4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 10:46 PM by pramod.kakde11

Grove Sensor Startker Kit Plus for Intel Edison Mini Breakout Board

pramod.kakde11

Dear All,

As a beginner, I am trying to collating all things for Intel Edison Mini BreakOut board.

Just wanted to know whether I can use Grove Sensor Starter Kit Plus for "Edison - Mini Breakout Board".

I believe, It (Grove Sensor starter kit) is being used for Edison- Arduino Board

but not sure whether it can be used for Mini Breakout Board. Please suggest.

Thanks,

Pramod

• 1. Re: Grove Sensor Startker Kit Plus for Intel Edison Mini Breakout Board
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi pramod.kakde11,

This kit is intended to be used with the Arduino expansion board. Actually, I'm not aware of any similar kit that is intended to be used with the Mini-breakout board. If what you want to do is start prototyping with sensors I recommend you to use the Arduino expansion board since it already has the hardware interface required for these purposes, and it's compatible with the Arduino UNO footprint too.

Regards,
          -Diego

• 2. Re: Grove Sensor Startker Kit Plus for Intel Edison Mini Breakout Board
            pramod.kakde11

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your response !!!

Yes, you are right. The kit is intended to be used with the Arduino Expansion Board.

I have already bought Intel Edison with Mini Breakout board. I can't see any example/sample project for mini-breakout board on Intel XDK IoT Edition development environment. I am wondering why there is not a sample project for mini breakout board.

I can have only two options for me

1. Map pins of mini break board with that of arduino board and run sample projects of Arduino board.

2.or Buy Arduino expansion board.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Pramod

• 3. Re: Grove Sensor Startker Kit Plus for Intel Edison Mini Breakout Board
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello pramod.kakde11,

There aren't specific examples for the Mini-breakout board, but that doesn't mean you cannot use the examples available with it. The main difference between the Mini-breakout board and the Arduino expansion board is at hardware level. You can, for example, upload the blink example code that is intended to blink the on-board LED on the Arduino expansion board. If you upload it using the Mini-breakout board, the blink code will work however, you have to identify which GPIO is the one that is used and you will have to add additional circuitry to attach a LED. The following thread is an example of what I just explained: https://communities.intel.com/message/264386#264386

The idea of the Mini-breakout board is to allow the user to access the Edison's IO directly and attach them to the external devices the user wants to use, such as sensors, LEDs, etc. This means that the user has to make sure the proper circuitry is used to interface the Edison with the devices.

Take a look at the following site, it has a GPIO mapping table for the MRAA library which is used in many examples in the XDK: https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa/blob/master/docs/edison.md. I believe you will find it helpful.

If you don't want to spend time with the hardware part, you could get an Arduino expansion board. It will allow you to go directly to the software part, and to attach Arduino shields directly on it, for example the Grove kit. 

So using one expansion board or the other depends on what you want to do.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,
              -Diego

• 4. Re: Grove Sensor Startker Kit Plus for Intel Edison Mini Breakout Board
                pramod.kakde11

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your kind information !!!

Now, I have got all necessary information for starting and exploring the kit.

Regards,

Pramod