14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 1:19 PM by OEFVet

Nuc6i7kyk (Skull Canyon Nuc): HDMI black screen issues

haikü

Hi, I've been having trouble getting my Nuc6i7kyk to output over HDMI for most (with one exception) of my monitors and I'm starting to think I might need to some help tracking down what the issue is.

Some background first: I'm trying to build a tiny portable "laptop" with an inbuilt graphics tablet which I can use as a digital sketchbook for art (Here for more details: Link). It's been a fun DIY project and I thought I had finally got all my hardware together when my Nuc arrived. However, I noticed the screen I was planning to use didn't show anything when plugged into the nuc and have been trying to work out the cause of the problem for the last few days. I've tried using it with some other monitors around the house with differing results which I'll list bellow.

Screens:

Topfoison 5.98 inch hdmi Virtual Reality Display: New development 5.98 inch 2K lcd display with HDMI board -Topfoison

• This is the screen I'm hoping to use for my Digital Sketchbook build so the best outcome for me would be getting at least this display working, however it also shows the least signs of life out of any of the monitors I've tried with the Nuc.
      • When plugged into the Nuc via a HDMI to mini HDMI cable ( I tried two cables and I know both work with other devices) the display remains black and a orange LED flashes on the displays control board along with a constant red LED.
      • I tried the display with my laptop just to make sure I hadn't broken it and it seemed to works fine so I don't think it's a problem with the display.
      • Interestingly after I unplug this screen and re-attach the one working screen I can see a windows notification message saying the screen is not set to it's optimal resolution left over from when this screen was attached. So I know Windows is seeing something.

A 7" HDMI LCD from Chalkboard Electronics: Shop | Chalkboard Electronics

• This is the only screen I've found which works perfectly with my Nuc6i7kyk. After playing around for a little longer I found that the screen would start intermittently blacking out, at first only at times when the content on screen was changing the fastest but after a while became almost unusable. Might something be causing some kind of bandwidth restriction over HDMI, as so far the lower the screen resolution the better results I've had.
      • Has the lowest resolution of any screens I've tried which makes me wonder if resolution is playing a part in the issue
      • This is my backup screen if I can't get the Topfoison one working

A Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 monitor: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/kdl-32ex503

• This screen was working briefly (in a horrible resolution) until I updated the drivers
      • Now it shows the boot screen but goes back milliseconds after the windows login screen appears
      • When I tried booting from an Ubuntu flash drive This screen works perfectly

A HP 2229h monitor: HP Pavilion 2229h Monitor - Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

• Similar to the Sony monitor except instead of going black It gives a horrible broken up image, the resolution keeps switching and the screen keeps flashing black

I've tried manually updating all the drivers from Intel and have updated the bios but with no success. Unfortunately all of my keyboards are wireless and none seem to work during the boot sequence so I haven't been able to take a look in the bios yet. I'm using a single 512gb Samsung m.2 ssd on which is installed Windows 10, and a single stick of crucial 16GB DDR4 RAM. For a while the RAM was giving me issues but then I changed it to the other slot and it seems to be working fine now.

For the Sony and HP monitors it feels like I'm having a driver issue or something goes wrong with the connection after the boot screen, but I'm not sure what goes wrong when using the Topfoison VR display and that's what I'm really hoping to get working.

Any suggestions for what I should try would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[edit] Solved all my display issues by just using a cheap mini display port to HDMI adapter. It will take up some extra space in the case but I've spent more time than I would have liked trying to fix the HDMI output of the Nuc. In the end I got the impression that the problem was probably due to the bios version, since updating the bios to version 0035 got most of my displays from being completely black to just flickering black (still very annoying). The flickering black persisted from Win 10 to Ubuntu and even in the bios menu so I don't think drivers were to blame.

[update] Finished the device, ended up using a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and then a 90cm HDMI cable. Although updates released by Intel and Microsoft got the HDMI output working with regular TVs I never did manage to get it working with super short HDMI cables and my VR display (could have been the displays fault though). Anyway here's an image of the final build:

IMG_6407_small.png

It's a tiny laptop powered by an Intel NUC, VR display and a programmable mechanical keyboard. Thought some of you here might find it interesting.