1 2 3 Previous Next 84 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2016 6:49 PM by femton

NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering

lloydsparkes

I recently build a Intel Skull Canyon ( Nuc6i7kyk ) PC. With 32GB of Ram and Samsung 950 NVMe Pro SSD.

I have pair this with 2x Dell U2515H WQHD Monitors. Which I have connected in the following configurations:

1 - mDP -> Monitor 1 -> Daisy Chain via MST -> Monitor 2

2 - mDP -> Monitor 1. Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 -> To DP -> Monitor 2

Under both configurations I have issues with the monitors constantly flickering on and off (one of the monitors will flicker black for a few second, then come back on) This happens at various intervals, from a few times a minute to a few times an hour.

If i just have one monitor plugged it is it fine (I have tested both in this configuration).

I have updated to BIOS rev 35. I have the latest 4454 drivers installed

I have brought official VESA 1.2 compliant DP cables (to ensure its not a cable issue, I saw alot of issues online about Pin 19/20 being connected on cheaper cables)

Given the issue happens without using Daisy Chaining, it seems its not related to Dell issues with Display Port daisy chaining.

I am at an absolute loss. I brought the Skull Canyon because it could drive 3x 4K screens, but it seems to be struggling at 2x WQHD.

Does anyone have any idea's?

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
          TekkamanXP

I have the exact same issue. Slightly different Config. 16GB of Ram and the Samsung 950 NVMe Pro SSD.

My setup is this:

2 x Dell 2715H Monitors

1 - mDP -> Monitor 1 -> Daisy Chain via MST -> Monitor 2

Already tried swapping out Cables which work fine with my other NUC. Same results.

Updated Bios Rev 35 w/ 4454 driver installed.

I've tested drivers previous version 4444 and 4454 both with the same result. Sporadic flickering on and off just like you described. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Temp Work Around:

After struggling with getting stable Intel GFX drivers up and running, I uninstalled the 4454 and left Win10 to it's own devices. It automatically installed version 4331 dated 11/18/2015 which seems to be somewhat stable (for a least a few hours without flickering while Daisy Chaining MST). However, this driver appears to have given me a BSOD(DPC Watchdog Violation) after about an hour's worth of use so I'll have to test some more.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, Users:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like to thank you for all the information provided about this scenario.

I would like to further request a report from your system that will provide plenty of useful infomation.

How can you get that report?

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
            -Download the utility
            -Scan your system with the utility
            -Export the report (hit next and then save) and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option (reply button and then check upper right corner)

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,
            Esteban C

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
              TonyTran

If the dpc watchdog violation occurs, then it's probably a error from your driver which asked to uninstall the driver. I found this from Google.

How To Fix DPC Watchdog Violation Error On Windows

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                ErnieE

I am exceptionally unhappy with the response that Intel has given my report of very nearly the identical issue.

The FIRST post I made about this (March 26) went into detail and included video.  You would THINK that after the EXACT SAME scenario occurred with a NUC5i7RYH, that Intel would have had this issue fixed prior to release.  (It took at least 2-3 months for a set of Firmware/Drivers to arrive that fully corrected the issues.)

The last response (today, from Intel) takes the cake. ALL of the information requested is in previous posts.

Lloyd,

If you are board, watch the videos. https://communities.intel.com/message/397476

The behavior is nearly identical to what you describe.  The 'outer' displays are the DP MST Chain. The inner is HDMI. (In the first set of videos.) 

I am VERY unhappy as I have NOT been able to use my NUC6i7KYK due to these issues. I have a large investment tied up in a nearly useless machine (for me, the ~way~ I NEED to use it.).  Until Intel finally gets around to fixing the problem the machine just sits under the other (working, Identically cabled) NUC5i7RYH. 

This is twice that Intel has done this and it is VERY likely that it will be the last NUC I ever purchase. 

Ultimately I too purchased the NUC6i7KYK for a (dual) 4K solution. Given how poorly it performs handling (dual or triple) < 2K displays, I don't want to invest in MORE equipment that won't work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                  lloydsparkes

Hi ErnieE,

Yea I saw your thread, and thought my issue was pretty similar to yours (apart from the HDMI bits)

But yes its pretty shameful that these issues exist, when we are basically using the hardware for excatly what they are selling it for.

Fortunately the flickering has not been too bad recently so I have been able to use my PC. But its completely rubbish that I have to wait for these fixes

Lloyd

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                    Intel Corporation

Thank you for your contribution ErnieE.

This has been tested by our graphics team and it worked, as per the answer in linked thread above.

For that reason lloydsparkes, if you already followed the recommendation in both threads have been tested, please go ahead and request the RMA for your unit.

There is a chance of hardware issue as well.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
                    Esteban C

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                      lloydsparkes

Hi,

So I have updated to latest BIOS (37) and Graphic drivers (4464), and the issues seem to be there.

So your saying I need to open a RMA now?

Thanks,

Lloyd

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                        lloydsparkes

So I tried to raise an RMA

Got the following response

"

Hello Loyd, Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your Intel® NUC device. The case is been handle by our communities team. Best regards,

"

Unfortunately I cannot login to update the RMA because of a saml single sign on error.

"We can't log you in. Check for an invalid assertion in the SAML Assertion Validator (available in Single Sign-On Settings) or check the login history for failed logins."

Please advise

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                          Intel Corporation

I would like to apologize for the scenario faced as per your last comments, but let me provide you with the phone support for diferent GEOs so you can get in touch with our support center and get this RMA'd

North America: Phone Number:  1-916-377-7000
                          Business Hours:
                          Monday - Friday
                          7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time)

EMEA contact information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html
                          APAC contact information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html
                          LAR contact information: http://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/support/contact-support/lar-contact.html

Hope you can contact us and get this done.

Please keep me posted on this matter.

Regards,
                          Esteban C

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                            hubick

Yesterday I purchased a NUC6i7KYK w 32GB (Corsair Value 2x16)+950 Pro. I did a power button recovery update to BIOS 0037, installed Windows 10, the HDMI 2.0 Firmware 0x07_0x20f, and latest graphics (15.40.25.4463) and chipset (10.1.1.18) drivers. I have a single display, a 40" Samsung UHD TV at 3840x2160 over HDMI. Running at 30hz (HDMI 1.4 bandwidth) the display functions fine, but at 60hz (HDMI 2.0 bandwidth) I get almost constant flickering whenever I do anything. I tried multiple cables and that didn't seem to have any impact. Fedora 24 seems to work fine at 30hz, but doesn't even show a 60hz option.

Is this likely also a problem with my unit's hardware?

The store I purchased from has a 1 week return policy, and at over $1600 CDN, I don't want to keep it if this won't be resolved.

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                              TekkamanXP

An update/possible work around.

Running Driver Set: 4463

Firmware: 0037

I was reading through the Skullcanyon NUC technical documentation on display modes which notes Displayport should be available via the USB3.1 Thunderbolt C Port and supports MST. I decided to buy a USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter in hopes its might be able to bypass the flickering issue. Here's the one I purchased.

Cable Matters USB 3.1 Type C (USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible) to DisplayPort 4K UHD Adapter in Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X4S5DKC/

So now my chain is this:

Skull Canyon NUC -> USB-C to Displayport Adapter ->  Dell 2715H (DP) -> MST (DP)  -> Dell 2715H (DP)

Since adding in the Adapter, I haven't experienced any flickering in the last 24 hours. While this doesn't absolve Intel of being able to figure out a fix for this issue, this workaround will hopefully make the computer usable on a consistent basis. I have an HDMI 1.4 balun connected to the Skull Canyon HDMI Port as well and it seems to not have any issues, but I haven't tested it thoroughly enough. Hope this helps you guys.

@hubick, Unknown at this point if its an hardware issue. Judging from past NUC's seems like Intel just has drivers issues that aren't fully ironed out when their NUC's are newly released. Since a few of us are experiencing nearly identical issues, I'd say if it is a hardware issue, its affected batches, and not just your unit specifically.

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                                ErnieE

Intel had me RMA my unit. The new one arrived today and tonight I will likely try and set it up.  Given the entire procedure typically takes a couple of hours, I might have to wait until Saturday before I have conclusive evidence one way or another.

I was told that a dual DP via MST version of the monitors I use was working 'in house' with the current firmware/drivers.

It is plausible that it is a hardware issue, but given my experience with almost the EXACT issue with my previous NUC, I am skeptical of that answer. (The same blanking with DP happened until the firmware and drivers stabilized.)

I'll post more on my thread and maybe this one two if the problem disappears.

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYK Dual Display Port display issues - black flickering
                                  Intel Corporation

Hey, hubick:

What happens if you use a single stick of RAM?

Additionally, may I have the following from your set-up?

-Intel® System Support Utility report
                                  -Graphics report> Intel HD Graphics Control panel> Options and support> Information Center> Save
                                  -Sticky: https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

This will help us to have a clearer scenario from your system which will make the troubleshooting easier.

How can you get the SSU report?

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
                                  -Download the utility
                                  -Scan your system with the utility
                                  -Export the report (hit next and then save) and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option (reply button and then check upper right corner)

Hope I can hear from you soon.

TekkamanXP, thank you for your comments on this while using that adapter!

ErnieE, please let us know how it goes, let's go with positively!!

Regards,
                                  Esteban C

1 2 3 Previous Next