8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 8:30 PM by PaulaK

Create image using wic

PaulaK

Hi,

I'm using BSP to build my custom kernel and I was wondering how to proper use the provided wic tool to generate a .direct image.

The way I used was wic create directdisk -e image-full , the command ran with no errors, but the generated image didn't boot on Galileo Gen 2.

Thanks.

P.S. this tutorial IoT - Creating a Yocto image for the Intel® Galileo board using split layers | Intel® Software  of how to use wic, don't work either on BSP.

• 1. Re: Create image using wic
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

We want to try and replicate your case. Which BSP are you using and what commands have you followed so far?

-Sergio

• 2. Re: Create image using wic
            PaulaK

Hey Sergio,

I'm using BSP 1.2.1.1 on a Ubuntu 12.04 host (tried and failed when I ran ./setup.sh on a Debian 8 host).

I've followed the BSP guide... ./setup.sh then source ./oe-init-build-env and then bitbake image-full (didn't make any changes).

Since it built successfully, I tried to generate a .direct image using wic tool by running this command wic create directdisk -e image-full.

The output of such command was:

Checking basic build environment...

Done.

Creating image(s)...

Info: The new image(s) can be found here:

/var/tmp/wic/build/directdisk-201606160634-sda.direct

The following build artifacts were used to create the image(s):

ROOTFS_DIR:                   /home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/build/tmp/work/quark-poky-linux/image-full/1.0-r0/rootfs

BOOTIMG_DIR:                  /home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/build/tmp/sysroots/quark/usr/share

KERNEL_DIR:                   /home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/build/tmp/sysroots/quark/usr/src/kernel

NATIVE_SYSROOT:               /home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux

The image(s) were created using OE kickstart file:

/home/pksm/bsp/meta-clanton_v1.2.1.1/scripts/lib/image/canned-wks/directdisk.wks

I'd like to know how to proper generate an image with wic or other tool...similar to the images Intel provides, that are encapsulated on a single file (usually *.direct).

Thanks

• 3. Re: Create image using wic
              Intel Corporation

Thank you for posting the information we requested. We’ll run some tests and let you know our results soon.

-Sergio

• 4. Re: Create image using wic
                Intel Corporation

We have attempted without success to build the galileo image on Ubuntu 14.04. We received the following error after running bitbake:

configure: exit 1
                ERROR: oe_runconf failed
                WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
                ERROR: Function failed: do_configure

The tutorial you’re following is used to build split layers image for Galileo using the IoT image, that tutorial was not tested nor validated with Quark image 1.2.1.1; because of this, this combination is not supported.

-Sergio

• 5. Re: Create image using wic
                  PaulaK

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for testing it. 

Just one follow up question, when Intel releases a new image for download is usually a single file with *.direct extension. I was wondering which tool do you use to produce such image, I thought it was with wic tool, but I was wrong.

Regards,

Paula

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Create image using wic
                    FGT

PaulaK wrote:

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for testing it.

Just one follow up question, when Intel releases a new image for download is usually a single file with *.direct extension. I was wondering which tool do you use to produce such image, I thought it was with wic tool, but I was wrong.

Regards,

Paula

I think this is a good question for a new thread, actually. I would use "on that question/thread...

Fernando.

• 7. Re: Create image using wic
                      Intel Corporation

We use a python script called wic_monkey. You can check out the code at http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-iot-devkit/tree/scripts/wic_monkey .

-Sergio

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Create image using wic
                        PaulaK

Thanks Sergio, I'll try it and give a feedback later.