8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 3:23 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

How do I reset the Admin Bios password on a DQ77KB board.

GorL

Am trying to reset the Admin Bios password on a DQ77KB board have tried shorting pins 1+2 on MEBX. And also removing the battery and shorting power for 10 seconds, just can't get rid of the password.

The Bios is locked down can't even change the time / Date. There must be a way of getting back to factory default.

• 2. Re: How do I reset the Admin Bios password on a DQ77KB board.
          GorL

Hi thanks for the quick reply, I've already tried the MEBX Reset Header solution on pins 1 + 2 several times, with no luck

I've tried the BIOS reset jumper however get no option to reset password and USB keyboard will not work when booting in Bios reset mode.

Battery removal has also had no effect.

• 3. Re: How do I reset the Admin Bios password on a DQ77KB board.
            N.Scott.Pearson

Just to be sure, let's go through the (combined) process again, step-by-step:

1. Power off completely (unplug from wall).
            2. Add jumper across pins 1 & 2 of the MEBX header.
            3. Move yellow BIOS Maintenance jumper from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3.
            4. Remove CR2032 battery from board.
            5. Wait 15 minutes. Note: Pressing power button DOES NOT cause CMOS to drain; wait the time.
            6. Plug in and power on system.
            7. When BIOS Setup appears, choose Clear Passwords and follow dialog.
            8. Exit BIOS Setup, saving the configuration.
            9. Power off completely (unplug from wall). Press and hold power button for 10 seconds to drain power.
            10. Remove the MEBX jumper.
            11. Move yellow BIOS Maintenance jumper from pins 2 & 3 to pins 1 & 2.
            12. Restore the CR2032 battery to its socket.
            13. Plug in and power on system.
            14. Use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
            15. Use F9 to clear BIOS configuration.
            16. Set date and time.
            17. Change any other BIOS settings necessary for your hardware configuration.
            18. Exit BIOS Setup, saving the configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: How do I reset the Admin Bios password on a DQ77KB board.
              GorL

Thanks for the help,

Followed it to the letter got as far as 6. Plug in and power on system. however it refused to start with the jumpers set to bios pins 2 & 3

MEBX pins 1 & 2. and battery removed.

I tried removing power again and removing just the MEBX jumper then tried powering again and it booted but no option to clear passwords.

Regards Gordon

• 5. Re: How do I reset the Admin Bios password on a DQ77KB board.
                N.Scott.Pearson

Did you have the yellow BIOS Maintenance jumper on pins 2 & 3? The Maintenance options (which include clearing passwords) will only appear when the jumper is in this position...

• 6. Re: How do I reset the Admin Bios password on a DQ77KB board.
                  GorL

Hi, Yes I had Bios maintenance jumper on pins 2 & 3 and MEBX jumper on pins 1 & 2 with battery removed, left it over 15 mins, It wouldn't power on when I attached the PSU with the jumpers in those positions.

Am going to give it another go now that its not had a battery attached all night.

Regards Gordon

• 7. Re: How do I reset the Admin Bios password on a DQ77KB board.
                    N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, before anything else, a message to all those attempting to do the same thing. The Technical Product Specification (TPS) states that "Momentarily shorting pin 1 and 2 with a jumper will accomplish...". This is poorly written and implies something that is patently not the case. There is nothing "momentary" about the process. You must power on the system with a jumper installed on the Management Engine BIOS eXtension (MEBX) Reset header and allow the BIOS and Management Engine (ME) to complete their Power-On Self-Test (POST) processing before the reset will be completed. Just installing the jumper (momentarily) boesn't magically cause something to happen. In order for the ME to realize that the jumper is actually present, it must check the state of a General-Purpose I/O (GPIO) that is connected to one of the pins of this header. It only does this check during its POST processing. This, to perform a reset, you must allow the BIOS and ME to completely perform their POST processing.

Ok, I was trying to be lazy and provide a process that combined a number of operations together and eliminated duplicate steps (and did not have a VPro system to verify it with). It looks like the BIOS Maintenance and MEBX Reset modes cannot be combined in this way. Before I blindly restate the process, however, let me verify exactly what it is you want to accomplish. The title of this thread indicates that you are trying to reset the Admin password on this board. Is this all you are trying to do? The Admin password actually has nothing to do with a MEBX Reset (which is the reset of the Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) configuration). Your attempts to do this reset may have taken us off onto an unnecessary tangent. Do you really need to reset AMT?

The process for clearing BIOS passwords (also defined here: Clearing BIOS Passwords on Desktop Boards) is as follows:

1. Power off completely (unplug system from wall).
                    2. Remove any jumper you have installed on the MEBX Reset header.
                    3. Move the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the 2 & 3 pins.
                    4. Power on the system.
                    5. The BIOS should automatically enter BIOS Setup. The first scene displayed is the Maintenance Scene. This scene includes an option for clearing the BIOS passwords.
                    6. Select the option to Clear Passwords. When asked, confirm that you want to do this.
                    7. Exit from BIOS Setup with a save of the BIOS Configuration.
                    8. Power off completely.
                    9. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the 1 & 2 pins.
                    10. Power the system back on.

If you absolutely need to, the process for resetting the ME (AMT) configuration (also defined in the TPS) is as follows - but don't do it until after reading what I say below it:

1. Power off and unplug system.
                    2. Place a jumper on the 1-2 pins of the MEBX Reset header.
                    3. After ~5 seconds, remove this jumper.
                    4. Power on the system.
                    5. Wait for the system to complete POST (the actual application of the reset occurs near the end of POST).
                    6. If, during POST, you see a message saying CMOS Battery Failure, you need to go into BIOS Setup and set the date and time. Make sure you exist BIOS Setup with a save of the BIOS Configuration.

For many years, BIOSs used the (battery-backed) CMOS memory in the clock chip to store the BIOS configuration. With the advent of flash technology, the use of the CMOS memory was gradually removed (IMHO, way, way too gradually). Today, it is not supposed to be used at all (well, other than for the tracking of the date and time). Unfortunately, there are obviously places in the BIOS where code is still using the contents of the CMOS memory. My proof: if there weren't such places, resetting the CMOS memory would not accomplish anything; the fact that it does accomplish something (witness boards going from a bricked to an unbricked state by doing this reset) means that some code *is* still reading it and responding to its state. Ok, why do I mention this (with so much verbal diarrhea)? Because the MEBX Reset process can alter the CMOS memory state (witness the possibility of seeing the CMOS Battery Failure message). As a result, to keep everything clean, I recommend doing a formal reset of the CMOS as part of the MEBX Reset process.

The restated process is as follows:

1. Power off completely (unplug from wall).
                    2. Place a jumper across pins 1 & 2 of the MEBX Reset header.
                    3. After ~5 seconds, remove this jumper.
                    4. Power on the system.
                    5. Wait for the system to complete POST (the actual application of the reset occurs near the end of POST).
                    6. Power off completely (unplug from wall).
                    7. Remove the CR2032 Battery from the board (this is the battery that maintains the state of the CMOS).
                    8. Wait 15 minutes.
                    9. Power on the system.
                    10. Use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
                    11. Set the date and time. Make sure you exist BIOS Setup with a save of the BIOS Configuration.

That's enough for one response. Let me know how it goes...

...S

• 8. Re: How do I reset the Admin Bios password on a DQ77KB board.
                      N.Scott.Pearson

GorL,

While looking into a similar issue with one of the NUCs, I discovered that I had misinterpreted the old board TPS and stated the MEBX Reset process incorrectly. I edited the above posting to correct the process. Sorry for leading you astray.

Unfortunately, this (restated) procedure is the same as that stated in the board TPS (if you didn't misinterpret it as I did) and thus we may be back to the same point you were in originally. Still, try it again as I have stated it (it contains some clarification that I got from Intel) and see if it works this time...

...S