::Hardware::

• Processor: i7-5820k
  • Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 9 ACK
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator 2666
  • PSU: Corsair AX860i
  • GFX Cards: MSI GTX 770's in SLI
  • SSD: Corsair Neutron XT

::Information::

I have already had 3 RAM RMA's and on this last one my RAM was changed to verify compatibility.

I have had 1 motherboard RMA, MSI is saying the only answer they can give is to do ANOTHER RMA.

::Issue::

I haven't been able to get any RAM module in any configuration from day 1 to run properly in X.M.P. The build runs without fault on 30 minutes worth of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility when X.M.P. is not enabled but fails rather quickly in both processor and RAM tests with X.M.P. enabled. What can be done to rule out the processor being at fault for this, does the processor even have a direct connection of use with RAM speed if the BUS isn't affected? Corsair has given up and just said they will do a refund. As stated, MSI said they can do nothing but RMA the board AGAIN. Before I do another board RMA I would really like to be able to rule out the processor.

Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Randy:

The memory controller is actually located on the processor, so yes, the memory RAM is directly related to the processor.

The Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor, supports DDR4 1333/1600/2133, so the max speed should be 2133MHz and the voltage should be 1.2.

http://ark.intel.com/products/82932/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz?q=Intel%C2%AE%20Core%E2%84%A2%20i7-5820K%20Processor%20(15M%20Cache,%20up%20to%203.60%20GHz) Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz) Specifications

The XMP feature was design to do overclocking, we support the properly functionality of the processor at stock configurations, so, we recommend to disable the XMP profile, and if you are doing overclocking the PC might not work properly.

Overclock: Altering PC clock or memory frequency and/or voltage may reduce system stability and use life of the system, memory and processor; cause the processor and other system components to fail; cause reductions in system performance; cause additional heat or other damage; and affect system data integrity. Intel assumes no responsibility that the memory, included if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose. Check with memory manufacturer for warranty and additional details.

If you are using the processor at stock configurations, and the BIOS was set to defaults and the problem persists, that could be a problem with the processor itself, or it could be the memory RAM.

To check on that, we recommend to test the PC with one memory stick at the time, with all the sticks on different memory DIMMs, just to rule out a possible memory problem.

Alberto

0 Kudos