10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 7:53 AM by FGT

Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2

michagal

Hello,

I am trying to upload a blink LED sketch onto Galileo gen2 board. Compilation passes, but uploading takes forever without any activity on the board.

I am using Arduino 1.6.9 on Win7. Arduino recognizes Galileo gen 2 board and correct COM port. I tried with and without Yocto SD. Intel Galileo  getting started web page is not much help - many links are broken.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
          FGT

Hi michagal,

Seems to be that you are not using the last Arduino IDE and did not upgrade the firmware... There are several broken links at Intel Galileo web pages, indeed, but I've not had (many) problems to get to the blinking LED (Galileo-Windows environment)... what page/s are you using?

The suggested one is at IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Get Started Guide | Intel® Software

Please let me/us know your step-by-step sequence up to the point at which there are problems (including broken links problems).

HTH,

Fernando.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
            michagal

Hello Fernando,

Thank you very much for your response.

I have the latest available firmware 1.0.4 and Arduino IDE 1.6.9. Actually I started with Arduino 1.6.5 downloaded from Intel site, but was unable to work with it. It uses Arduino15 located at Users/Roaming and security policy on my computer does not allow running programs from that location.Arduino 1.6.9 places Arduino15 at Users/Local, which is acceptable.

I work as instructed by Galileo gen 2 Getting Started guide , installed all the drivers and SW, but when I get to the step 5 Try It Out, the upload fails. Compilation seems to be proceeding normally, but if I open Serial Monitor I see no activity and no reply manually entered commands. Do you know if I am supposed to see activity on Serial Monitor during upload?
            I read on-line that the connection to the board should be made by a "Virtual port". I do not see virtual ports in my PC, only the Ports->Galileo on COM25. I tried moving it to another high port, but this changed nothing.

I tried the System Studio IoT Edition for C/++, but cannot proceed beyond eclipse installation because of briken link:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/install-eclipse-ide-on-intel-iot-platforms#launch

I am very frustrated, as it was supposed to be simple procedure.

Thank you very much again for your help.

• 3. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
              FGT

michagal wrote:

Hello Fernando,

I work as instructed by Galileo gen 2 Getting Started guide , installed all the drivers and SW, but when I get to the step 5 Try It Out, the upload fails. Compilation seems to be proceeding normally, but if I open Serial Monitor I see no activity and no reply manually entered commands. Do you know if I am
              supposed to see activity on Serial Monitor during upload?

The Serial Monitor is not expected to show any activity up to the point in which the sketch is uploaded, running, and uses Serial. Furthermore, the Serial Monitor is in fact a sketch I/O facility, it is not expected for entering commands. Compilation is completely carried out in the PC-Arduino IDE, it is not even necessary the Intel Galileo connected to compile sketches.

michagal wrote:

I work as instructed by Galileo gen 2 Getting Started guide , installed all the drivers and SW, but when I get to the step 5 Try It Out, the upload fails. Compilation seems to be proceeding normally, but if I open Serial Monitor I see no activity and no reply manually entered commands. Do you know if I am supposed to see activity on Serial Monitor during upload?
              I read on-line that the connection to the board should be made by a "Virtual port". I do not see virtual ports in my PC, only the Ports->Galileo on COM25. I tried moving it to another high port, but this changed nothing.

I'm not completely sure about what you mean here... just to confirm: before plugging in the USB connected to the Galileo, the Device Manager should look like

And after, the corresponding COM & LPT should appear, like

If this is what you mean by

I read on-line that the connection to the board should be made by a "Virtual port". I do not see virtual ports in my PC, only the Ports->Galileo on COM25.

then it is fine, no need to move anything, since the appeareance of the port also indicates the drivers are fine so far.

I have the latest available firmware 1.0.4 and Arduino IDE 1.6.9.

I work as instructed by Galileo gen 2 Getting Started guide , installed all the drivers and SW, but when I get to the step 5 Try It Out, the upload fails.

I've seen many reports similar to this one, and the most usual cause is in fact that the firmware has not been upgraded in the Intel Galileo. Please run

firmware-updater-1.0.4.exe

capture the screen and reply back. Just in case, upgrade the Intel Gaileo firmware again, to be sure this is not the issue you are having. I've seen reports of problems when using the installer, but let's go step-by-step, please send the screen of the firmware-updater-1.0.4.exe and we'll go on starting at that point.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
                michagal

Hello Fernando,

Thank you for your answer.

I updated the firmware again to the 1.0.4 version. I am working without any micro-SD card.

My Device Manager looks like this:

Still, Arduino is stuck in Uploading phase forever.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
                  FGT

Hi michagal,

It seems you have everything working fine... except the sketch load!

Just in case, I send the sequence I follow, but rignt not I think I'm not able to figure out what the problem would be...

Set card and port as in:

Compiling should be successful, as in

Upload should be successful and the LED should start to blink, i.e.:

and the LED is blinking...

Please show the sequence you get for these steps.

Fernando.

• 6. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
                    FGT

Hi michagal,

I'm curious, were you able to solve the problem? (and I would know what the problem was, of course...)

Fernando.

• 7. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
                      michagal

Hello Fernando,

Thank you very much for your help and your interest.

I have not been able to solve the issue yet, but I made some progress. The blink sketch gets uploaded well on my personal laptop. It seems our corporate security is very well protected against productivity. I am going to sit down with IT guy to figure what prevented upload.

My previous problem was inability to compile because Intel Arduino 1.6.5 needs to run files from Users/Roaming, which triggers antivirus block. Version 1.6.9 runs files from Users/Local directory, which is acceptable.

Similar issues occurred for Intel XDK, which needs Bonjour Print Service to discover the board, which is also located at a restricted directory.

Thank you again for your support. After the session with IT guy I will let you know if anything went right for a change.

Thanks again.

michagal.

• 8. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
                        FGT

michagal wrote:

Hello Fernando,

I have not been able to solve the issue yet, but I made some progress. The blink sketch gets uploaded well on my personal laptop. It seems our corporate security is very well protected against productivity.

: )

I've been there... too many times...

(and I'll use your statement "It seems our corporate security is very well protected against productivity" in the future...)

michagal wrote:

Hello Fernando,

I have not been able to solve the issue yet, but I made some progress. The blink sketch gets uploaded well on my personal laptop. It seems our corporate security is very well protected against productivity. I am going to sit down with IT guy to figure what prevented upload.

My previous problem was inability to compile because Intel Arduino 1.6.5 needs to run files from Users/Roaming, which triggers antivirus block. Version 1.6.9 runs files from Users/Local directory, which is acceptable.

I forgot earlier to comment I usually download the so called "non admin" or "non root" install, which in the case of Arduino is "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" at Arduino - Software ", you just unzip de file and you have all you need. I think other products are not as versatile as this one... I suggest you solve the Arduino IDE  first, just to get to something functional at all and analyze feasibility for other products/environments.

BR,

Fernando.

• 9. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
                          michagal

Hello Fernando,

I had some progress with the help of our InfoSec guys. It appears that we have Minerva antivirus that was silently blocking upload. When I stopped that service the upload works OK, so I am going on.

Thank you very much for your support! You have been very helpful and I enjoyed our discussion.

Thanks.

Michagal.

• 10. Re: Arduino Uploading takes forever on Galileo gen 2
                            FGT

Hi Michagal,

You are welcome.

Very good you have the Gailielo "Up&Running" now.

Thanks for letting me know about the anti-virus "behavior" on this, I've neve heard about any thing like that before.

Fernando.