Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Intel Xeon E5 2696 v4

JCapo2
Beginner

Intel Xeon E5 2696 v4 + Asus X99-E WS/USB3.1 + Windows 10 (64bit).

I have a un-configured device under the Windows 10 (x64) device manager: "ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_3510" (ACPI\INT3510).

We all know that this is related to the Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 but I cannot find a suitable driver/application for it.

I have tried the Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 driver for the Core i7-6950X but it doesn't function. Not only the application that is bundled in the package doesn't function but also the driver is installed with an exclamation mark.

Now I would ask: it's possible that Intel release a CPU and doesn't provide the correct driver/software to configure it under Windows 10 (64bit)?

I hope to receive an answer ASAP: thanks in advance for your attention.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
KKim34
Beginner

i had the same issue with a i7-6800k. Go to this url to get the driver. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25994/Intel-Turbo-Boost-Max-Technology-3-0 Download Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Were you able to get the driver off the link posted by qman_au?

Allan.
0 Kudos
JCapo2
Beginner

to "Allan" and "qman_au"...

Probably I've not explained well the problem (but I doubt):

I'm aware of the existence of the "Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0" driver/application but it simply doesn't work with the Intel Xeon E5 2696 v4 (and it doesn't have to work with this CPU, in fact if you read the info in the download page you have posted, the only supported CPU is the Intel Core i7 68xx/69xx).

I repeat the (real) problem is that I have a un-configured device under the Windows 10 (x64) device manager: "ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_3510" (ACPI\INT3510)".

I found totally unacceptable that Intel doesn't provide a "driver" to address this. Keep in mind that (at least for me) a Server/Workstation with an exclamation mark in the Windows device manager cannot be resold to third parties.

I hope that some Intel technical representatives, that read this forum, could escalate this problem to the drivers' developers team - a beta driver, as a quick fix, would be very appreciated.

P.S.: the first thing I've done (on May 2016) before asking support to Intel (in this forum) is to install the "Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0" driver/application that is available on the intel website but without success, in fact the driver/application isn't suitable for the Intel Xeon E5 2696 v4. If I install the "Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0" driver/application the un-configured device (in the Windows device manager) change the name form "unknown device" to "intel CPU Turbo..." but the exclamation mark remain and also the companion application (for the configuration of the turbo states) doesn't start.

0 Kudos
KKim34
Beginner

Hi, I realise that the "Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0" application may not run with your setup or say it is not for your cpu. But if you download the package and take the raw drivers, I'm sure that if you update drivers for the missing item in device manager "ACPI\INT3510" and use the downloaded drivers it will work. The IntelNit.inf is expecting a device named ACPI\INT3510.

0 Kudos
JCapo2
Beginner

Please "qman_au" don't answer anymore (to this thread) if you don't read, because doing this you damage my legit request to the Intel officials. You have an Intel Core i7-6800k, so why are you answering something that you cannot test (or validate)?

If you read what I have written, instead of answering, you will see the non-sense of what you're posting:

"

P.S.: the first thing I've done (on May 2016) before asking support to Intel (in this forum) is to install the "Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0" driver/application that is available on the intel website but without success, in fact the driver/application isn't suitable for the Intel Xeon E5 2696 v4. If I install the "Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0" driver/application the un-configured device (in the Windows device manager) change the name form "unknown device" to "intel CPU Turbo..." but the exclamation mark remain and also the companion application (for the configuration of the turbo states) doesn't start.

"

So I hope you finally understand that if I install the driver you posted (and I have done this thing the first day I build the workstation, in May 2016, and checked subsequently if there's a new version available), the "ACPI\INT3510" get a proper (device) name in the Windows device manager, but the exclamation mark remain because the driver couldn't start properly, in fact it's not suitable for the Intel Xeon E5 2696 v4, but it's good for your CPU.

0 Kudos
UProg
Beginner

Intel Xeon E5 1650v4 + Asus x99-M WS

Had the same problem with the "ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_3510" in Dev Manager.

I installed the latest version of the TBM software, and its now ok.

0 Kudos
JCapo2
Beginner

From what I have acknowledged (having discussions in various hardware forums and mobo manufacturers sites) till 10 physical cores (i7 6950X has 10 cores) the drivers get recognized. The HCC (HighCoreCounts) version of the Broadwell-E dies instead aren't supported by this version Intel TBM 3.0 drivers... I'm still waiting an official answer by Intel... Are you there Intel reps?

0 Kudos
UProg
Beginner

Didn't realize it was related to core count. One thing about intel, their hardware is often ahead of their software drivers, especially on linux, had to wait many months for a working linux ethernet driver for 10GBE on broadwell platform, but they did eventually release it, im sure they are working on this as well but it might take some time. It would be a huge fail if there was no functioning driver on win10 for this feature with hcc cpu

0 Kudos
JCapo2
Beginner

I'm still waiting an official answer by Intel... Are you there Intel reps?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are currently running a tray processor designed for Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). As per processor specifications I see the version of the turbo boost is 2.0, not 3.0.

Only some Intel® processors are supporting Turbo boost 3.0 and they are:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-6950X Processor Extreme Edition
  • Intel® Core™ i7-6800K, i7-6850K, i7-6900K Processors
Allan.

0 Kudos
JCapo2
Beginner

To the attention of Mr. Allan:

Ok, and the "driver" for the "ACPI\INT3510" in the Windows device manager is available or not? Or are you just saying that because I own an OEM CPU (corresponding to an Intel Xeon E5 2699 v4 apart a slightly higher TDP 150W vs. 145W ) you won't give me any support?

And let's say I'll buy an Intel Xeon E5 2699 v4 (indeed I could swap the CPU) the "driver" for the "ACPI\INT3510" is available or not? And if it's available could you supply the link to the Intel download section where the driver is located?

Thanks in advance for your attention and best regards.

P.S.: I find your answer a little misleading, I'm only trying to configure one of the best CPU Intel has ever built (today it's for sure the Intel flagship CPU) and I think to deserve a little more support and gratitude (for having bought it) from the producer of this amazing product. If Intel doesn't have a driver available to fix this 'little' problem (I mean it's only an aesthetically problem at the end of the day) it has to simply declare it publicly and not try to cover it with subterfuges. But I could be wrong and Intel has a perfect driver (with the correct behavior in the Windows device manager) for the Intel Xeon E5 2699 v4: I'm very curious to see where is located in the (Intel) download center.

0 Kudos
UProg
Beginner

INTEL:

If the version of turbo boost is 2.0 on that part, why does it expose to the OS that it needs a driver, and why does installing the software only fix some of the Xeon CPUs, e.g. my 1650 v4 (which aren't on your supported list either)?

This needs more clarification. Could you please send us a link to the full spec sheet describing that the v4 xeons are not turbo 3.0 capable?

0 Kudos
JCapo2
Beginner

Thanks "Dr_b_" for your clarification request.

It's more than a month (my first post is dated: Jun 19, 2016 12:46 PM) that I ask for a driver (fix) for the situation of the exposed "ACPI\INT3510" of my Xeon E5 2696 v4 (my CPU is OEM, so I'm a bad customer) in the Windows device manager, and you have seen the official response, 40 days later. I'm pretty sure (but I cannot verify) that the Intel Xeon E5 2699 v4 has the same problem in the Windows device manager (in fact they are the same CPU apart the little difference in TDP: ~5Watt).

And I want to point out that my CPU is a retail stepping, not an ES, and it works flawlessly with an AVX minimum frequency (with all 22 physical + 22 logical cores taxed to the max) of ~2690MHz. This to avoid Intel stating that the CPU is an Engineering Sample (ES) with unpredictable behavior.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

JohnnyCapo You posted a picture of the Device Manager with an error about Turbo boost 3.0, as I stated this is not supported by your processor features. You tried to install a driver that is not going to work for your computer.

And about the Turbo boost 2.0 driver, this is not available at Intel download center because the driver is part of the operating system. There is no download for Turbo boost 2.0 driver.

See an official information about Intel® Turbo Boost 3.0

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005641.html Frequently Asked Questions about Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Only few E5-1600 V4 series support Turbo boost 3.0.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JCapo2
Beginner

I have also an Intel Xeon 2696 v3 (18 physical + 18 logical), that is Turbo Boost 2.0 (Intel ARK), and on the same environment, Asus X99-E WS/USB3.1 + Windows 10 (64bit), there's no exposed "ACPI\INT3510" (or similar device iD) with an exclamation mark in the Windows device manager.

So to make "all common people" understand the problem is with the Intel Xeon E5 2696 v4 (and probably other HCC v4 dies) when used in the Windows 10 (64bit) environment because Microsoft has not (at least for now) made the Turbo Boost 2.0 capable CPU recognized correctly by the OS.

This is what you mean? Please let me know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

It might be some driver update you need to get with the latest Windows® patch because your Intel® processor does not support turbo boost 3.0, nor the Intel web site provides a driver for your processor.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JCapo2
Beginner

With the latest Windows 10 (b14393) - Anniversary, the problem is gone. Microsoft for sure fixed the problem, strange that no one at Intel acknowledged the problem (as if I'm the only person with an Intel Xeon E5 v4 HCC and Windows 10 O.S.).

Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand, thank you for sharing this information. I am glad this is fixed.

Allan.
0 Kudos
RGhor
Novice

No it is not fixed, i'm having problem with the drivers:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos