7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 12:56 PM by Intel Corporation

Problem using NUC6i3SYK USB Ports  When Restoring An Image

westguy

I used Intel's USB Creator utility to update my Win-7 Install USB Drive.  I was able to install Win-7 without any issues.  I have a fully configured Master System and now need to create an Image.  I used the BACKUP Function built into Win-7 to create an IMAGE - and I have burned a STARTUP/REPAIR CD.  I have the latest Intel Drivers and BIOS Version 44.

I have a USB CD/DVD Drive and I'm able to boot from it into STARTUP/REPAIR.  HOWEVER I cannot make any selections because suddenly neither my Mouse or Keyboard will work.

I similarly created a BACKUP Boot Drive under BACKERUPER.  Again the NUC boots, but as soon as the screen to initiate the backup appears, neither my Mouse or Keyboard will function.

I find it odd that the NUC5i3RYK, which ALSO ONLY HAS USB3.0 Ports, booted directly from the my original Win-7 Installation USB Drive.  And it's Ports under Win-7 behave as expected.

By contrast the NUC6i3SYK is a confused mess.  Why would it's USB3.0 Ports work any differently than those of a NUC5i3RYK???????????

My question is what do I do so I can use the BACKUP Capability built into Win-7 WITHOUT loosing use of my NUC6i3SYK USB Ports??   Please do not say "Use Windows-10" as that was roundly rejected by my client and his IT Department.

---- Dave Zeph

• 1. Re: Problem using NUC6i3SYK USB Ports  When Restoring An Image
          Gize2

The Intel USB 3.0 drivers are missing from the boot.wim in the sources folder of your startup repair disc.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility?product=89186

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25476/eng/Install-Win7-to-USB3.0-Computers-Readme.pdf

I tried the Intel tool, and while it adds the drivers to the boot.wim's Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository folder, it doesn't add them to the Windows\System32\drivers folder, so USB mouse and keyboard still do not function--I'm not sure why this is, and it might have something to do with it being a startup repair disc vs. a standard Windows 7 installation disc.

I started over by adding USB 3.0 drivers to the boot.wim using the DISM tool, then I copied the startup repair disc files to a bootable usb flash drive, and my keyboard and mouse worked normally.  So, you should probably use the DISM or DISM GUI method mentioned in the pdf above.

If you need to create a bootable USB flash drive, instructions are here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/dd744530(v=ws.10).aspx   (Step 3:  Prepare the  UFD)  **Make sure you select the correct disk when using diskpart ('list disk' to show all disks), as a 'clean' command quick erases all data on the disk**

After the USB flash drive is formatted and made active (bootable), you can copy the startup repair disc files to it.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Problem using NUC6i3SYK USB Ports  When Restoring An Image
            cwizardtx

I prefer to use DISM, you can use the Windows 10 PE and version of DISM to capture and deploy your Windows 7 devices, and the WinPE has USB 3.0 support.

Windows 10 Forums  (Link to instructions on how to use it)

• 3. Re: Problem using NUC6i3SYK USB Ports  When Restoring An Image
              cwizardtx

This might be a better tutorial: How to rip a Windows 7/8 Image using WinPE4.0 and DISM - Overclock.net Community

Good luck, that's how I created my Win7 deployment image.  I use it several times

• 4. Re: Problem using NUC6i3SYK USB Ports  When Restoring An Image
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi all,

Thanks for the help, Westguy, I would like to know if you could create the image an make it work with the information provided above.

Regards,
                Hellen.

• 5. Re: Problem using NUC6i3SYK USB Ports  When Restoring An Image
                  westguy

Hi Hellen – your response.  No, I hate to admit it but the information you reference was “all Greek to me”.  Let me outline my situation:

1. I have purchased 13 NUCi6i3SYK’s for a client – based on my positive experience with the NUC5i3RYK (think that’s the correct part Number).
                  2. After running Win7_USB3.0_Creator_v2, I was able to successfully install Windows-7 to one of the NUCi3SYK’s.
                  3. I proceeded to configure a MASTER SYSTEM – which I now need to IMAGE to the 12 remaining NUC’s.  And BTW, I am using a Volume licensed version of Windows-7.
                  4. I have Created an Image of my MASTER SYSTEM using Windows-7 BACKUP & RESTORE and I need to CREATE A SYTEM REPAIR DISK that will boot on my 12 remaining NUC6i3SYK’s.
                  5. I have created this Disk (a DVD) – and it boots.  However the USB Ports are subsequently no longer useable.  I need to make selections in order to initiate Restoring the IMAGE and cannot do this with non-functioning USB Ports.
                  6. While it would be helpful to know how to FURTHER UPDATE my Windows-7 Installation Media, what I really need are the files and where to load the files INTO MY EXISTING MASTER SYSTEM that will produce a USEABLE SYSTEM REPAIR DISK.
                  7. I also tried another BACKUP & IMAGE RESTORE program – BACKERUPER – with exactly the same problem.  BACKERUPER creates a Win-PE RESTORE DISK.
                  8. Again – I need to know what to do to my existing Master System so that it will create a Useable SYSTEM REPAIR DISK.  I really do not want to go through the whole process of recreating my MASTER SYSTEM

Intel advertizes the NUC6i3SYK as being compatible with Microsoft Windows-7.  However - AS SHIPPED – in my opinion IT IS NOT.  Instead the user is left to scratch through the WEB to learn that the NUC6 USB3.0 Ports are “not quite Kosher.”

I would like to know why Windows-7 will load from a USB2.0 Flash Drive on the NUC5i3’s but will not on the NUC6’s – given that BOTH THE NUC5’s
                  and NUC6’s have the same number of USB3.0 Ports????
                    The NUC6 must be a “problem child” given that there have been FOURTY-FOUR (44) Releases of the NUC6 BIOS.

And I REALLY need the files and where to load them on to my existing Master System such that I can create a USEABLE SYSTEM REPAIR / RESTORE Disk.

I have a significant investment in these 13 NUC’s and I really need to complete this project.  I think INTEL has a responsibility to provide a utility to FIX this problem with both the Windows-7 Installation Media – and with completed, loaded Systems.

Sorry I have been so repetitive – but my back is to the wall.

• 6. Re: Problem using NUC6i3SYK USB Ports  When Restoring An Image
                    Gize2

When you create a System Repair Disc, Windows does not pull the drivers from your running installation and add them to the boot.wim on the System Repair Disc.  You have to do this yourself as I suggested, or you can use cwizardtx's advice, where you capture your master image and apply it to your NUC's using a Windows 10 WinPE environment, since WinPE based on Win10 already has USB 3.0 support.

What you're trying to do is image bare metal PC's, and there are numerous tools to do so.  You can try the methods that cwizardtx and I suggested above, use Clonezilla, or try a paid solution (Acronis, Macrium, etc.).

The problem you face is not an Intel one, since USB 3.0 isn't supported by default in Windows 7.

• 7. Re: Problem using NUC6i3SYK USB Ports  When Restoring An Image
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi all,

Thanks Gize2, Westguy I suggest you to follow Ginze2 recommendation.

Regards,
                      Hellen.