6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 6:51 AM by Intel Corporation

Problems with using micro SD card/additional storage. Heat dissipation issue?

1900hurricane

Howdy, I have recently purchased a Compute Stick (STK2m3W64CC) off of Amazon for use mainly with a living room TV and occasionally for travel as well. For the most part, I have been quite happy with it as it does everything I would like it to do, but there is one possible issue I have run into.

I have augmented the storage with a 128 GB Samsung EVO+ MicroSD card, and occasionally when running applications installed on the card or transferring larger files/folders, the card will stop responding for several minutes. I tried substituting the function of the card with a SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, but ended up running into similar issues. In fact, while transferring a few GBs worth of data to the flash drive, Windows began to chastise me for removing, inserting, and again removing the drive in rapid succession, even though the flash drive had not been touched. Upon removing the flash drive immediately following an abort of the file transfer, the USB insert was scalding hot, making me wonder if both the microSD card and flash drive are both being hampered by inadequate heat dissipation.

It should also be noted that everything on the built in storage or OneDrive continues to operate normally even while the two previously mentioned storage devices begin to have issues. After a quick internet search, it didn't look like a common issue, but it admittedly wasn't the most in depth search ever executed. Upon finding this forum, I figured this was as good of a place as any to begin searching for any possible solutions. Like I mentioned, aside from this issue, this Compute Stick has been exactly what I desired upon purchase, so a solution to this issue would remove any negatives I have experienced so far with this neat little system.