10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 1:32 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected

DrOnion

I have two NUC5i5RYH (I haven't been game to attempt on any more) that will no longer detect any UEFI bootable devices. The bootable device menu SHOWS legacy devices but won't allow them to boot unless I allow the system to continue booting of it's own accord; where it picks up the legacy device during its BIOS detection phase.

These machines both had no issues with UEFI bootable devices prior to about a third attempt to capture a Windows 7 wim using SCCM 2012's capture image task sequence. It worked fine the first couple of times, but on the third attempt the UEFI seems to have bricked.

So far I have:

• Changed to several different version of the BIOS including 130, 246, 354, 355 and 356. This made no difference
      • One of the two machines won't even allow me to do a BIOS recovery, the machine will reboot immediately after selecting BIOS recovery
      • The other will do a factory restore, but this makes no difference
      • I have completely removed the SSD (Samsung Evo) from the machine, no difference
      • Replaced the SSD with another fresh, working SSD. No difference.
      • I have tried a UEFI USB (Acronis) which won't boot, but legacy mode (Ubuntu, PartedMagic) from USB works as long as I let the BIOS run through its bootable detection phase

It sounds a lot like what this user was experiencing, however that was never resolved. Although I don't mind performing an RMA - I've lost confidence that I can rely on this machine for trying to capture a wim, which is problematic in the long term.

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Wayne:

Remember that Windows® 7 works as legacy, so, it will only detect the SSD on legacy bootable devices.

There are 2 different ways to install Windows ® 7, once is the normal installation, and the other one is with UEFI mode, to be able to see the SSD on UEFI bootable devices, you need to install Windows ® on UEFI mode, and the SSD should appear there.

This also could be related to the ISO image created with SCCM 2012, maybe that ISO does not work properly to do that.

Also remember to enable UEFI on the BIOS.

At the moment when you are installing Windows® you should be able to see UEFI Windows®; that is the one it should work.

If after that you still do not see the SSD on UEFI bootable devices could be because:

UEFI is not enabled

The copy of Windows is not genuine or it is 32-bit

The media used is not supported in regards to USB bootable drives

Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
            DrOnion

Thanks,

Unfortunately no UEFI device will boot. Even devices that I have used previously (ie: Acronis) will no longer boot. It shows up in the F10 boot menu, but it just loops straight back to the boot menu when I select it.

Windows 7 and other legacy devices boot fine - they just do not show up in the F10 boot menu. I simply have to let the machine pick a boot device based on the priorities set in BIOS.

UEFI is definitely enabled. It detects a bootable device, but will just loop back to the F10 menu.

Wayne

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
              Gize2

Is 'Secure Boot' enabled or disabled?

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
                Intel Corporation

Hello Wayne:

Correct, just to make sure about this situation, I just tried to duplicate the issue in our lab and actually the SSD using Windows® 7 will not appear on UFI bootable devices.

Let me apologize for any misinformation that I gave you before.

The UEFI version on Windows® 7 actually what it does is to allow you to use an SSD or hard drive with a size higher than 2TB.

Regardless if the secure boot is enable or not, when using Windows® 7 the SSD or hard drive will only appear on Legacy Bootable devices and you will be able to install Windows® 7 on the SSD as legacy.

Alberto

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
                  DrOnion

Yup, checked secure boot and it's disabled. I even enabled and wiped the secure boot as I'm grasping at straws and absolutely no difference.

It just will not boot UEFI devices.

• 6. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Wayne:

Correct, Windows® 7 will not recognize UEFI devices because it is Legacy, so, if you need to use UEFI devices, then the best thing to do will be to use Windows ® 8 or 10.

Alberto

• 7. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
                      DrOnion

Thanks Alberto - I don't think you understand. The UEFI boot is not working. Period. It doesn't matter what OS I use, it will not boot into a detected bootable UEFI (like Acronis or Windows 10).

Take Windows 7 out of the equation and the problem still exists!

• 8. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Wayne:

Thank you very much for that information; let me apologize if I misunderstood the information you gave me before.

The reason why the SSD is not showing on UEFI bootable devices, could be related to the way the SSD was formatted, in that case, you can always try to format it again during Windows® installation.

Requirements for installing Windows in UEFI mode:

UEFI must be enabled in the motherboard BIOS
                        A DVD/CD-ROM drive (bootable USB flash drives with the OS may work, but as official practice always use the original Windows media)
                        A genuine copy of Windows supporting UEFI in 64-bit (Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows® 7, Windows® 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server® 2008, Windows Server® 2008 R2, Windows Server® 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows® 10). 

Steps to install it:

Enter the board BIOS and enabled “UEFI Boot” and make sure “Legacy boot” is also enabled.
                        Save changes and exit bios
                        Booting up the board into the default “Boot manager” by pressing the “F10” key several times when the NUC is starting up to get that menu (OEM and 3rd party brand boards may use a different key)
                        From the drives listed pick the one with the DVD/CD-ROM description that starts with UEFI.
                        Follow the Windows set up and then select the HDD you want to use for the installation.

If you tried all that, and still the SSD is not showing under UEFI boot device or if you are not able to install Windows® in UEFI mode, then there might be a problem with the NUC itself, and it needs to be replaced, especially if it worked fine before.

To do that, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, online support or phone support, here is the link to do that, you just need to select the type of product you are interested in replacing and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Alberto

• 9. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
                          DrOnion

Thanks Alberto,

Looks like I'll have to contact support on this one. Very strange indeed!

• 10. Re: NUC5i5RYH no UEFI bootable devices detected
                            Intel Corporation

Hello Wayne:

Yes, that will be the best thing to do in this case, because it seems to be a hardware problem with the NUC itself.

Alberto