4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 7:48 AM by Intel Corporation

Not able to access BIOS via HDMI: UPDATE

TicoJohn

I love my NUC5i5RYH !  However there is this lingering and nagging issue with not being able to access the BIOS when connected to my 43" TV.  After a lot of investigating I have found what may be the issue.  It appears that the EDID data is not being read via the DDC lines. Using the get-edid command in Linux I found that there was no info available. I am fairly certain that the TV I have is capable of supporting 1024x768 resolution so it should be detectable by the BIOS, but if there is no data coming over the DDC line then there is no way for BIOS to know. Not sure why everything works okay once the OS boots but that is another story.

So, I'm not sure which way to turn. It could be that the HDMI cable I am using is too long or of poor quality. More likely the quality as the cable is only one meter in length. Or maybe the connection is not secure. I may try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, while in Linux, to see if I can get it to read the EDID info.

Would appreciate any LOW COST suggestions. LOL!

• 1. Re: Not able to access BIOS via HDMI: UPDATE
          TicoJohn

Well, turns out I am probably WRONG !  Just booted Linux and looked at the Monitor Settings. It shows several resolutions available so it must be getting the EDID. And I see that 1024x768 is NOT one of the resolutions available. looking at the TV settings I see that there is a 4:3 mode available so I may try setting the TV in that mode before starting the NUC. Maybe in the 4:3 mode it will have 1024x768 available. However, right now there is a thunderstorm approaching so I am going to shut down and disconnect everything. Power lines here in Costa Rica are pretty susceptible to lightning strikes.

I will update later.

• 2. Re: Not able to access BIOS via HDMI: UPDATE
            TicoJohn

Well, that didn't help.  Guess I am stuck with moving the NUC to the computer room to hook up to the monitor if I need to access BIOS. Fortunately I have updated the BIOS so there should not be a need, for awhile at least, to access BIOS. We can consider this post to be closed.

• 3. Re: Not able to access BIOS via HDMI: UPDATE
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi TicoJohn,

I wrote this in another thread that you posted.
              There are two common causes that BIOS Setup will not open:

Fast Boot has been enabled in the BIOS
              The HDMI resolution of the monitor is not supported.

Basically, if you are using an HDMI monitor or HDTV that doesn't support a resolution of 1024x768; you cannot access the Intel® Visual BIOS setup when pressing the F2 key.

Also, some USB monitors do not support access to BIOS Setup. This type of monitors will only begin to display during the operating system boot and after its drivers load. Power-on features such as boot logo, boot menu, and BIOS Setup will not be visible.

From my end I did not experience a similar issue, at this point, I suggest checking with your monitor manufacturer to see if they have a newer INF file version that you can install on your system.

Also, I can suggest the following:

Uninstall the Intel® Graphics driver; please see Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver

Once you uninstall the Intel® driver download the Beta driver and reinstall it, you can download it here:
              Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Once the driver is installed restart your system (it will ask to restart). If you are using HDMI Install the HDMI 2.0 Firmware Update. Please make sure you are not using any adapters, use a straight connection, I mean HDMI from the NUC port to an HDMI to the Monitor/TV port.

Make sure you also have the latest chipset driver and Intel® Management Engine Driver

Make sure you also have the latest BIOS version for your NUC, please see F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

If the problem continues, do you have high-quality HDMI cable?

If you are attempting to connect to a TV that supports 1080p, 4K, 3D or Deep Color, you will need to use a High-Speed HDMI Cable. To verify you have one of these, look along the cabling itself for the printed text which says “High-Speed HDMI Cable.” If it is not there, you may not be using a cable that is required to work with your display device.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 4. Re: Not able to access BIOS via HDMI: UPDATE
                alswain

To access the bios after enabling fast boot  in the bios, simply shut down your NUC unplug the power supply for a few seconds and restore power and boot again. The first boot will allow you in to the bios.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Not able to access BIOS via HDMI: UPDATE
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Great to know and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Regards,

Ivan