Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Alienware 15 r2 i7-6700HQ with HD 530 and GTX 970m

BPalm4
Beginner

I'm finding that a game (Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb) will not render correctly (lots of corruption) with any version of the Intel HD 530 graphics drivers including the latest beta (Driver Version: 15.40.23.64.4444).

I've also got a ticket open with NVIDIA as I cannot get the game to run with the GTX 970m discrete graphics card. It always runs with the Intel driver no matter what settings I use.

The only time I get the game to render correctly is by using the Alienware external graphics amplifier with an external graphics card on an external monitor only AND the laptop display off. If I open the laptop display, the game will use the Intel GPU.

Running Windows 10 pro

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know. Thanks!

BCPalmer

0 Kudos
23 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I think you should go to nvidia control panel and go to the 3d settings / game profile and select to use nvidia graphic adapter.

BPalm4
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Ronin! I've been working with NVIDIA on using their control panel but the game still uses the Intel gpu. Today NVIDIA support sent me the following link: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3733 Games based on DirectX 8 and older versions of DirectX will only run on integrated graphics in an Optimus laptop under W…

In this case, it looks like Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is based on Directx 8.1b.

It seems that NVIDIA would have to allow a way to force the GPU even on pre Directx 9 programs or Intel would have to fix the driver to work with the game.

Thanks again!

BCPalmer

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I guess you installed last dx9 then from here : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35 Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

0 Kudos
BPalm4
Beginner

Thanks Ronin,

I did try the installation but it indicates the a newer or equivalent version of DirectX is already installed.

BCPalmer

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Welll you made me curious, and guess what, the game works like a charm on my i7 6700k igpu ... But I am on windows 8.1

0 Kudos
BPalm4
Beginner

Hmmmm.... Well, after work I'll make some changes to the compatibility settings and see if that does anything. By default, GOG sets it to Windows XP SP2. I also have the actual CD version and update patch but was having the same issues. I saw the GOG version on sale for $3 and figured it was worth a try and to not have to deal with the CD's.

I'll get some screen captures of the corruption to post as well.

BCPalmer

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Don't use compatibility settings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same problem here.

Intel HD 4600 (Full Display Device) & NVIDIA GTX 970M (DAC type: Render-only Display Device)

How about this game Audition ?

The DirectX is ver 9.0c. Why my Alienware laptop still cannot switch to NVIDIA (to exceed over 60 fps) although the Display GPU Activity Icon show that the game Audition is running (that means NVIDIA can detect Audition , right ?)

MINIMUM:

• Processor: Pentium 4 @ 1.4GHz+
    • Memory: 512 MB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA FX5200 128MB
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Storage: 5 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible

RECOMMENDED:

• Processor: Dual core (Athlon II or Core 2 Duo) @ 2.0GHz+
      • Memory: 1 GB RAM
      • Graphics: Any PCI or PCI-E discrete card
      • DirectX: Version 9.0c
      • Storage: 5 GB available space
      • Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Is there any way to solve this problem ?

0 Kudos
      BPalm4
      Beginner

Tubk06,

If the NVIDIA Display GPU Activity Icon shows the program, then the program is using the NVIDIA GPU. At least that has been my experience thus far.

BCPalmer

0 Kudos
      CCris2
      New Contributor II

"Why my Alienware laptop still cannot switch to NVIDIA" ..Thats a good question for all laptops .

On desktop if i have a discrete videocard I can select which one to be first from bios igpu or discrete. Why laptops don't have this option also I don't understand.

0 Kudos
      idata
      Employee

Actually for Audition game I only need to turn off Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel by dragging the button toward Perfomance but nothing change ( FPS always stucks at 60 FPS) with my current Alienware laptop.

With my old DELL laptop before this Alienware (Intel HD + Nvidia GT 840M) can exceed over 60 (up to 180FPS) only change to Performance like this.

0 Kudos
      CCris2
      New Contributor II

Hi Tubk06,

Go in Manage 3d settings and you can set vsync for each application or game.. For global setting vsync Click on Use the advanced 3d image settings and click on Take me there

0 Kudos
      idata
      Employee

I tried many ways include the 3D Manage Settings & turn off Vsync also, follow many guides on the internet ... but cannot force the fps exceed over 60

0 Kudos
      idata
      Employee

I would like to replicate this issue. Please fill out the following form as much as possible and I will update this thread as soon as possible.

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Allan.
      0 Kudos
      BPalm4
      Beginner

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb has graphics corruption.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Alienware 15 r2

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Hybrid Intel HD 530 and NVIDIA GTX 970m

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

<p style="margin-...
      0 Kudos
      idata
      Employee

Thank you for the information, give me some time to test the game with graphics driver version 4444 and I will update this thread as soon as possible.

Allan.
      0 Kudos
      idata
      Employee

Excuse me. First time use the syntax of Dispdiag. How can I use that syntax ? Just copy and paste into CMD (not open as administrator) and enter or need to modify something it the syntax ?

0 Kudos
      BPalm4
      Beginner

Thanks Allan, much appreciated.

Brian Palmer

0 Kudos
      idata
      Employee

I have tested the game on couple of systems one Surface pro 4 with Intel® HD Graphics 520 and an Intel® NUC6i5SYH, both running the latest Windows® 10 and all the updates.

I just installed a new driver version 4463 and I was able to play the game without artifacts.

Please give it a try: /thread/103311 https://communities.intel.com/thread/103311

Allan.
      0 Kudos
      BPalm4
      Beginner

Thanks Allan,

I'll give the driver a try when I get home this evening and reply to the thread on the outcome.

Brian Palmer

0 Kudos