3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 2:02 PM by UbIx

Running Ubuntu on the Intel Compute Stick

linuxium

I've created ISO images specifically to work on the Intel Compute Stick with the latest 16.04 release by combining recent patches and source code and ported them with Canonical's kernel source to fully support HDMI audio, WiFi and Bluetooth. I've also included patches that try to reduce the random freezes that have been known to occur.

Full details are posted here including links for the following ISOs:

• Ubuntu using Unity (a graphical shell for the GNOME desktop environment)
      • Lubuntu using LXDE (the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment)
      • Xubuntu using the Xfce desktop environment
      • Kubuntu using KDE's Plasma desktop environment
      • Ubuntu GNOME using the GNOME desktop environment
      • Ubuntu MATE using the MATE desktop environment

All ISOs work on all of the Intel Compute Stick models including the Core M models which are supported for the sake of completeness. Lubuntu being a lightweight Ubuntu is highly suitable for the minimalist STCK1A8LFC model especially as I've configured it to use ZRAM both in the ISO and once installed. I've also configured them all to both run and install using either a 32-bit or 64-bit bootloader to provide the ability to easily dual-boot without needing to modify the BIOS.

Each ISO can be written it to a USB using either 'Rufus' in Windows or 'dd' in Linux. The USB can then be used to boot from by pressing the 'F10' option immediately after powering-on the device. For installation to the device's internal storage simply run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions.

I've also developed a manual patching process where a script can be downloaded and then executed to update the kernel to match those provided by Canonical.

• 1. Re: Running Ubuntu on the Intel Compute Stick
          Amy_Intel

Hello, linuxium:

Thank you for taking the time to share this with the community, I am pretty sure that this will help a lot of Intel® Compute Stick users.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Running Ubuntu on the Intel Compute Stick
            jglinian

Thanks very much for your excellent work and all the tips.

I just received 1st generation stick with Ubuntu 14.04, and after a few hours of playing with it I decided to change the linux version to something more light.

I folowed your instruction with Lubuntu, and then changed the kernel to your newest modified. Very useful, now the stick works quite fluent. The only negative impact is that build-in wifi performance was better with factory build (like 30mb vs. 18-20mb/s now). Thank you once again!

Jacek

• 3. Re: Running Ubuntu on the Intel Compute Stick
              UbIx

Hi linuxium,

thanks for your work and information. But I uses openSUSE since more than 15 years, so I tested my ComputeSticks STCK1A32WFC and STCK2m364CC with openSUSE Tumbleweed, which I installed with ImageWriter on a USB-Memory-Stick. If "EFI secure boot" is enabled in EFI BIOS, they ask if the key should be installed. After this the USB-Memory-Stick boots and I can install the OS on the Compute Stick. On the STCK1A32WFC I installed it parallel to the Windows 10 on a fast (> 90MB/s) mikro-SD-Card an on the other in the internal memory.

For openSUSE Tumbleweed, exists an Repository which includes a driver for the not in standard Kernel available RTL8723BS WLAN/BT driver, which works fine on the STCK1A32WFC.