9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 4:36 PM by Intel Corporation

Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue

pandufa

Hi there,

after a failed ATI video driver update (ending up in a BSD) my software RAID 1 would not synchronize. After looking at the Disk Management, following situation is encountered:

Arrrrggghhh....

The IRST shows the following information:

... and for the individual disks:

Hence, to me it looks like both disks are still working. I rather suspect that something in the files that control the soft RAID 1, something got mixed up. However, I do not have the knowledge to investigate this further, as I do not know how the soft RAID works.

The CTRL + I command during POST does not work, not sure why. I tried several times, no way. In consequence, I can't provide a screen dump of the information provided by the Intel® Rapid Storage Manager option ROM.

Therefore, and before trying any "try & error" solutions, I would like to request the help of someone who is familiar with resolving this kind of issues.

First thing I guess I would need to check is if both disks indeed work (or is the information from the IRST software sufficient and reliable?). In case I would have to verify first if both disks are fully operative (not damaged), what would I have to do?

Second, how can I get them to work as a RAID 1 again (without loosing data, of course!)? I guess somehow I would need to clean up the mess that was (apparently) created due to the system crash. I imagine I can use some of the options provided by the Microsoft Disk Management utility, but I am unclear what are the right options and the correct sequence of actions (Remove Mirror..., Reactivate Volume..,...??). I think that the disk that is indicated as missing is actually Disk 3 which is marked as "Invalid". Hence "just" a question of setting it all straight? But how?

I would appreciate any help with this. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

• 1. Re: Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Patrick:

In order to further assist you with the RAID 1 configuration in regard to the failed redundancy issue , we need a screenshot of the control+i menu, so we can check the status of the RAID and the hard drives.

If you cannot access that menu, you can always get in the BIOS and enable the hard disk pre delay feature, that will slow down the boot process and you will be able to enter that menu.

What is the model of the board?

Alberto

• 2. Re: Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue
            Intel Corporation

Hello Patrick:

I just wanted to check if you saw the previous post, with the instructions to access the control+ i menu?

Also, I wanted to check if you enable the hard disk pre delay feature, to access that menu?

The information on that menu is very important for us to further assist you.

Alberto

• 3. Re: Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue
              pandufa

Dear Alberto,

sorry for the delay in responding. I was otherwise busy.

I have not been able to access the CTRL+ I menu. In BIOS settings, there is no hard disk pre delay feature. If I recall right, the CTRL+ I menu requires installation of some software, or not? As I have been able to access the CTRL+ I menu earlier, I may have uninstalled that piece of software required to enable this menu. Could you provide information on what I need to do to reenable the CTRL+ I feature?

As for the motherboard, here's the information I obtained with the "wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber" command:

Manufacturer: Alienware, Product: 04VWF2, SerialNumber: ..CN697020AJ0473, Version: A02

Info obtained using msinfo32:

System Model    Aurora
              System Type    x64-based PC
              Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
              BIOS Version/Date    Alienware A11, 27/04/2010

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

• 4. Re: Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue
                Intel Corporation

Hello pandufa:

No problem at all.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience, because I am a little bit confused with the system configuration you have.

Currently you have a RAID 0 or RAID 1?

Because on the pictures above I see, both, so could you please provide a detailed description of what you did?

For control + I menu to work, the SATA mode on the BIOS should be on RAID, is that how it is right now?

Please provide as much information as you can, that will be really helpful for us to properly assist you.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 5. Re: Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue
                  pandufa

Hi Alberto,

it's a RAID 1. As described, something messed up, so the information provided above may not be correctly reflected by the different applications, but it's the current status.

SATA mode is enabled, but I still don't get the CTRL + I to work, even though I tried several times.

As described in my initial post, I was performing a ATI video driver update which ended up in a BSD. After that, my software RAID 1 would not synchronize. Apparently, some information on the disk configuration got corrupted.

As you can see in the images taken of Disk Management, Disk 2 [DATADISK_RAID1 (G:)] is recognized, but marked as failed redundancy. The other disk of the RAID 1 setup is marked as missing further below. However, both disks seem to be working, as they are both recognized as "Available" by the IRST software as Internal Disk 2.7TB each on port 2 and port 3 respectively. I am actually using Disk 2 under risk of data loss, hoping to resolve the issue soon. The disk marked as "Invalid" (Disk 3) in Disk Management should actually be the second disk of the RAID 1 (port 3 in IRST).

Basically, I would need instructions on how to safely put them back together into the original RAID 1 array without loosing any data, i.e. have Disk 3 recognized again as part of the original RAID 1 setup and have them synchronize all changes that have been committed in the meantime (essentially, mirror all information on Disk 2 to Disk 3).

Thanks!

Cheers,

pandufa

• 6. Re: Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue
                    Intel Corporation

Hello pandufa:

Thank you very much for providing all those details, it will allow us to properly assist you.

Just to make sure, is this your PC?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-aurora/drivers

If you get in the BIOS, as you can see on the image below, is the SATA mode is set up to: IDE, AHCI or RAID?

Also, do you have the option to use a different hard drive and connect it to the same port, just to check if it is recognize, to rule out a possible problem with the SATA port itself?

How many SATA ports are available on this PC?

Did you try to connect the Disk 3 hard drive to a different SATA port just to check if it is properly recognize?

Alberto

• 7. Re: Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue
                      pandufa

Dear Alberto,

yes, that's the PC model I am using. As for the BIOS, SATA configuration is set to RAID.

DSC_0015.JPG

The PC has a total of 4 hard disks. The sytem drive C: sits on a RAID 0 consisting of two Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS 1TB hard disks.

The other two disks (both 3TB Western Digital WD30EZRX) are set up as RAID 1 and are used for data storage. These are the disks that are concerned by the issue described here.

I also have an external hard drive (fantec MR-35VU3R) with two WD30EFRX 3TB hard disks set up as RAID 1. These are basically used as backup disks for the data storage disks of the PC. However, this device isn't recognized since some time by the PC and due to lack of time I haven't yet resolved that issue. It coudl be a problem with the USB 3.0 adapter, but it could also be that some configuration file got corrupted. I decided to tackle one thing after the other, hence I started with the above issue. Basically, I could use the fantec case to test the other disks, but need to guarantee that I will not end up with data loss.

Also, I believe there are still some free SATA ports available in the main PC, so I could try with these. In any case, I would need step-by-step instructions on how to proceed. I don't know how many SATA ports are still available, but I think at least one or two should still be free.

Thanks!

Cheers,

pandufa

• 8. Re: Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue
                        Intel Corporation

Hello pandufa:

Thank you very much for providing those details, they are very useful for us in order to further assist you.

We will try to send you the step-by-step guide that you are requesting, but at this point the first recommendation we can give you will be to back up all the important information that you have on the PC, to avoid losing any data.

Also, at this point we will do a research and investigation in order to provide the information needed to resolve this scenario.

As soon as I get a possible resolution, I will post it on this thread.

Alberto

• 9. Re: Instructions needed on how to resolve RAID 1 Failed Redundancy issue
                          Intel Corporation

Hello pandufa:

I just wanted to let you know that we did some research in order to find out if there is a way for you to restore or rebuild the RAID 1 configuration.

But, at this point, we think the problem is related to the RAID 1 structure.

So, you should be able to have all the information in one of the two disks on that RAID 1 configuration, so, what we recommend first of all is to back up all the information from the disk that is working fine, and then create the RAID 1 from scratch again, and after that transfer the information back to the RAID 1.

Alberto