4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2016 8:32 PM by Jason_Maker

Edison Firmware Flashing Stuck on Flashing rootfs

Jason_Maker

I'm trying to flash my Edison with the manual process because the usual installer won't work on my 32-bit Linux system. It starts off OK, but then it gets stuck on "Flashing rootfs". I waited 20 minutes the first time before I retried it. On the second try it was stuck for 40 minutes before I gave up. Any ideas?

Here's my output:

$ sudo ./flashall.sh

[sudo] password for jason:

Using U-Boot target: edison-blankcdc

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

Flashing IFWI

##################################################] finished!

Flashing U-Boot

Flashing U-Boot Environment

Flashing U-Boot Environment Backup

Rebooting to apply partition changes

Flashing boot partition (kernel)

Flashing rootfs, (it can take up to 5 minutes... Please be patient)

• 1. Re: Edison Firmware Flashing Stuck on Flashing rootfs
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Jason,

Could you please tell us which image you’re using? Also, which OS are you using? Are you using the Arduino Expansion board or the Mini Breakout board?
          How are you powering the device? When using the Mini breakout board, sometimes it is necessary to use an external power supply.
          Any other information that you could provide would be very helpful.

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: Edison Firmware Flashing Stuck on Flashing rootfs
            Jason_Maker

I was able to update the firmware with Windows 8.1. I had tried it with 32-bit KDE Linux and with 32-bit Linux Mint, but I gave up after 20 to 40 minutes on those as I said in my original post. The key difference with Windows was that I used the GUI installer which showed a progress bar, while when I was using Linux I had to use the command-line manual installer with no progress indicator. After a couple minutes in Windows, I saw that the progress bar was in fact moving, but moving very slowly. It took about 80 minutes to update the firmware, but it was successful. I now imagine that it would have also worked in Linux if I had waited a similar amount of time, but since the manual installer mentioned that it could take up to "5 minutes", I assumed it had failed after 20+ minutes of waiting.

Since you asked, in each case I was using the Mini Breakout board and it was powered with a USB cable connected to my laptop and in another attempt the USB cable connected to a desktop computer.

Thanks for your personal attention.

-Jason

• 3. Re: Edison Firmware Flashing Stuck on Flashing rootfs
              Wilib

Hello,

I am trying to flash my Arduino Expansion board manually, but these some issue I am seen in my command windows

1. after I open the folder where the flashall.bat file is located it, I got this message:

Using U-boot target: edison-blankrndis

Please plug and reboot the board

"findstr" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable

then, I seen the directory where the file is located

2. if I run the flashall.bat with rigth-click as adminitrator, this is what I got it

Dfu device found

Flashing U-boot

Flashing U-boot Environment

Flashing U-boot Environment Backup

Rebooting ro apply partition changes

Dfu device found

Flashing boot partition <kernel>

Flashing rootfs (.... please be patient) % I have been wating for more than 30 min the command windows closed

Also, I have try to use the Flash Tool Lite. the run the image 100%, but when I tried to set the wifi the board asked me for the usser and then I am not able to type the password.

I have spent a lot of time trying to flash my edison. Could you send me information that resolve this issue, thanks

• 4. Re: Edison Firmware Flashing Stuck on Flashing rootfs
                Jason_Maker

Did you read my comment? It took 80 minutes for me. I'd just wait longer.

-Jason