3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 10:13 AM by Intel Corporation

raid 5 fails to boot

wddanie

I did an update of w8.1 64 bit and my system will not boot. It has a raid 5 array with 3 disks and an Intel ssd working as a cache. I can see the drives in the RST bios settings, but the volume status is reported as verify. I tried booting from my w8.1 dvd and let it attempt a repair but it gets stuck in a repair loop that never completes. I tried using a restore point but it cannot find any. It is an asrock z77 extreme 4 mother board. Below is a pic of the rst bios screen. How should I proceed to try to repair it and save my data?

Thanks in advance for your help.

WP_20160607_13_14_38_Pro.jpg

• 1. Re: raid 5 fails to boot
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I understand something went wrong while updating the operating system, since this was a bootable RAID 5 status as verify, there is no way at this point to run verify and repair through Windows®, because some of the boot files are corrupted or damaged. 
          This is a Windows® issue, not a RAID problem because you mentioned that you tried to repair the operating system and gets stuck in a loop. 
          As a recommendation, you would need to reinstall the operating system and recreate the array. 

Allan. 

• 2. Re: raid 5 fails to boot
            wddanie

I had a suggestion to install the os on a new hd in this pc, then see if the damaged raid was readable. Does this sound feasible?

• 3. Re: raid 5 fails to boot
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Yes, you may try to install Windows® on different hard drive and see if data is still available through the RAID volume.

Allan.