1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 11:30 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings

OEFVet

Device Manager.PNG

Is this normal for a Skull Canyon?

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
          Scott_T

Device Manager 160608.PNGCPU-Z 160608.PNG

I assume you are referring to the CPU?

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
            OEFVet

I am referring to everything: I installed the Intel Chipset drivers and the intel ME drivers. Nearly everything listed there is a microsoft driver from 2006. Did I install the chipset drivers/ME drivers incorrectly?

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, OEFVet:

It is not so different from multiple devices that we have in here, in reference to the quantity of devices there.

system devices.PNGsystem devices 2.PNGsystem devices 3.PNG

Have you installed all windows updates?

Just to make sure, please try to reinstall the drivers below:

ME: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26051/Intel-Management-Engine-Driver-1-5M-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC?product=89187

Chipset: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26044/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-NUC?product=89187

Regards,
              Esteban C

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                OEFVet

Esteban,

None of this hardware is familiar: I do not have a Xeon or a C series chipset. I do not understand why the correct system components are not listed.

I am experiencing stability issues with audio and graphics as well as file system performance issues. The first step is to have the correct drivers. The intel driver update utility fails to install everything. My manual download and install of drivers has obviously failed miserably, nearly all of the devices listed have drivers dating 2006. I followed the installation instructions for Windows 10, installed the windows updates.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                  Intel Corporation

Thank you for your answer on this OEFVet.

I am sorry to hear you are having stability issues with this system but lets do the following to troubleshoot the issue:

Please perform a BIOS recovery to the latest release and then re-install the ME and chipset driver.

How to perform the BIOS recovery?: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005630.html

Latest BIOS release as of 6/13/2016: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26039/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-?product=89187

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                    OEFVet

Esteban,

I have tried all of that.

Can Intel can create a tool to modify a USB Windows 10 install to include the ME, chipset, video, audio, LAN, Wifi, Thunderbolt, Bluetooth drivers. These drivers need to be installed during the Windows installation process. I do not have the skills or the software to make a WIM deployment package. Something similar to:

Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                      Intel Corporation

Thank you for your suggestion OEFVet.

That would be a very useful tool to have, let me take that suggestion to upper management in order to get it reviewed.

In regards to the previous inquirty about the USB 3.0 utility, I already sent that to the investigation team in order to seek for a solution on it. As soon as I receive an answer from that, I will let you know.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,
                      Esteban C

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                        AaronL2

In response to the original question, I think the answer is yes, this is normal for a Skull Canyon.  I suspect that the Intel chipset package that is used for the Skull Canyon is a generic one that is also used for other Intel products, including 6th Generation Intel Xeon processors and the associated chipset.  I've also seen this phenomenon with 4th generation Intel processors and the associated Intel chipset package.  I would guess that there are components in common between 6th Generation Intel Core and Xeon processors, along with the associated chipsets, and Intel has settled on naming these components based on the Xeon name, not the Core name.  Regardless, it is highly doubtful that this is the cause of the stability issues that you are experiencing.

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                          OEFVet

Esteban,

I have been trying to figure it out on my own and cannot. What is needed is a way to add all of these Intel drivers into a Windows 10 install image.

The end result from Intel will be a simple program to inject Intel drivers into the Windows 10 installation package. The main ones being the RST, Graphics, Intel ME, Chipset, Audio, LAN, Wifi.

There is a program available from Microsoft to OEM driver injection: I believe it is called DSIM

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                            Gize2

AaronL2 is right, device listings share names between similar Intel hardware.  Adding device drivers into the install.wim for Windows 10 is not going to do anything different than you installing the drivers after setup has completed.

The Intel Chipset package does not really contain drivers, they are just .inf and .cat files that place identifiers on the devices.  Every device that gets a label from the Intel Chipset package usually has an associated Microsoft driver--the date does not matter.

"I am experiencing stability issues with audio and graphics as well as file system performance issues."   <-- I'm curious what those are, explain with specifics, and maybe we can help.

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                              cwizardtx

We need more NUC builders! 

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                                OEFVet

The problems:

HDMI wake up problem: goes to sleep; only way to get it back on; disconnect-reconnect the HDMI cable.

HDMI Audio problem; frequently the audio over HDMI is lost/ The TV is no longer listed under playback devices: disconnect-reconnect HDMI usually solves this.

Compatible resolutions of the monitor are not being read; upon adjustment to a compatible 4k resolution the Iris Pro selects a refresh rate automatically far beyond the capabilities of this panel resulting in a yellow flickering image and TV shutdown. ****The HDMI firmware took care of some of this; not all****

The performance of my Samsung 950 Pro is 30% less than the benchmarks online.

Frequent restarts.

Poor performance; system frequently hangs when moving files around, playing games, starting programs, installing programs, using USB hard drives and memory sticks.

My event log is full of errors/warnings:

The description for Event ID 0 from source igfxCUIService2.0.0.0 cannot be found.

The description for Event ID 3 from source iBtSiva cannot be found

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d756

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\SysWOW64\IntelCpHeciSvc.exe with process id 3080 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&SUBSYS_20648086&REV_31\3&11583659&0&B8.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\steamwebhelper.exe with process id 3544 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&SUBSYS_20648086&REV_31\3&11583659&0&B8.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\steamwebhelper.exe with process id 3544 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&SUBSYS_20648086&REV_31\3&11583659&0&B8.

***(there are 300-400 more of these; basically saying I ejected my SSD; never happened, this would probably explain the frequent unexplained restarts)

The description for Event ID 2 from source ESRV_SVC_WILLAMETTE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

(I have 100s of Willamette error/warnings messages in event viewer)

The description for Event ID 7001 from source Netwtw04 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

I have 184  Windows Error Reporting events basically telling me: "Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: PnPGenericDriverFound"

I am guessing the root cause of this is improper driver installations; I have asked Esteban if Intel can inject their drivers into the Windows 10 install media to have them installed with the OS. The Intel Driver Update Utility downloads the drivers but cannot successfully install any of them. I have downloaded all drivers and installed them one by one. Looking at the error messages: the drivers were obviously not installed properly.

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                                  Gize2

The performance of my Samsung 950 Pro is 30% less than the benchmarks online.

device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&SUBSYS_20648086&REV_31\3&11583659&0&B8.

***(there are 300-400 more of these; basically saying I ejected my SSD; never happened, this would probably explain the frequent unexplained restarts)

My question to others that own the NUC6i7KYK would be:  If you have an M.2 NVMe SSD installed, does 'Chipset SATA' in the BIOS need to be enabled?  It seems to me that it should be disabled since you're using a device that isn't SATA.   That could be where this whole problem lies.

If that isn't the case, "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A" is a device ID for an Intel chipset based SATA RAID controller, have you installed this?:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25396/RAID-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-for-Intel-NUC-Kits-NUC6i-x-SY-and-NUC6i7KY

Also, if you haven't already, install the Samsung NVMe driver found here:  http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

HDD/SSD and HDD/SSD controller issues can give problems all over, so start there and see what happens.

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYK Strange Device Manager Hardware Listings
                                    OEFVet

I decided to try RAID0 for this fresh Win10 Install. Yes, the RST Drivers were installed during the Windows 10 Installation. The Samsung NVMe drivers cannot be installed under a RAID setup because the system cannot see past the Intel RST. Not a big deal; I was getting similar stability and errors in the previous 3 "non-raid" win10 installs.

Once again; I believe the root cause of the instability is simply a driver installer error. I have owned Asus, Alienware, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Lenovo; every machine included a recovery partition/CD with drivers pre-injected. Of the pre-injected drivers: Im willing to bet 60% of them are Intel drivers. I know with my Alienware M14x it was mostly intel drivers: Cougar Point chipset, LAN, Wifi, Audio, Graphics, etc. It boots up and everything is properly installed during the Windows installation.

The chipset drivers in SetupChipset.exe: The command line switch "-extract" does not work on this file; even if I was skilled enough to use Microsoft DSIM I cannot gain access to the drivers to inject. Intel allowed extract cmd line switch in the past.

The IntelME package; same story

RAID0: No Drives

no drives.PNG

1 2 3 Previous Next