Answers (N/A if not applicable)
Provide a detailed description of the issue
The display on my HP Spectre x360 laptop blinks on and off (i.e., it alternates between the normal Windows screen and a black screen without any display or mouse). The blinking occurs about every one second.
The computer is unusable when the display is blinking. The mouse returns to the center of the screen after every blink, so I can't use the mouse to do anything (e.g., disable the display).
Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")
Very Sporadic (<20%): X
Brand and Model of the system.
HP Spectre x360
Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter.
Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
I don't know.
Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).
Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
No other hardware is required.
This is a new computer.
Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).
See attachment named "Hardware Stepping.png"
Operating System version (see note2 below).
VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.
VBIOS is not listed on the Information page of the Intel Graphics Control Panel.
Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).
SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.
It happens randomly regardless of the software that is running, although I did see someone else report that it happened after he installed Visual Studio. I do have Visual Studio 2010 and 2015 installed, but rarely use them (and this happens regardless of whether VS has been run or is running).
Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).
Single display. Laptop screen.
Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).
AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?
AC, although I suspect it'd happen on DC.
How to repro
Please provide steps to replicate the issue. These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
- I have seen posts saying this is related to Apple iCloud or Norton Antivirus. I don't have either installed (and neither has ever been installed on this computer).
- I have run Windows Update to make sure I have the latest driver.
- I have run HP Support Assistant to check for updates.
- I contacted HP about this problem (and had it escalated). They have been unable to solve it.
- I have seen posts saying this can be related to a fingerprint reader. This computer doesn't have one. This computer doesn't have any additional hardware attached.
- I uninstalled and deleted the driver as recommended by Intel.
- The problem goes away if I disable the display adapter, but then I lose functionality (e.g., WebGL, screen resolutions, I have terrible performance in Photoshop, etc).
- This problem occurs randomly. Sometimes I can go for a day, other times it happens several times per hour. I've stopped using this brand new $2400 computer due to this problem.
- Sometimes the blinking begins when I wake up the computer. Sometimes it begins when I start Excel or Photoshop. Most of the time it just seems random.
- This is a new computer (with additional software installed).
- The computer is unusable when the blinking occurs.
- I’m a software engineer.