":"2016-07-28T18:50:03.570Z"}

Why is it so difficult to figure out what the issue is.  How do you see the raw data to determine the issue?

Thank You

• 14. Re: loT Analytics display chart doesn't show the data
                                    Intel Corporation

First, make sure you have completed the requirements to connect to the IoT Analytics dashboard described here https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-iot-platforms-getting-started-cloud-analytics and have followed the “Setting up your IoT Analytics account” section. Now, follow the steps posted by ruter999 reply above. Make sure to flash your board with the latest image before you add the device to the dashboard.
                                    Is this the complete message you got from /tmp/agent.log? You can also use tail -f /tmp/agent.log to see the activity on the agent.
                                    -Sergio

1 2 Previous Next