10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 2:24 PM by Intel Corporation

Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?

tinynja98

Hello, i was wondering what is the purpose of the second bios config jumper on my motherboard. Beside it, there is written "bios config", "OC DEBUG", and a little table like this:

J7LBMODE

1-2

Normal
      2-3Config
      No jmpRCVRY

This 3-pin block does not have any jumper on it, nor do i see any in google pictures of my motherboard. There is indeed a jumper on the other one, the one at the complete bottom of the motherboard and it is set to pins 1-2. The board came with only 1 jumper setup like i described. I would like to know what the second bios config jumper does.

• 1. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
          Al Hill

Please review section 2.3 on page 53 of the technical specification:  http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18128/eng/DX58SO_TechProdSpec.pdf

Regarding other jumpers, review section 1.1.2 on page 11.

Doc

• 2. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Amine:

On the link provided by Al Hill, you will be able to verify all the information in regard to the jumper and what it does.

Thank you very much Al Hill for providing that information.

Alberto

• 3. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
              tinynja98

Hello Al Hill,

Thanks for the link you provided me. The jumper that is mentioned on page 53 of the manual is actually the jumper i was refering as the "first bios config jumper". This jumper is actually the one in the bottom, like in the manual, and pins 1-2 were connected from the factory. However, as far as i know, the owner's manual does not talk about the "second bios config jumper" i asked this question for. This jumper is not even in the section 1.1.2 on page 11. On my motherbard, the second jumper is located right under the PCIe x16 labeled "D" in the section 1.1.2 on page 11. Here's a picture of the the board:

board.jpg

What is the purpose of the Bios Config Jumper 2?

• 4. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
                Al Hill

I do not know what it is, or if it is a 2nd bios jumper.  I would not mess with it until one of the Intel support staff can confirm its purpose.

Doc

• 5. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

The silk screen label "BIOS Config" goes with the table and together they describe the use of the BIOS Configuration jumper block. In order to put a table like this in the silk screening - and have it be readable - an area of the board must be found that has no components located within it. This is as close as they could get the table to the actual jumper block...

So, what exactly is this extra jumper block used for? Good question! I was unable to find any specific documentation regarding it. It is not mentioned in the TPS or TPS Update documents at all. What I say hereafter is pure conjecture on my part. Without some sort of verification, I do not recommend that you touch this jumper block. If you do, you are doing so at your own risk...

• From the "OC Debug" label, I would infer that this is to support the debug of overclocking configurations.
                  • From a reference for the older D975XBX (Bad Axe) board, which had a similarly-labelled jumper block, it would seem that placing a jumper on pins 2-3 will change the value of a Chipset GPIO. When the BIOS reads this GPIO's state, it will enable additional overclocking settings.

Again, this is pure conjecture on my part. If you touch it, you do so at your own risk.

I have a query in to some former members of the board development team to see if they remember anything about it. I will let you know if they are able to provide me with anything concrete. Remember, the DX58SO (Smackover) board was launched in 2008; memories for that far back will be vague...

...S

• 6. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Amine:

I just wanted to let you know that even though I did a research in regard to this second BIOS jumper, there is no information about it in our data base.

Based on that, we appreciate the information provided by N. Scott Pearson, and at this point, it will be better to wait for the response from the board development team to get the most accurate information about this.

Alberto

• 7. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
                      N.Scott.Pearson

First group of engineers I asked do not remember this jumper block even existing. I am expanding the list of folks I am asking about this (which is stressing my knowledge of who was involved way back then)...

• 8. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
                        Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much N. Scott Pearson for letting us know that you are doing a research on this case.

We really appreciate your feedback.

Alberto

• 9. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
                          N.Scott.Pearson

I finally talked to one of the H/W design engineers and had him look at the schematics for the board. He says that components necessary to complete the circuit are marked as not-stuffed -- which means that the feature was not implemented. Bottom line, you can ignore this jumper block.

...S

• 10. Re: Two "BIOS CONFIG" jumpers in DX58SO?
                            Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much for your response N. Scott Pearson, that information is very useful for us.

Alberto