Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Screen with black stripe and wrong resolution - Windows 10 - HP G62 PC

AAndr41
Beginner

Hello.

Attached the requested files for troubleshooting.

Thank you for your help!

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

When restarting or waking up the PC from Sleep or inactivity, the display changes resolution from 1366x768 60Hz(native) to 1280x800 58Hz and shows vertical black stripe on the left of the screen. I cannot change the resolution back to the native one(there are no higher resolutions available).

Sometimes when the screen attempts to turn on, what happens instead is that there is flickering, a black screen, and the screen turns on with windows displaying a notification that the "display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

Reinstalling the recommended driver (the Intel(R) HD Graphics provided by Windows 10) in Safe mode sometimes fixes the problem temporarily, but it will eventually come back.

Intel Driver Update Utility provides an update to the INF. files but the installation of the update fails. You can find the logs of the utility on the link provided.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

The problem occurs often with daily and normal use of the PC, by turning it on, restarting, putting it to sleep, etc...

Hardware (HW)

<td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5.4pt; border-right-width: 1pt; border-bo...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Whound:

Thank you for joining the Graphics community.

From your description I noticed that you have an http://ark.intel.com/products/49020/Intel-Core-i3-370M-Processor-3M-cache-2_40-GHz Intel® Core™ i3-370M Processor (3M cache, 2.40 GHz) Specifications this a first generation processor which does not support Windows® 10, and this could the main reason why you have this wrong resolution. I just want to check, did same behavior with previous operating system?

For further reference visit http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
AAndr41
Beginner

Hello,

Yes, previously I had Windows 7 64 bit, which came with the PC, and the problem occurred with the same symptoms and frequency.

A long time ago I had to replace the monitor from this notebook and for some time I thought that the cause may lay there (can't remember if the problem occurred before I replaced the Monitor), something to do with the cable that connects the LCD to the rest of the notebook, but I'm not so sure anymore - and I know Intel has nothing to do with it - because I know the monitor can work fine and display everything correctly and the pixels where the black stripe is located are working, the monitor is not just dead on that place... I don't know, it is strange.

One thing that may be worth knowing is that this state with the wrong resolution, screen placement and black stripe is stable, that means that no further display problems occur when the PC is like this and there are no driver error messages like: "display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

I've got a little bit used to the situation but I still think this is probably a driver problem as this driver is from 2012 and was hoping may something could be done.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I understand but the fact that your system does not support Windows® 10 makes it difficult to troubleshoot. At this stage the triggering issue can be anything and from our end there are no drivers available for Windows® 10, so my recommendation is to stick with the fully supported operating systems.

For further reference visit http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Whound:

I was wondering, were you able to get the black stripe out with the recommendations given?

Please let us know.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos