4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 12:04 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC 6i3SYK UEFI Bootable USB Device Not Detected

CBC.PAULH

I have 3 subject units and none of them can detect the USB thumb drive with Windows 10 ISO file created from Microsoft Media Creation Tool. So I tried several method with no luck... then some how I was able to upgrade the BIOS from 042 to 044 with the USB on one of the unit, and it seems to work and I can install Windows 10... So I decided that I would upgrade the other 2 units. However, it only worked for the first unit, but couldn't find the USB on the 2 other units... I went back to the first unit tried to see if it would see the USB drive... and interestingly it will only see the drive in Windows 10, but it wouldn't show up in the BIOS... any ideas?

• 1. Re: NUC 6i3SYK UEFI Bootable USB Device Not Detected
          CBC.PAULH

FYI, I am recreating the Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft Media Creation Tool to see if that is the issue... also, do you suspect it is the USB drive? I have other Intel NUC 5i3RYK, and detect the USB drive fine under BIOS boot...

• 2. Re: NUC 6i3SYK UEFI Bootable USB Device Not Detected
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Phillip:

This type of problem could be related to the USB device itself.

It is always recommended to do a BIOS update to the latest version 0044, as you did, and if that worked in one of them it should work on the other two, that is why we think this could be related to the USB device.

Do you have the option to use a different USB bootable device?

The Microsoft Media Creation Tool is a good option to do the ISO image, but there are different web sites where you can do that, that will be a good thing to do for testing purposes, just to check if it works on those 2 NUCs.

You can try the following link to do that:

https://wintoflash.com/home/en/

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not
            be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services
            offered there.

Alberto

• 3. Re: NUC 6i3SYK UEFI Bootable USB Device Not Detected
              CBC.PAULH

Hi Alberto,

Appreciate the reply. At that moment, I wasn't able to get another USB thumb drive so I just kept on playing around. I don't know if the following did the trick, but I seem to had some success... I went into BIOS and went under BOOT... there is a shell UEFI that I tried switching on so that when restarting it went into command prompt mode... then I turned it off... a couple restarts later... the NUC detects the USB drive, and I was able to install Windows 10 ISO created from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool....

I guess I lucked out this time.... I will likely buy more NUC in the near future... at that time, I will see if it happens again... and maybe try your method if it happen.... just fyi... the USB is a Patriot 32GB....

Thank you,

Phillip

• 4. Re: NUC 6i3SYK UEFI Bootable USB Device Not Detected
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Phillip:

Perfect, thank you very much for that information, those steps are always useful for us in case we get a similar situation.

It is great to hear that the NUC is working fine now and you were able to install Windows® 10 using the USB bootable device.

Alberto