9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 6:57 AM by FerryT

Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle

gavinkoh70

Hi,

I got the UGreen USB dongle off Amazon and was trying to get Ethernet to work in the last hour. To no avail...

dongle.jpg

My Edison board is being powered up externally through the jack and I have rebooted with the dongle plugged into the big USB port and the switch toggled towards it. Running dmesg shows me the following (extract):

[    6.084640] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using dwc3-host
      [    6.111273] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0b95, idProduct=1790
      [    6.111305] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
      [    6.111326] usb 1-1: Product: AX88179
      [    6.111388] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: ASIX Elec. Corp.
      [    6.111410] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 00000000000028

So apparently, the device was detected correctly. But I don't see a legal eth0 reported anywhere.

After logging in, a quick check with "connmanctl" shows the following technologies:

/net/connman/technology/bluetooth
      /net/connman/technology/wifi

Hmm... no Ethernet found. That would mean, I probably need a driver.

I checked again with "ip a" and "ifconfig". Seems that the dongle is legit:

"ip a" output:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue
          link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
          inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
             valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
          inet6 ::1/128 scope host
      2: sit0: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop
          link/sit 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0
      3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
          link/ether fc:c2:de:3f:41:6d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
          inet6 fe80::fec2:deff:fe3f:416d/64 scope link
      4: usb0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
          link/ether 02:00:86:91:38:d8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

"ifconfig" output:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
                inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
                inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
                UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
                RX packets:11689 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:11689 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
                RX bytes:852298 (832.3 KiB)  TX bytes:852298 (832.3 KiB)
      usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:00:86:91:38:d8
                UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
      wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr fc:c2:de:3f:41:6d
                inet6 addr: fe80::fec2:deff:fe3f:416d/64 Scope:Link
                UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                RX packets:135 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:71 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                RX bytes:12979 (12.6 KiB)  TX bytes:11383 (11.1 KiB)

I have with me (delivered in the original packaging) a CD Rom with the ax88179_178a Linux make files (similar to this one online).

I therefore uploaded the four files into a temp folder on my Intel Edison via WinSCP and tried a make with it (as explained in their readme text file). But, I quickly got the following error:

make -C /lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/build SUBDIRS=/home/root/temp modules
      make[1]: *** /lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
      Makefile:30: recipe for target 'default' failed
      make: *** [default] Error 2

I mkdir the build folder reported above and tried a "make" again. Here's the output:

make -C /lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/build SUBDIRS=/home/root/temp modules
      make[1]: Entering directory '/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/build'
      make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'modules'.  Stop.
      make[1]: Leaving directory '/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/build'
      Makefile:30: recipe for target 'default' failed
      make: *** [default] Error 2

I am aware of this thread (http://communities.intel.com/thread/76576), but dread having to follow all the steps in the pdf.

So what do I do now to get Ethernet to work? I don't have ready access to Linux on my laptops at my office. What should I do next?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle
          gavinkoh70

I have been reading this GUIDE: compiling drivers for Poky 3.10.17-poky-edison+ directly on EDISON (in 10 steps :)) .

Unfortunately, I can't continue further, because I can't find this file:

linux-headers-3.10.17-poky-edison_3.10.17-poky-edison-1_i386.deb

Anyone have ideas where I can get a copy of this?

PS - Plus, I just installed 20160606 this morning and don't wish to flash my Edison again.

• 2. Re: Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi gavinkoh70,

The linux-headers-3.10.17-poky-edison_3.10.17-poky-edison-1_i386.deb file has been re uploaded to here
            Now, with this file, continue following https://communities.intel.com/thread/62873 and keep us updated on your progress.

-Sergio

• 3. Re: Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle
              gavinkoh70

Thanks... I left a query on that thread. Got stuck on step 7.

• 4. Re: Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

We’ll run the steps on the guide. We’ll let you know our results soon.

-Sergio

• 5. Re: Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle
                  gavinkoh70

Thanks Sergio.

For your info, I have already dual partitioned and installed Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS on a spare PC on Monday, perused the BSP User Guide, and followed the steps in Shawn Hymel's blog over here: Creating a Custom Linux Kernel for the Edison (release 2.1) | Shawn Hymel

I decided to perform my very first bitbake with the src labelled 25.5-15. After killing all the bugs (and there were at least 5 to contend with - ncurses, binutils, localedef, subversion, etc.),  had to wait an agonizing few hours before I could run menuconfig to include the USB driver for the dongle - see tree below. This is the only option I enabled in menuconfig.

MenuConfig->

Device Drivers->

Network devices support->

USB Network Adapters->

Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework->

ASIX AA8179/178A USB 3.0/2.0 to Gigabit Ethernet

After flashing, dmesg showed this:

[    0.741224] usbcore: registered new interface driver asix
                  [    0.741304] usbcore: registered new interface driver ax88179_178a
                  [    0.741380] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_subset
                  [    0.741510] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ncm

as opposed to this previous result:

[    0.730162] usbcore: registered new interface driver asix
                  [    0.730243] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_subset
                  [    0.730376] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ncm

But for some reason, the xHCI Controller (USB initialization) seems to be not waking up on boot. Plus, I can't get connmanctl to work; the output for connmanctl is shown below:

Error getting services: The name net.connman was not provided by any .service files
                  Error getting peers: The name net.connman was not provided by any .service files
                  Error getting technologies: The name net.connman was not provided by any .service files

So, its back to the drawing board to see where I went wrong - I am not too surprised since my bitbaking got tainted after I pressed CTRL+C too many times at one point.

Next, I guess I should try another round of bitbake with the latest source... by getting 3.10.98 based on these steps:

meta-intel-edison - Layer for the Intel Edison Development Platform

I need to make sure I get the same flashall output as what was published on the Intel Download page for 060616, before I start dabbling with menuconfig or modprobe.

• 6. Re: Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle
                    FerryT

What I learned in the past years is that with linux you need to select hardware for which driver are already supported in the kernel. The reason is twofold:

- when not accepted yet by the kernel devs the quality is probably not good enough

- source files tend to build only for a specific kernel version, and fixing a broken kernel driver is way above my head.

We got ourselves an evaluation board of Microchips LAN9514 http://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=EVB9514. This expands the USB port to a 4-port hub + adds a single ethernet port.

The driver smsc95xx is already part of edisons kernel, although you need to build it. We used http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-edison/and modified the kernel config to build this and other drivers we need. Or actually we build our own layer that adds this.

This my lsmod:

root@edison:~# lsmod
                    Module                  Size  Used by
                    smsc95xx               31910  0 
                    usb_f_acm              14335  1 
                    u_serial               18582  6 usb_f_acm
                    g_multi                70924  0 
                    libcomposite           39245  2 usb_f_acm,g_multi
                    bcm_bt_lpm             13708  0 
                    bcm4334x              587105  0

And ifconfig:

enp0s17u1u1 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:0f:95:1d:4d  
                              inet addr:192.168.1.46  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
                              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST DYNAMIC  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                              RX packets:2917782 errors:0 dropped:94 overruns:0 frame:0
                              TX packets:492545 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                              RX bytes:320604892 (305.7 MiB)  TX bytes:158226400 (150.8 MiB)

RX packets:27862 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          
                              TX packets:27862 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 
                              RX bytes:2017280 (1.9 MiB)  TX bytes:2017280 (1.9 MiB)                                                                
                    usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:00:86:21:c5:1e            
                              inet addr:192.168.2.15  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0                                                   
                              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0       
                              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)                                                                            

As you can see we are not using usb0 or wlan (rfkilled).                                                               

The eval board is not exactly cheap, but comes with a schematic that will allow us to design our own pcb with the edison on it.

I would have been even better for us if the edison came with a base board with this included instead of all the arduino stuff that we are not using.

• 7. Re: Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle
                      gavinkoh70

Managed to compile 3.10.98 without any problems at all. But upon comparing my output with that made by Intel (see below), I noticed I was missing a lot of packages (after comparing package-list.txt). Since the actual configuration options used by Intel doesn't seem to be available anywhere, I shall use opkg install/update with AlexT's repo. But first, I shall have to enable the required driver for my USB Ethernet Dongle - taking into consideration what FerryT wrote.

Will post my results here once I am done.

Intel's version

Directory of C:\Users\A\Downloads\iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160606
                      07/06/2016  12:22 PM     1,373,149,184 edison-image-edison.ext4
                      07/06/2016  12:22 PM            17,626 package-list.txt
                                    26 File(s)  1,444,843,467 bytes

My compiled output:

Directory of C:\Users\A\Downloads\toFlash
                      16/06/2016  03:57 AM       587,879,424 edison-image-edison.ext4
                      16/06/2016  03:58 AM            13,391 package-list.txt
                                    26 File(s)    659,569,472 bytes

• 8. Re: Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle
                        gavinkoh70

Finally, I got the UGreen USB Dongle to work! And it seems I have both Ethernet and Wifi enabled together, although only one can operate at a time. Further testing shall definitely be required.

Took me 4 full days plus 1 OS installation and 3 full bitbakes, but it was definitely worth it in the end.

For sharing, here are the steps I followed (including the references I looked at).

Prepare your Linux platform for compiling the kernel. Follow this:

[Ref: http://intel.com/support/edison/sb/CS-035278.htm and Download Ubuntu Desktop ]

1) Install Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS via DVD or USB stick.

2) Prepare your OS with the prerequisite packages:

sudo apt-get install build-essential git diffstat gawk chrpath texinfo libtool gcc-multilib

Want to work with 3.10.98 (or latest verson of Yocto)? Follow this:

[Ref: meta-intel-edison - Layer for the Intel Edison Development Platform and Creating a Custom Linux Kernel for the Edison (release 2.1) | Shawn Hymel]

3) Make your workspace folder:

mkdir my_Edison_Workspace

4) Make these temp folders inside your workspace with:

mkdir bitbake_download_dir
                        mkdir bitbake_sstate_dir

5) Clone the meta-intel-edison layer via:

git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel-edison

6) Initialize the build environment with the next three lines:

./meta-intel-edison/setup.sh --dl_dir=bitbake_download_dir --sstate_dir=bitbake_sstate_dir
                        cd out/linux64/
                        source poky/oe-init-build-env

7) Create your Intel Edison Yocto image with:

bitbake edison-image

This process will take about 3 - 5 hours, stick around to make sure there are no hiccups.

PS: The solution to the paho error is here: Problems compiling edison-src-ww25.5-15 using bitbake

PPS: The solution to the swig error is to keep trying bitbake (perhaps it's a timeout issue?) or to get the direct link and replace it yourself (refer to prior link regarding the solution to the paho error for an idea of what needs to be done).

Want to add a new device driver? Follow this:

[Ref: http://alextgalileo.altervista.org/blog/reconfiguring-linux-kernel-adding-drivers-galileos-linux-image/  and Linux Kernel Driver DataBase: CONFIG_USB_NET_AX88179_178A: ASIX AX88179/178A USB 3.0/2.0 to Gigabit Ethernet and http://intel.com/support/edison/sb/CS-035278.htm ]

8) Invoke menuconfig to add in your new device driver:

bitbake virtual/kernel -c menuconfig

9) Navigate within menuconfig and turn on the following option by setting it to "M" (shared module):

MenuConfig->

Device Drivers->

Network devices support->

USB Network Adapters->

Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework->

ASIX AA8179/178A USB 3.0/2.0 to Gigabit Ethernet

10) Don't forget to turn off the ASIX AX88xxx Based USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters. Change it from "X" to " " (empty).

11) Tab and then 'Save' the config as my.config. Open my.config. You should be able to find it at this folder:

my_Edison_Workspace/out/linux64/build/tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-externalsrc/1.0-r2/
                             package/usr/src/kernel

Search for the following lines in my.config:

CONFIG_USB_USBNET=y
                        # CONFIG_USB_NET_AX8817X is not set
                        CONFIG_USB_NET_AX88179_178A=m

12) Open your Nautilus File Browser and search for the file i386_edison_defconfig starting from out/linux64/build/tmp/work/edison-poky-linux. You should see four results:

search.png

13) Open all four and make sure the contents are changed so they are the same as what is shown in step 11. Save all changes.

14) Compile the kernel via these two lines:

bitbake virtual/kernel –c configure –f –v
                        bitbake edison-image

15) Copy the following (1 file + 1 folder) to your thumb drive, that is if you are developing with Intel Edison at another location:

my_Edison_Workspace/out/linux64/build/tmp/deploy/ipk/edison/kernel-module-ax88179-178a_1.0-r2_edison.ipk
                        and the entire folder at my_Edison_Workspace/out/linux64/build/toFlash

Flash your Intel Edison:

[Ref: Reconfiguring Linux kernel and adding drivers into Galileo's Linux image]

16) Copy all your files from your thumb drive to your development platform.

17) Run flash_all.bat. Reboot the Edison and wait about 10 minutes for the flashing process to finish.

18) Toggle SW1 towards the USB standard size Type A connector and reboot. For Yocto kernel confirmation, you should see something like this:

Linux kernel version 3.10.98-poky-edison+ (itetdc@itetdc-HP-Compaq-dc7900-Convertible-Minitower) #1
                         SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 17 10:50:02 SGT 2016

19) Copy the ipk file over to the Edison via WinSCP. Place it a temp folder

20) Install the ipk file via opkg, like so:

opkg install /temp/kernel-module-ax88179-178a_1.0-r2_edison.ipk

21) Load the module via modprobe by typing:

modprobe ax88179-178a

22) To confirm it has been loaded, type lsusb to see this (or a similar) result:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
                        Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0b95:1790 ASIX Electronics Corp.
                        Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

23) Run ping, lsmod and dmesg to confirm (- a reboot may be required to see the Ethernet). Here is my summarized output:

ping output -

PING www.yahoo.com (206.190.36.105): 56 data bytes

lsmod output -

Module                  Size  Used by
                        ax88179_178a           21993  0

dmesg output -

[  237.217275] ax88179_178a 1-1:1.0 eth0: register 'ax88179_178a' at usb-dwc3-host.2-1, ASIX AX88
                        179 USB 3.0 Gigibit Ethernet, 00:0e:c6:c3:26:11

Check Ethernet:

24) Run "ip a" to check your ip address in Linux. Here is my sample output:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue
                            link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
                            inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
                            inet6 ::1/128 scope host
                        2: sit0: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop
                            link/sit 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0
                            inet 172.19.254.242/24 brd 172.19.254.255 scope global wlan0
                        4: usb0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
                            inet 192.168.2.15/24 brd 192.168.2.255 scope global usb0
                            inet6 fe80::86ff:fe91:38d8/64 scope link
                        5: enp0s17u1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop qlen 1000
                            link/ether 00:0e:c6:c3:26:11 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

25) Run the DHCP client: udhcpc -i enp0s17u1. Here is my sample output:

udhcpc (v1.22.1) started
                        Sending discover...
                        Sending select for 172.28.64.223...
                        Lease of 172.28.64.223 obtained, lease time 28770

26) Run ifconfig to view the network interface. Here is my sample output:

enp0s17u1 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0e:c6:c3:26:11
                                  inet addr:172.28.64.223  Bcast:172.28.64.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
                                  inet6 addr: fe80::20e:c6ff:fec3:2611/64 Scope:Link
                                  RX packets:58 errors:29 dropped:5 overruns:0 frame:29
                                  TX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                                  RX bytes:4213 (4.1 KiB)  TX bytes:4292 (4.1 KiB)
                                  RX packets:960 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                                  TX packets:960 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                                  RX bytes:72960 (71.2 KiB)  TX bytes:72960 (71.2 KiB)
                        usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:00:86:91:38:d8
                                  inet addr:192.168.2.15  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
                                  inet6 addr: fe80::86ff:fe91:38d8/64 Scope:Link
                                  RX packets:332 errors:0 dropped:3 overruns:0 frame:0
                                  TX packets:152 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                                  RX bytes:44765 (43.7 KiB)  TX bytes:42070 (41.0 KiB)
                        wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr fc:c2:de:3f:41:6d
                                  inet addr:172.19.254.242  Bcast:172.19.254.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
                                  RX packets:267 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                                  TX packets:476 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                                  RX bytes:35196 (34.3 KiB)  TX bytes:63264 (61.7 KiB)

27) Run connman and enable/check your ethernet with the following commands:

systemctl enable connman
                        systemctl start connman
                        connmanctl enable ethernet
                        connmanctl services
                        connmanctl technologies

Here is my sample output after checking for services and technologies:

services:

*AO Wired      ethernet_000ec6c32611_cable
                        ITEmac         wifi_fcc2de3f416d_xxxxxxxd6163_managed_psk
                        ITEstaff       wifi_fcc2de3f416d_xxxxxxx374616666_managed_ieee8021x

technologies:

/net/connman/technology/ethernet
                          Name = Wired
                          Type = ethernet
                          Powered = True
                          Connected = True
                          Tethering = False
                        /net/connman/technology/bluetooth
                          Name = Bluetooth
                          Type = bluetooth
                          Powered = True
                          Connected = False
                          Tethering = False
                        /net/connman/technology/wifi
                          Name = WiFi
                          Type = wifi
                          Powered = True
                          Connected = False
                          Tethering = FalseChecking "
                          TetheringIdentifier = eca-fcc2de3f416d
                          TetheringPassphrase = fcc2de3f416d

28) Checking "ip a" now gives this delta:

inet6 fe80::fec2:deff:fe3f:416d/64 scope link
                            inet 192.168.2.15/24 brd 192.168.2.255 scope global usb0
                            inet6 fe80::86ff:fe91:38d8/64 scope link
                        5: enp0s17u1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP8000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
                            link/ether 00:0e:c6:c3:26:11 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
                            inet 172.28.64.223/24 brd 172.28.64.255 scope global enp0s17u1
                            inet6 fe80::20e:c6ff:fec3:2611/64 scope link

That's it! Hope that helps someone!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Ethernet with UGreen USB dongle
                          FerryT

Great description.

BTW:  Instead of manually modifying the kernel config, we have bitbake patch it. For this we created a file ending with cfg, smsc95xx.cfg, with:

CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC95XX=m

meta-intel-edison,'s linux-externalsrc.bb copies a fresh config from the kernel source cache so you will loose your changes each time you run setup.

However, bitbake knows how to patch the config file, so we add the following to our recipies linux-externalsrc.bbappend:

SRC_URI += "file://ftdi_sio.cfg"

This way we can add other config patches easily (CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO=m), and keep them together with kernel patches (rt-prempt patch, dma bugf size)

1 of 1 people found this helpful