2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 11:16 AM by ccLakia

Problem Upon Startup With My New Processor

ccLakia

I just bought a new processor for my computer, to be able to get better performance out of it. The only problem is when I start up my computer with the new chip in it, the fan becomes really loud and I get a blue screen of death. I have consulted several friends about it and they have told me it could possibly be problems that are occuring with the

• Power supply
      • BIOS
      • Operating System

I'm not sure what to do exactly, this is my first time ever purchasing a processor and installing it. I'm 100% sure I installed it correctly and my current processor is a Genuine Intel(R) CPU            2140  @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz. The one that I purchased is an Intel Pentium D 940 http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL94Q According to my motherboard specifications http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864946&lc=en&cc=us the two are compatible, but I don't know what to do. Here are the specifications on my computer if needed http://www.filefront.com/15403689/Lakia.txt It's a 64bit processor and I'm running on vista home premium 32bit. If you need to kno anything else just contact me.

My msn contact information is josherish@yahoo.com

If anyone can contact me or post here that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance for your time

• 1. Re: Problem Upon Startup With My New Processor
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Ok, the first thing to do would be to update the BIOS. Do it with your "working" CPU in though.

Also at one point does it give you the BSOD exactly?

Then post back and let us know what happens.

It could also be your PSU, theres a bit of a jump between the CPUs in terms of power consumption. Have you tried unplugging all components taht are not necesary and then booting?

• 2. Re: Problem Upon Startup With My New Processor
            ccLakia

Is there a guide that I can find on what to do to update my BIOS, because I've never attempted anything and I'm really new to this(First time).

It gives me the BSOD right after the first loading screen, so before anything gets to load(desktop user interfaces etc w/e) it just becomes a BSOD. If it is my PSU is there anything I can do about it? Other than buying a new one.

Message was edited by: ccLakia When I tried to access my BIOS it gave me BSOD as usual before I could even attempt anything, that was when I had the new processor in, I have yet to try to update my BIOS with the Genuine CPU in the computer because it doesn't make sense, Why would I need to update my BIOS for just the same chipset? On Fri 1/22/2010 5:37:52 PM your computer crashed This was likely caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe Bugcheck code: 0xFFFFFFFFC000021A (0x8A4CEBD0, 0x0, 0xC0000001, 0x100534) Error: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini012210-01.dmp file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.